The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st CHEMISTRY C123, Friday 17th JUNE (2011)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by GeekChic7
I'm new here, but I was just wondering how you found the question about life cycle assessments? I wasn't really sure what to put so I just ended up writing down just about everything I could think of to do with rope... I'm hoping they'll have a few allowances for the marks...? :s-smilie:

You needed to compare how they are different in terms of their sustainability. For instance, to make hemp rope you need the hemp plant, which is renewable, whilst the synthetic rope you need crude oil which certainly isn't. There was also the ease of rotting - obviously the hemp rope decomposes quickly, whilst the synthetic rope takes up space in a landfil for years and years. The question also asked for additional information you would need to further compare them, you could have put the energy needed to manufacture the ropes, the energy needed to maintain the ropes and the energy needed to dispose of it.
Reply 21
Thanks! I put something along those lines, so let's hope... Does anyone have any good sites I can use to revise for P123 on Friday 24th? I've tried Bitesize and SAMLearning, but once you've done all the tests, you just have to go back to the beginning!
Reply 22
What did you guys put for the Nitrogen Cycle where you had to tick the boxes?
Reply 23
Remind me of the question?
Reply 24
It showed you a diagram of the Nitrogen Cycle, and it asked you to tick the two boxes which are true :s-smilie:

e.g Nitrogen and Oxygen react to form nitrates, nitrogen dissolves in the rain etc
Reply 25
Oh yeah, I remember now. Erm, I think I put that nitrogen and oxygen react to form nitrates, then the nitrates are dissolved in the rainwater. We discussed it afterwards, and that was what most of us had put in my class, so we're all right or we're all wrong!!!
Reply 26
Oh yay I put that too I think Lol.

I made a few dumb mistakes. I already know of about 4/5 marks I have 100% lost. Not a great start.

I just hope I can scrape an A maybe.

What did you put for the question about which material was more sustainable out of Polyester and Cotton I think it was. It gave how much energy it uses per KG of the material and you had to tick which material was more sustainable for each material.

This was probably the most straight foward question lol, but I didn't get it because some of the times it said 0?! But I just ended up putting the ones that used less energy lol
Reply 27
Original post by Coke1
I just ended up putting the ones that used less energy

I put the same thing, I just used my common sense... :smile: I think the exam was generally okay, I reckon I lost 6/7 marks overall. I think last year's A* boundary was quite low, about 29/42? I think I can probably make that, but I'm tempting fate I guess!!! Still, not a lot I can do now... :biggrin: This isn't a HUGE percentage of the marks, though, so we can still make up the grades later on...
Reply 28
Even if your not confident with your C1-C3 grade you can make it up with C4-C6 as the grade is averaged between the two exams. Good luck on the 28th June guys and 22nd June (Biology exam) :smile:
Reply 29
I'm new here, but I was just wondering how you found the question about life cycle assessments? I wasn't really sure what to put so I just ended up writing down just about everything I could think of to do with rope... I'm hoping they'll have a few allowances for the marks...? :s-smilie:

How to make the rope, how long people use it for/how long it lasts and to dispose it (recyycling etc)

thats what i put anyways :s-smilie:
Reply 30
Thanks, I think I'm on pretty much the same lines... Roll on results day, huh?
Reply 31
Thanks, I think I'm on pretty much the same lines... Roll on results day, huh?

Init. lol. you doing p123 on friday?x
Reply 32
Original post by GirlyGirl
you doing p123 on friday?x

Yeah, you? I'm okay with everything apart from some bits in p3... but I get to miss physics for my exam, how good's that?! :biggrin: x
Reply 33
Goodness, you all sound like you have done SOOO well! I thought the exam was quite tricky :/ I had a pannic attack half way through and left a load unanswered! I'm gutted because I had revised SOO hard for it and now I have to re-sit the exam in January because I went blank afterwards and couldn't complete it :frown: Good Luck to you guys though! It sounds, to me, like you have all done great :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by sinead123
Goodness, you all sound like you have done SOOO well! I thought the exam was quite tricky :/ I had a pannic attack half way through and left a load unanswered! I'm gutted because I had revised SOO hard for it and now I have to re-sit the exam in January because I went blank afterwards and couldn't complete it :frown: Good Luck to you guys though! It sounds, to me, like you have all done great :smile:

I don't think I did that well lol :/ I am aiming for an A, and if I get less I will probably retake. How much of it did you actually miss out?
Reply 35
Yeah, I was looking for an A too. I managed to get through most of the tick box questions but the big scoring ones that were worth the most marks I had left to come back to again once I had been through the paper. Unfortunatley, I never managed to get back to them so that's at least 11/13 marks i'm down!! I'm sure you have done great :smile:
Reply 36
Yeah, you? I'm okay with everything apart from some bits in p3... but I get to miss physics for my exam, how good's that?! :biggrin: x

LOOL that is just amazing! lucky for some! Mind you, i'm on study leave anyway so i miss... well nothing :P
Loool -pm me after, we can exchange answers :smile: x
Reply 37
Original post by sinead123

Don't say that i well f*cked it up! loool you will do well anyway :smile:
Reply 38
thanks, but i'm not so sure... i think i will definatley be retaking in january... :/ I', sure you haven't; I think the boundaries will be extremely low anyway seeing how this was much harder than last year's and for last year's only 27 were needed for an A!
Reply 39
I thought you only needed 29 for an A* last year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending