The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology - Unit 2 - 7th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sana210693
It Supports Biological even though Dr.Money was trying to prove the opposite of social influence so you say that biological development overides social/upbringing development in gender.
Because despite everything Brenda , still felt like a boy , was very masculine in behaviour and was very unhappy , so was turned into david so social influence is less powerful that biological development , which is more stronger.

Right, thanks :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by Bi0logical
Biological Explanation of Gender notes;

Chromosomes
Males; XY
Female; XX
Hormones
Male; Testosterone (Androgens)
Females; Oestrogen
Puberty
Male; Larnyx gets larger, deeper voice. Testes develop, pubic hair.
Female; Breasts grow, hips widen, pubic hair, gain weight after puberty.
Hormones/Behaviour
Males; Aggression
Females; Moodiness
Development of Foetus
Male; in 6 weeks, the Gonads develop into testes due to Androgens. Before this the chromosomes are XX (girls)
Females; At 6 weeks, there is no gender then the Gonads develop ovaries
Brain development
Males; Brain lateralised - right side more dominant.
Females; Bilateralised (Both lateralised) Also Corpus Collosum is more active and larger.
Evidence that Chromosomes affect behaviour
Males; Kinefelthers Syndrome (XXY) Wide Hips/Breasts
Females; Turner Syndrome - cant reproduce due to X missing, more Masculine.
Evidence that Hormones affect behaviour
Males; AIS (Androgen insensitivity syndrome) - Cells unable to respond to Testosterone
Females; CAH syndrome (congenital adrenal hyperplasmia) - Deep voice, impacts on menstrual cycle.

But i had a few queries

Isnt Males Brain dominant on the left hemisphere of the brain, not right ?
and you know the part where you said the testes developed due to androgens, androgens start to be produced when the testes have been developed to add masculinity ,
If the Y chromosome is present its the H-Y antigen hormone that stops female development and also the Anti- Mullerian Hormone promotes testes growth and stops ovaries from developing .
And before any of the hormones kick in its SRY protein that is 'Testes determining factor'
Reply 82
to what extent do we need to knowthe brain? Will we need to know what parts do what, & label where they are?
Reply 83
Original post by katie.lou
to what extent do we need to knowthe brain? Will we need to know what parts do what, & label where they are?

to some extent :
You need to know the functions Like the Hypothalmus is a small part that tells the pirtuitary gland to produce hormones... Phiffer study actually includes this where he takes the sex organs out and then the hypothalmus tells the pirtuitary to produce female hormones and vice versa.

if you study autism in the key issue , and you need pointers for why its seen as male condition so the differences in structures from autistic, male and female i.e corpus collosum are very small in autistic people , small in males and bigger in females.
The amygdala is abnormally large in autistic children than males are still big then female are more smaller
- CNS quite breifly, that its made from brain and spinal cord.
oh and you need to know that the neurotransmitter is in the vesicle inside the neuron, it then fuses with the wall or the terminal buttion, then passes at synaptic gap , recieved at the receptor/ or dendrite
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
to some extent :
You need to know the functions Like the Hypothalmus is a small part that tells the pirtuitary gland to produce hormones... Phiffer study actually includes this where he takes the sex organs out and then the hypothalmus tells the pirtuitary to produce female hormones and vice versa.

if you study autism in the key issue , and you need pointers for why its seen as male condition so the differences in structures from autistic, male and female i.e corpus collosum are very small in autistic people , small in males and bigger in females.
The amygdala is abnormally large in autistic children than males are still big then female are more smaller
- CNS quite breifly, that its made from brain and spinal cord.
oh and you need to know that the neurotransmitter is in the vesicle inside the neuron, it then fuses with the wall or the terminal buttion, then passes at synaptic gap , recieved at the receptor/ or dendrite
thank you! :smile:
But i had a few queries

Isnt Males Brain dominant on the left hemisphere of the brain, not right ?
and you know the part where you said the testes developed due to androgens, androgens start to be produced when the testes have been developed to add masculinity ,
If the Y chromosome is present its the H-Y antigen hormone that stops female development and also the Anti- Mullerian Hormone promotes testes growth and stops ovaries from developing .
And before any of the hormones kick in its SRY protein that is 'Testes determining factor'

My notes state it's the right side which is more dominant -.-
Can anyone confirm the actual side which is dominant in males?
Reply 86
My notes state it's the right side which is more dominant -.-
Can anyone confirm the actual side which is dominant in males?

My notes and textbooks state that the right side is more dominant for males as that's the one that's used for spatial tasks, patterns, creativity, etc. Whereas the left side is more focused language, analysis, etc. Women use both hemispheres equally, but males are dominant in the right hemisphere.
Reply 87
Strange my text book says the left :s im confused what to write now.

Oh wait my book states that the brain is more active on the left for linguistic tasks for like logical , problem solving etc, but in spatial awarness tasks males use more of their right hemisphere but its the same for both female and women on spatial awarness tasks.

evidence from brain damage shows links that strokes are more more detrimental to male then female, as females have more unaffected hemispheres area due to bilateral activity which can then take over for the damaged area whereas males commonly use more of their left so they will be more affected with speech etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for clearing that up Sana and Oli :smile:
Not sure if I've already posted notes on the 'Dreams - Key Issue';

Dream's are the royal road to the Unconscious mind. Repressed contents are pushed in the Unconscious mind. Dreams act as a safe release of 'emotional steam'. most dreams are wish fulfilment, some dreams however help resolve conflict.
Manifest = The literal content of the dream. The story-line of the dream.
Latent = The underlying wishes contained in the dream, or the underlying meaning of the dream, which can be discovered by interpreting the symbols used in the dream.
The unconscious mind controls much of our thinking and behaviour; the ego trys to control the commands of the ID through defence mechanisms, such as repression; however through dreams our unconscious desires can often be expressed.
However even in our dreams our ego still work to protect our conscious mind from the unconscious mind; we dream in symbols.

Evidence supporting dreams have meaning comes from Little Hans;
Plumber = castration anxiety
Hammer = Penis
Pocket = Vagina (These are all symbol analysis)

Against;
Dreams could be biological. Seratonin is still active when sleeping. As this is scientific it can be tested.
Dreams have no meaning because it is the things that have gone on during the day and are dreamt.
Dreams are not testable as they occur in the unconscious mind, the dreams are also biased because they are our own interpretations. Interpretations by an analyst are open to subjectivity; it is biased.
Crick and Mitcheson - Brain sifts through information gathered throughout the day and throws out all the unwanted material

Relevance to today's society;
Explains people feelings - psychotherapy
Mental Health problems (depression/anxiety, etc)
(edited 12 years ago)
Moving slowly onto Biological :smile:

Assumptions of the Biological approach;
- We can understand humans by studying animals
- All behaviour is determined by our genes
- Psychology should only use scientific methods
- All behaviour can be explained in terms of the nervous system and other physiological systems such as the endocrine system

BRAIN Lobes;
Frontal; Emotions, speech, problem solving.
Parietal; Movement/orientation and co-ordination
Occipital; Vision
Temporal; Memory, audio recognition.

Nervous System
Dendrite; Receives nerve impulses from nearby neurones.
Nucleus; Controls the activity of the neurone
Axon; Carries the message (pathway)
Myelin Sheath; Insulates the impulse/message, prevents it getting lost.

There are three different types of Neurones in the body;
Sensory Neurones: Carry information from the senses to the CNS (central nervous system)
Motor Neurones: Carry information from CNS to the muscles/glands.
Relay Neurones: Carry information between the different types of neurones

When two neurones meet, there is a tiny gap called a Synapse. Signals cross this gap using chemicals called Neurotransmitters. One neurone releases the chemical into the gap. The chemical diffuses across the gap and make the next neurone transmit an electrical signal by binding to a receptor. The receptors on each neurone are specific to different neurotransmitters.

Genetics;
Genes are short pieces of DNA, which tell the body which protein to make. Strands of DNA coil up to make chromosomes. Chromosomes are found in the nucleus of all cells. 23 Pairs of chromosomes, one from each pair comes from each parent.

The nervous system is made of the peripheral nervous system and the central nervous system.
The CNS consists of the brain and spinal cord.
The peripheral nervous system consists of the Sematic nervous system (voluntary) and the Autonomic nervous system (auto)
The Autonomic nervous system consists of Symphatetic Nervous system (makes you do something) and the parasympathetic nervous system (stops sympathetic nervous system, slows it down)
Evaluating the use of Animals
Practical issues
Strengths;
- Animals do not have any prior knowledge or experience that will affect their behavior.
- Animals are small and easy to handle
- It is possible to have more control over animal environments because animals can be caged.
- Drugs have been developed that would not have been developed without the use of animals.

Weaknesses;
- Animal research is expensive as high levels of care are required
- Strict animal welfare guidelines have to be adhered to

Credibility
Strengths;
- Animals and humans share evolutionary history
- Some animals have very similar brain structures and endocrine systems to humans.
- Animals have shorter gestational and reproductive cycles than humans
- Many procedures can be carried out on animals which cant be done on Humans.

Weakness;
- Humans and animals brains are very different in many ways
- Animals do not have much social influence on behavior as humans do.
- Comparing animals to humans is seen as dehumanising by many psychologists

Ethical issues
Strengths;
- Pro-speciesism - Humans should improve their quality of life by whatever means necessary.

Weakness;
- Animals do not suffer the same diseases as humans do
- Animals must be destroyed following participation in research
- Animals are confined for longer periods of than normal in unfamiliar environments
- Surgical procedures may cause animal pain and suffering
Reply 92
hi

i am currently studying A2 and am resitting the unit 2 Psychology, as i do not have my notes from last year i would be great full if someone could help me out.

i need the practical for all approaches, and the psychodynamic key issue, pls help me out some one as i need it urgently

thanks everyone
Hey me 2!

Anyone mind sharing any notes they've done on their computer,
think of it as a favor and how many people you would help out.
Original post by Glow Cream
Hey me 2!

Anyone mind sharing any notes they've done on their computer,
think of it as a favor and how many people you would help out.

I've posted powerpoints on each section (psychodynamic/biological/learning)
I'll also post random notes as I'm going along with revision. What do you need help on?
I've posted powerpoints on each section (psychodynamic/biological/learning)
I'll also post random notes as I'm going along with revision. What do you need help on?

Hi bi0logical
you got msn, since i've got a few questions to throw at you.
:smile:
Does anyone know if we need to evaluate cross sectional and longitudinal studies, just like the strengths and weaknesses of each??
Raine et al 1997
Aim

To investigate the patterns of brain activity in murderers and controls using PET scanning in order to see if there are differences in areas of the prefrontal cortex as this area has been linked to aggression.

Procedure/Method (how the study was conducted, what happened in the study, who was used in the study)

Method & Design: Laboratory Experiment in Matched Pairs Design Matched on Age, Sex and Schizophrenia (2 cases of).

Materials: PET Scanner and Object Recognition Tasks

Participants: 41 NGRI’s (39 males and 2 females) and 41 matched controls. (39 males and 2 females). There were also 2 participants in each condition that were diagnosed with schizophrenia. Participants had a mean age of 34.3 and were admitted to neuroimaging for individual reasons which were to compile their defense.

Controls: All participants were kept medication free for 2 weeks prior to the beginning of the study to ensure validity that the drugs did not affect the results of the experiment. All prisoners were also kept in custody, so that their behaviour would not impact on their brain activity. All participants also carried out the same object recognition tasks to ensure that the activity within the brain was equal for all participants, i.e. that some participants were not engaging in more cognitive tasks than others.

Procedure: All of the participants were injected with a glucose tracer, required to work at a continuous performance task that was based around target recognition for 32 minutes, and then given a PET scan. The NGRI’s were compared with the controls on the level of activity (glucose metabolism) in right and left hemispheres of the brain in 14 selected areas. The researchers looked at activity in six cortical areas (part of the cerebral cortex which is the outermost layer of nerve tissues of the cerebral hemispheres) and eight subcortical areas (brain structures below the cortex)

Cortex
Frontal lobes: NGRI’s show less activity than controls
Parietal lobes: NGRI’s show less activity than controls
Temporal lobes: No difference between the two conditions
Occipital lobes: NGRI’s show more activity than controls
Sub-cortex
Corpus Callosum: NGRI’s show less activity than controls
Amygdala: NGRI’s show more activity than controls (especially in right hemisphere)
Medial temporal lobe & hippocampus: NGRI’s show more activity than controls
Thalamus: NGRI’s show more activity than controls (especially in right hemisphere)

Summary of differences;

NGRI’s show significantly more activity in the subcortical areas than the controls, signifying that the difference in their aggressions and violence levels may be due to the amount of subcortical activity as a whole.

NGRI’s also show significantly less activity in the frontal and temporal lobes of the brain, suggesting that reduced activity in this area may influence the levels of violence and aggression demonstrated in NGRI’s behaviour.

Conclusion;

The results show that murderers pleading NGRI have differences in brain activity in a number of areas compared to controls. Lower activity in the frontal cortex may explain impulsive behaviour, loss of self control and inability to change behaviour. Differences in the amygdala could suggest a fearlessness theory of violence.

Evaluation;

Research methods;
matched pairs design for control, reliability, validity and application

Do not tell us why they act in a way that they do, the study just details the findings and differences of brain activity.

Generalisability;
Not generalisable to all violent acts; just to those NGRI's.

Reliability;
Very reliable, can easily be replicable due to controlled/standardised

Application;
Good application because research has been continued and drug therapy developed following it.

Validity (internal and external)
Excellent validity due to presence of controls in the study
Lacks external/ecological validity, because research is not a true reflection of real-life. ambiguous tasks recognition tasks do not reflect the real world NGRI’s may think more about aggression and violence and did not get the opportunity to.

Ethics;
Participant (NGRI's) may have been forced to take part by lawyers, also they were off medication for 2 weeks might have caused slight harm if they needed medication
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Glow Cream
Hi bi0logical
you got msn, since i've got a few questions to throw at you.
:smile:

Just PM me, I dont use MSN.
Original post by Muggle#334025
Does anyone know if we need to evaluate cross sectional and longitudinal studies, just like the strengths and weaknesses of each??

I think when we evaluate a method we just use strengths and weaknesses, correct me if I'm wrong.

Cross-sectional
e.g. Investigating a smokers lung from the ages from 18-21
so 4 p's will be used and investigated at each of the ages
strengths; Quick
weaknesses; Too many participants (also participant bias)

Longitudinal studies
strengths; Longitudinal studies are useful for looking at development trends.
They are the main way to see how an individuals development affects certain characteristics.
Use the same participant, for long period of time. This means participant variables (variables between the participant taking part) will not give bias in the results.

Weaknesses: It can be hard to keep all of the p's for each of the measures - people may drop out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending