The Student Room Group

Edexcel Linear Higher Non-Calc June 2011 Model answers on the actual paper (1st post)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by test_drive
Nice :smile: Think I got 97!!!
Dropped one on the transformations by doing it going Q onto P
Another on the prism, because i didn't realise the length was in metres
And one on the one with the cone and the hemisphere because I wrote SQRT(3x^2) and didn't simplify it to x(SQRT(3)

Stupid, stupid mistakes...never mind though

I did the same mistake as you for the prism one - are you sure they would only penalise you with one mark? other have said the best I could get is 3/5 for that question
Reply 41
hi, i sat this exam, but would like to actually go through it again before i look at the answers. do you have a blank copy of the exam you could upload ?
thanks
Reply 42
[size="7"]i have counted up marks and i believe i got somewhere in the region of

47-55 how many marks would i need on the calculator in order to secure grade b[/color]
Reply 43
100 marks unfortunately:frown:
Just aim for an A* and you will get a B with ease :wink:
Reply 44
[QUOTE="lukeMC;31997122"]i have counted up marks and i believe i got somewhere in the region of

47-55 how many marks would i need on the calculator in order to secure grade b[/color]

Mate, youll get an B easy, but i recon the A will be around 65 so work on allt the A grade topics and you can still get an A if yu do well on calc :smile:
Original post by oli_G
I did the same mistake as you for the prism one - are you sure they would only penalise you with one mark? other have said the best I could get is 3/5 for that question

Dunno, I'd assume so, as they don't usually carry errors forward, and you only made 1 error...i guess they might drop a second mark for the answer though, maybe it would be
1 mark - calculate area of cross section
1 mark - convert m to cm
1 mark - find volume of the prism
1 mark - find mass of prism
1 mark - final answer
So yeah, they could drop 2.
It's no big deal for me though if they do
is the A grade 65+??? because i fink i got 65. So dat means i need 65 in cal to get A overall???
Original post by khalidpatel
is the A grade 65+??? because i fink i got 65. So dat means i need 65 in cal to get A overall???

65 is normally a mid B but if the boundaries are low for this paper then perhaps it's a low A..
right what do you think might be an A overall out of 200? normally its 140's but November 2010 it was 136. Any ideas?
Reply 49
Original post by InadequateJusticex
Boundaries are decided with the two papers combined. You don't get two different grade boundaries. I think he's assuming the Calculator paper will be as difficult but we won't know until friday.

you do get boundaries for each paper. The results of each paper determine their boundaries; these are added together to give the overall boundary out of 200.

Here are the Nov 10 boundaries

A* A B C D E
1380_3H 83 65 47 29 16 9
1380_4H 87 71 55 39 26 19

Overall 170 136 102 68 42 29

So as you can see the boundaries for the non-calc were considerably lower than the calc, I didn't think there was too much difference between the papers either.

I think this paper was the most difficult new spec paper as such I would expect lower boundaries than the non-calc in November.
Original post by Arsey
you do get boundaries for each paper. The results of each paper determine their boundaries; these are added together to give the overall boundary out of 200.

Here are the Nov 10 boundaries

A* A B C D E
1380_3H 83 65 47 29 16 9
1380_4H 87 71 55 39 26 19

Overall 170 136 102 68 42 29

So as you can see the boundaries for the non-calc were considerably lower than the calc, I didn't think there was too much difference between the papers either.

I think this paper was the most difficult new spec paper as such I would expect lower boundaries than the non-calc in November.

Oh I see. I hope the boundaries for this paper is low then :s-smilie:
Reply 51
Original post by weldrake13
hi, i sat this exam, but would like to actually go through it again before i look at the answers. do you have a blank copy of the exam you could upload ?
thanks

yes but I will not be uploading it, it makes it too easy to then get onto all the exam paper sites. It is copyright material and the exam board do not release the latest papers as most schools use them for mock exams. I will be removing my solutions in a week or so.
Reply 52
Original post by abdul95
Could you please get the mark scheme for this maths exam for modular unit 3 please?

I do not do the modular course and the MS are not released until the week before the results are out.
Reply 53
Original post by Rose.1994
for the vectors question, I found out that the vector was 1.2a+1.2b and then said that divides by 1.2 to give a+b so is parallel. Will I get the full 3 marks?

sounds fine to me
Reply 54
Original post by Rose.1994
for the one where you got 4/x do you think you could have 4x^-1
would that get 1 mark?

full marks, it is correct
Reply 55
Original post by Arsey
sounds fine to me

THANK YOU :smile:
those two questions have been bugging me :smile:
with 2a, didnt you have to describe the relationship, not correlation? i put the more pages there were, the longer it took to read
Reply 57
Original post by saralovesyou
with 2a, didnt you have to describe the relationship, not correlation? i put the more pages there were, the longer it took to read

That's fine
Reply 58
Original post by Arsey
full marks, it is correct

:aetsch:
Has anyone got the link to the answers of the Maths Foundation paper on 6/6/11, if not, some of the answers? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending