The Student Room Group

Calculation of final grade

Hi,
How are the final classifications worked out at uni? Are they all different or are they worked out the same. I am confused because some people say that your 2nd year counts towards it but some people say that only your 3rd year counts.

How hard is it to get a 1st class honours at the end of university and what did everyone get?

Thanks
Original post by larajharrods
Hi,
How are the final classifications worked out at uni? Are they all different or are they worked out the same. I am confused because some people say that your 2nd year counts towards it but some people say that only your 3rd year counts.

How hard is it to get a 1st class honours at the end of university and what did everyone get?

Thanks

It’s dependent on your year by year weightage mostly your 3rd year is considered the heaviest and counts most towards classifying your degree. It really depends on hardwork, consistency and performance towards getting a first class honours degree. I had got 56.4% so I was 3.6% off a upper second class honours 2:1 so I got a 2:2 still gutted :frown:
Hi,

Thanks

Different universities have different methods of calculating final grades; in fact many have multiple methods and you get whatever is highest.

In some unis, first year also counts.
Hi,

Thanks

Hello,

Obviously each university has their own ways of calculating what does and doesn’t count towards a degree but that should be easy enough to find on the university website!

For example at Lancaster university, first year does not count at all towards your final degree whereas 2nd and 3rd year do count with 120 credits total each year.

But other universities might weigh each year differently (i.e 2nd year is worth 40% and 3rd year is worth 60%) and some might also include first year.

However, at the end of your degree the grades are always the same. So a total mark of 40% is a third, 50% is lower second, 60% is upper second and 70% is a first. Some unis might round it up a couple percent but the general consensus is what I’ve said.

I got my degree the other week and I achieved an upper second with 66%

Hope this helps,
Dom
Hi,

Thanks

Every university has a proprietary classification methodology. It will be outlined in there regulations - normally available online.

in general most unis weight about 2/3’s final year 1/3 second year (some use algorithms and have different rules around how to weight various credits & borderline cases).

Getting a first, how hard? Depends on the student & the course, in general I find succeeding at university is about how motivated you are & your ability to adapt to independent learning & academically progressing. If your willing to invest time & be organised then its very achievable.

i left with a 1st/distinction on both my bachelors & on my masters.
Hi,

Thanks

Hi there,

If you want to confirm that your University and course has the same 'typical' system that the other posters have described below then I would advise you to take a look at your School/Course handbook which will set out the system and rules by which your final classification will be calculated.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending