The Student Room Group

Degree classification- 3 different methods

I'm currently a second year student at the University Of Portsmouth. I was just wondering how is your final degree classified? i.e. how do they calculate whether you get a 2.2, 2.1 or a 1st?

http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/faculties/portsmouthbusinessschool/undergraduatecentre/degreeclassification/

I found this information that states that they use one method from the 3 methods listed. The first method is that they calculate the average mark from the final year units. How can this method be used is they say that your second year is worth 40% of your final degree? :confused:
Reply 1
*if they say that your second year is worth 40% of your final degree?
Reply 2
Where does it say that your second year counts for 40%?

It can count as 40% (method 2)...
Reply 3
The course tutor said that it counts for 40%. But they can use either of the three methods. I still don't enderstand why they would use the first method, if they have said that the second year counts towards 40% of your degree?
Reply 4
If you get higher marks in your third year, they will sometimes use those marks only. I think.

But it's usually 40/60 or whatever it says in your course manual.
Reply 5
They would use the 2nd method only if this offers you a better classification than the 1st method, according to your link: There are three methods used to calculate your degree classification. The best result is awarded
Reply 6
They use whichever method gives you the highest classification.

If you did badly in 2nd year but excelled in 3rd year, it would be far more beneficial for you if they put full weighting on your 3rd year instead.
Reply 7
Original post by Amber_89
The course tutor said that it counts for 40%. But they can use either of the three methods. I still don't enderstand why they would use the first method, if they have said that the second year counts towards 40% of your degree?

Well one of them is incorrect! Has there been a change in regulation recently?
Reply 8
I'm from Portsmouth university as well

they use 3 methods and pick the highest calculation as a classification. if you gain a 2.1 in in 3rd year but your second year results were okish..they will calculate the degree classification only using the 3rd year. Unlike most top university Portsmouth university encourage as many people as they can to gain 1st class (70%) overall.

PM me if you need further info
Is it true they will use only 5 units of your final year?
Do u think the average of 64,64,64,53,50,44, can fetch one 2.1? Please I need a help
Original post by Sweetslove
Do u think the average of 64,64,64,53,50,44, can fetch one 2.1? Please I need a help

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=(64%2B64%2B64%2B53%2B50%2B44)%2F6
Reply 12
can 64+64+61+62+62+58 can fetch one 2:1 ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending