Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Getting to the Bar and GDL Scholarship Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody, i'm new here. I'm just writing for two reasons, firstly, from all of your combined knowledge and experience do I have a shot at the bar/scholarship?

Qualifications: (State School)

A levels: Politics (A) History (A) Geography (A)

University of York Politics BA w/ Hons (2:1)

University of Warwick Politics MA (current average Merit)

BPP, Waterloo Part-time (Accepted)

--

NO legal work experience.

--

A 2 week work placement at The Times (Homes News Desk / Marketing)
    Work experience with MP (albeit, some years ago now)

---

Only volunteering I have is 2 years as an unpaid boxing coach.

I also have various part-time and summer jobs under my belt but these are primarily retail etc.

I have a scholarship interview with Inner Temple so any tips on what to expect etc would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Your qualifications are pretty standard. I don't know how the interview goes. Obviously something in your application impressed them. If you get a scholarship, that's great. But there are reams of candidates with 3 As and a 2:i from a good uni, some with a masters, and more don't than do get pupillage. If you don't get the scholarship, I'd give real consideration to whether you'd be content to try to become a solicitor--most people don't make it to the bar, so you're taking on a lot of debt for a relatively small chance.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with jjarvis. i'm sorry if it sounds a bit negative, but you will probably need the scholarship to set yourself apart from all the other extremely well-qualified candidates who're aiming for the Bar - just take a look at the Pupillage 2011 thread here to see how much agony is involved!

but if you do get a scholarship, it's a bit like getting a seal of approval - so that'll help. if you're looking for interview tips, try the Inns of Court scholarship group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inns-o...37476092932632 I know it has some GDL scholarship tips.

one thing you'll definitely be asked is: how do you know you want a career at the bar if you haven't done any mini-pupillages? that's something to really think about before you go in.

hope that helps.

PS: it is very possible to get a scholarship without having a mini-pupillage under your belt - one my friends did - but you need to be pretty phenomenal and convincing the panel that you're committed to a career at the Bar!

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.