The Student Room Group

Edexcel Linear Higher Non-Calc June 2011 Model answers on the actual paper (1st post)

Attached to this post are the model answers to the 6th June 2011 Non-Calc Higher Paper. They are intended for personal use only, I will remove them from the thread in a week or so.

I will happily remove the model answers before then if requested to do so by site admin

I have also attached a revision list for the Calculator paper on Friday, it is by no means comprehensive but it is everything I could think of at the time.

The paper was certainly the most difficult of the new spec papers. It had many very straight forward standard questions but it also had quite a few questions that needed more thought and potentially could cause problems.

Boundaries

The boundaries for each paper are decided by how well candidates do on the paper; the grade B boundary is roughly the mean national mark. The grade A and C boundaries are set by looking at the standard deviation of marks. Grades B and A* then fall at equal intervals.

The total boundary /200 required for each grade is then simply found by adding the two boundaries for each paper. Although the A* boundary could differ slightly depending on the % of candidates who would achieve an A* using the sum of the two A* boundaries. About 5% of candidates are expected to achieve an A*.

Here are the past boundaries

HIGHER

J08 N08 J09 N09 J10 N10 Average
A* 169 159 173 174 176 170 170.2
A 140 132 141 141 141 136 138.5
B 102 98 105 103 103 102 102.2
C 65 65 70 66 66 68 66.7
D 34 35 40 39 39 42 38.2

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 2008 boundaries as CWK accounted for 20% of the mark, which usually dragged down the A* boundary a little. Also because it was a new spec, many centres, in hindsight, entered students for Higher when they would have been better off taking Foundation, which dragged down the mean mark and boundaries.

Predicting boundaries for these papers is pure guess work but I would be very surprised if much more than 80 was required for an A* on this paper.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got H=2x for that hemisphere question... agh!

And I did the transformation the wrong way round, from the wrong triangle to the other.

Failed the density question, and for that triangle question I spoke about R.H.S...

Ah well, goodbye A*. Overall I think I got 81, give or take.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
i got h=2x as well i think that is right because the formula for the hemisphere was 2/3 pi r^3? and that dumb density question i did one silly mistake! for the gradient i got -1/2 for the last question was easy... cant remember what i wrote!
Reply 3
The cone question was like root3x or root3x^2 and the density one was 38400??
Reply 4
Original post by Arsey
Attached to this post are the model answers to the 6th June 2011 Non-Calc Higher Paper. They are intended for personal use only, I will remove them from the thread in a week or so.

I will happily remove the model answers before then if requested to do so by site admin

I have also attached a revision list for the Calculator paper on Friday, it is by no means comprehensive but it is everything I could think of at the time.

The paper was certainly the most difficult of the new spec papers. It had many very straight forward standard questions but it also had quite a few questions that needed more thought and potentially could cause problems.

Boundaries

The boundaries for each paper are decided by how well candidates do on the paper; the grade C boundary is roughly the mean national mark. The grade A boundary is then set by looking at the standard deviation of marks. Grades B and A* then fall at equal intervals.

The total boundary /200 required for each grade is then simply found by adding the two boundaries for each paper. Although the A* boundary could differ slightly depending on the % of candidates who would achieve an A* using the sum of the two A* boundaries. About 5% of candidates are expected to achieve an A*.

Here are the past boundaries

HIGHER

J08 N08 J09 N09 J10 N10 Average
A* 169 159 173 174 176 170 170.2
A 140 132 141 141 141 136 138.5
B 102 98 105 103 103 102 102.2
C 65 65 70 66 66 68 66.7
D 34 35 40 39 39 42 38.2

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 2008 boundaries as CWK accounted for 20% of the mark, which usually dragged down the A* boundary a little. Also because it was a new spec, many centres, in hindsight, entered students for Higher when they would have been better off taking Foundation, which dragged down the mean mark and boundaries.

Predicting boundaries for these papers is pure guess work but I would be very surprised if much more than 80 was required for an A* on this paper.

are you sure about your answers some of them seem wrong to me!
Reply 5
your lucky i pretty much blanked out in the exam I got about 70! When I was suppose to get an a* I really need to try and get full marks in this next paper... i've been so stresses I couldn't sleep!
Reply 6
omg i got 81 too... i read that surface are cone thing question wrong!!!! i thought it said volume omg im sooo dumb... goodbye A*
Reply 7
38400 is righ i just calculated i mean i got that wrong!!!
Reply 8
for the make k the subject i got:
tk-2t=k
-2t=k-tk
-2t=k-tk
-2t=k(-t+1)
k=-2t/-t+1
Reply 9
For the translation it was which shape to which shape?! dont tell me i got that wrong as well. i got 6,1?
Reply 10
Original post by 5015
For the translation it was which shape to which shape?! dont tell me i got that wrong as well. i got 6,1?

You did it from the wrong shape. I did the same thing too, any method marks there perhaps...? *clutches at straws*
Reply 11
Are you serious?! That was only like two marks though right? I need all the marks i can get, i didnt have time to check as spent so long on the last few answers
Reply 12
Original post by 5015
Are you serious?! That was only like two marks though right? I need all the marks i can get, i didnt have time to check as spent so long on the last few answers

If you said "translation", you get a mark.
Reply 13
Original post by examgirl
are you sure about your answers some of them seem wrong to me!

yes, they are correct.
Reply 14
Well tahts a bit of a relief, but wih the other 20 odd marks im prety sure i lost, i think i can forget the A*...
Reply 15
Original post by Arsey

Boundaries

The boundaries for each paper are decided by how well candidates do on the paper; the grade C boundary is roughly the mean national mark. The grade A boundary is then set by looking at the standard deviation of marks. Grades B and A* then fall at equal intervals.

Any chance you have a copy of the foundation paper? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Tulareyn
I got H=2x for that hemisphere question... agh!

And I did the transformation the wrong way round, from the wrong triangle to the other.

Failed the density question, and for that triangle question I spoke about R.H.S...

Ah well, goodbye A*. Overall I think I got 81, give or take.

I doubt the A* boundary will be much more than 81 and you may have got some additional method marks.

Just spank the paper on Friday and you will get an A*.
Reply 17
urrgg....i counted up the marks i knew i dropped.. which ended up at about 25...now looking at this i thinking its more like 35 marks dropped.....i need to do really well in the calculator paper cos my teacher was counted on me to get an A*...thats not going to happen tho...i just hope a grade A is still reachable :/ ....that paper was definatly one of the hardest ive ever seen tho..
I've done dreadful, even with the boundaries reduced. :/
Anyone willing to try and predict the grade boundaries please?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by xchasingdesire
I've done dreadful, even with the boundaries reduced. :/
Anyone willing to try and predict the grades please?

It is guess work, it depends how everyone has done

there were some tricky questions, so the mean mark will be slightly lower than on previous papers but I think there will be far less candidates getting very high marks which will reduce the standard deviation.

The overall grades, D, C and B boundaries do not vary very much.

Maybe

C - 27
B - 45
A - 63
A* - 81

I am expecting a more straight forward second paper on Friday

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending