The Student Room Group

Birkbeck online GDL v ULaw v BPP

Hi. I've seen a lot of discussion about ULaw v BPP for the online PgDL, I'm just wondering why Birkbeck isn't usually thrown into the mix? Theirs is a GDL, so no Company Law (EU instead), but it's fully online, cheaper than ULaw and BPP, and has a good reputation. Any reason to avoid this in favour of ULaw or BPP?

(For context I'm intending to pursue the barrister path so suitability for SQE is not an issue for me).
Hey - I can't give you advice on Birbeck but I would really stress that I would not recommend BPP based on their exam policies. They really shifted me and it left me with the only option to drop out and restart at Ulaw.
Reply 2
Original post by Milomungry99
Hey - I can't give you advice on Birbeck but I would really stress that I would not recommend BPP based on their exam policies. They really shifted me and it left me with the only option to drop out and restart at Ulaw.

Thanks for your reply - would you be willing to expand on the policies that caused the issue?
Original post by Db2r
Thanks for your reply - would you be willing to expand on the policies that caused the issue?

I failed one exam, but gained merit and distinctions in all my other exams. I had the ability to resit the exam and I would capped at 50% so a pass which I had no issue with. The problem lies with the following; if for example my overall average was 67% (merit), because I resat one exam, their policy is that, that one failed exam affects your overall grade and that you can know only gain a pass overall! Which is CRAZY and horrifically unfair considering there are so many factors that can affect you on exam day. For this one module, we also were never given an official tutor, each week we had a different tutors and they all significantly varied in how well they taught.

I further contacted BPP for advice on what to do, that if I now can only get a pass but I still have an overall percentage of 67% how do I apply for further course or jobs if they only see the pass grade and do not take my ACTUAL overall average percentage in consideration. They said they could not help with it and hope employers do not see it.

There was also another situation where we were suggested to contact emergency services instead of the university if we had issues regarding our exams.

I have spoken to numerous of people from different campuses and they have felt BPP is a great option if you are super academically smart and require no assistance. But the PGDL is TOUGH, 3 years combined into 8 months is a lot to take in and for most people you need as much support as you possibly as can get. I just don't feel like I got this from BPP personally.

Do you have a training contract lined up?
Reply 4
I failed one exam, but gained merit and distinctions in all my other exams. I had the ability to resit the exam and I would capped at 50% so a pass which I had no issue with. The problem lies with the following; if for example my overall average was 67% (merit), because I resat one exam, their policy is that, that one failed exam affects your overall grade and that you can know only gain a pass overall! Which is CRAZY and horrifically unfair considering there are so many factors that can affect you on exam day. For this one module, we also were never given an official tutor, each week we had a different tutors and they all significantly varied in how well they taught.

I further contacted BPP for advice on what to do, that if I now can only get a pass but I still have an overall percentage of 67% how do I apply for further course or jobs if they only see the pass grade and do not take my ACTUAL overall average percentage in consideration. They said they could not help with it and hope employers do not see it.

There was also another situation where we were suggested to contact emergency services instead of the university if we had issues regarding our exams.

I have spoken to numerous of people from different campuses and they have felt BPP is a great option if you are super academically smart and require no assistance. But the PGDL is TOUGH, 3 years combined into 8 months is a lot to take in and for most people you need as much support as you possibly as can get. I just don't feel like I got this from BPP personally.

Do you have a training contract lined up?

Many thanks for your detailed reply, I appreciate you taking the time to explain it and agree it seems unfair.

As I'm going down the barrister route I don't think training contracts apply, if I've understood correctly? They are only for solicitors? For barristers it seems like the only options are scholarships or self funding.
Reply 5
Original post by Db2r
Hi. I've seen a lot of discussion about ULaw v BPP for the online PgDL, I'm just wondering why Birkbeck isn't usually thrown into the mix? Theirs is a GDL, so no Company Law (EU instead), but it's fully online, cheaper than ULaw and BPP, and has a good reputation. Any reason to avoid this in favour of ULaw or BPP?

(For context I'm intending to pursue the barrister path so suitability for SQE is not an issue for me).

Where is your first degree from, and what is it in?
Original post by Db2r
Many thanks for your detailed reply, I appreciate you taking the time to explain it and agree it seems unfair.

As I'm going down the barrister route I don't think training contracts apply, if I've understood correctly? They are only for solicitors? For barristers it seems like the only options are scholarships or self funding.

I'm also going down the barrister route!!
Yeah TC's are only for solicitors.

BPP and Ulaw have great scholarship funding options. When are you wanting to do the PGDL? If it's next year, deffo look into Inns of Courts Scholarships, I managed to get one from Inner Temple and they then promised funding for my bar year which is so ideal as its expensive.
Reply 7
Original post by Trinculo
Where is your first degree from, and what is it in?

Politics from Hull, 20+ years ago!
Reply 8
Original post by Db2r
Politics from Hull, 20+ years ago!

Depending on what you've been doing in the intervening period, it probably won't matter where you go for the GDL. Its just an administrative requirement. I would personally be as cynical and mercenary as possible with law schools. They simply want your money and will promise you anything to get you to sign up. Also, never believe anything they tell you about graduate destinations.
(edited 10 months ago)
Have a look at some barristers' profiies (young ones) on websites to see where they did the GDL (80% of solicitors use UoL or BPP for law post grad - City Consortium firms use BPP even under the SQE system)

(On being capped at a pass for one failed subject I think that may be a regulator's rule rather than a special rule for BPP)
Original post by Db2r

Hi @Db2r

Unfortunately, I am unable to help you concerning the Birkbeck law conversion course, however, I think it is worth considering where you want to study your BPC after completing your conversion course if you are going to pursue the Barrister route. I personally think a really good reason for choosing to study the BPC where you studied your law conversion is that you are already comfortable with the teaching style, the set up of the university and even some of the tutors. Of course, there is nothing wrong with studying the BPC at a different institution than your conversion course, but I know that I have found personally that when already doing an intense course, it makes life a lot easier if you do not have to concern yourself with additional stresses. I am unsure of other providers, but if you study both courses with ULaw then you will be able to access an alumni discount on the BPC which I found to be a great attraction as a career in law is not cheap!

I hope this helps and good luck choosing!

Sophie :smile:
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Reply 11
I'm also going down the barrister route!!
Yeah TC's are only for solicitors.

BPP and Ulaw have great scholarship funding options. When are you wanting to do the PGDL? If it's next year, deffo look into Inns of Courts Scholarships, I managed to get one from Inner Temple and they then promised funding for my bar year which is so ideal as its expensive.

Thanks for your reply. I'm looking to start in September so unfortunately I missed the Inns of Court scholarships - I found out about them about a week after the deadline. Congratulations on getting one, that's great. Good luck in your continued studies and career.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending