The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by NovoStar93
Everton have won Europe- thats what the cup winners cup is. 1985.

think that might be the domestic one
Reply 21
Original post by clarusblue
we have more league titles, and were widely accepted as the best team in europe before the heysel ban - so who knows what would have happened then.

You weren't even the best team in Liverpool the following season, never mind europe.
remember that just a couple of seasons ago it was everton and villa battling it out for 5th each year (for a couple of seasons at least).

tbh i think MON is over-rated slightly. from how i see it as an outsider randy lerner came in with a fair amount of money, o'neill spent it all then kicked off when he was told he had to sell to buy?

Yeah I think its hard to judge O'Neill. From what I remember, he divided opinions amongst Villa fans even when he was there. In the context of Villa's Premiership history he did slightly better overall than his predecessors and when you take out the clubs who had far more spending power he probably did about as well as he could. But other than Milner and Young a lot of his signings did not particularly turn out well.

Villa managers before O'Neill seemed to follow a pattern - good start and talk of a 'new era' than tailing off badly, this happened with Ron Atkinson, Brian Little, John Gregory, Graham Taylor and David O'Leary. With O'Neill it was seen as more of a long term project and after an iffy first season he got 6th three times in a row. In every one of those three sixth places, Villa had a bad spell in the season which if they had avoided, they could have been genuine challengers for the top 4.

I suppose Everton have been similar under Moyes, usually they have a bad start to every season and you look at the table and they are 14th/15th for a while, then without anybody really talking about them they start picking up points and a few months later they are 6th/7th. Overall I think Moyes is a better manager than O'Neill, he probably shades it by having a better transfer record. I also think Moyes is a more reliable character than O'Neill.
Villa biggest team in our region while Everton are put down because now in northwest they are behind Liverpool, Man U and Man city.
Without a doubt, Villa. IMO there aren't many teams in England "bigger" than Villa.
Reply 25
Original post by NovoStar93
Everton have won Europe- thats what the cup winners cup is. 1985.

The least in value of the old three competitions. No wonder UEFA got rid of it.
Reply 26
What is more is that Villa, despite only Liverpool, United and Arsenal in England having won more trophies, most of their trophies were won in the late 19th century. Since the European Cup win, they have not won much (I think just two league cups), and have not won the FA Cup in almost 60 years.

I would say though that in England, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, maybe Tottenham are the only clubs larger than them. Chelsea is relatively high in the trophies list, granted, but Newcastle and Sunderland only have fanbases, not tradition.

Original post by L18
You weren't even the best team in Liverpool the following season, never mind europe.

who knows what would happen, that's what i said. we were widely acknowledged to be the best team in europe, and because of the heysel ban we were never allowed to test ourselves in the european cup, when it was widely argued that we would have been the best side entering the competition

Original post by L18

http://eircomsports.eircom.net/News/english-clubs-ban-European-Cup.aspx
interesting read, i don't think people who aren't evertonians understand quite how good that side we had were

Original post by L18
Aston Villa have won the european cup, end of.

So forest are bigger than arsenal?
Being facetious obviously, but it was a long time ago and so in the present day is it the be all and end all?
Reply 30
Everton strike me as one of those clubs that's always lurking around yet never really stands out. Don't get me wrong - great manager, promising stars, experienced veterans - but I just find the club quite nondescript. I've never met an Everton fan, yet they have a sizeable fanbase.
the club that I go smacking people's head with at night is bigger than them both.
Reply 32
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/table/default.stm

check out the current premier league table, it never lies. Everton are 6th and Aston Villa are 2nd.

(yes I did realise)
Everton. Most of Villa's success was around the late 19th century. Everton have had alot more 'recent' success, despite Villa winning the European Cup.
Reply 34
Everton are a small club as Rafa Benitez kindly pointed out, so Villa!

Here are my reasons:

Trophies

Villa are the more successful club

Villa have 20 trophies - 7 League Titles, 7 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 1 European Cup

Everton have 15 trophies - 9 League Titles, 5 FA Cups, 1 Cup Winners's Cup

Villa win on this.

Everton have never been Champions of Europe.

We have.

Villa win on this

Villa have the bigger and better stadium.

Villa Park capacity - 42,786

Goodison Park capacity - 40,157

Villa win on this

We also have better training facilities and a better youth academy.

Villa win on this

We have the bigger fanbase

Villa average attendance 2010/11 - 37,220

Everton average attendance 2010/11 - 36,039

Villa win on this.

Villa have a richer owner with more money.

We bought Darren Bent for £18m-£24m.

Everton signed Jermaine Beckford on a free transfer.

Villa win on this as they spend more as they're financially better off.

We (Villa) are the #1 club in our city, county and region. AVFC - Pride of the Midlands

Everton are the #2 club in their city. EFC - Forever in Liverpool's Shadow

Thoughts?

Villa win on this.

Looks like a Royal Flush to me my friend. :hat2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x

Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x
Villa win on this.

Looks like a Royal Flush to me my friend. :hat2:

1. trophies. villa do have a more impressive honours list. but has already been pointed out, many of those came in the late 1800s. not to devalue them, but preston north end were a team winning titles around that time. villa have been the best club in england ONCE since 1910.

2. yes, granted, villa have won the european cup and i only wish we could have had a shot at it back in the 80s when we had a superb side.

3. both grounds are brilliant historic stadiums. congratulations that villa have 2000 more seats.

4. training ground and academy. what *******s. finch farm (everton's training ground) is brand new, worth £21million and several players who have signed for us have said that it was a major factor in their decision. as for youth academy, list some well known players villa have produced? at the moment i can think of barry bannan and marc albrighton, but obviously i won't know the squad as well as i do everton's. everton's first team squad has hibbert, osman, coleman, rodwell, anichebe, and if i wanted to cheat, baines and jagielka who spent time at our youth academy. we've got other young players like jose baxter, hallam hope, ross barkley and jake bidwell who are all representing england at various youth levels. not to mention a certain wayne rooney. our academy is possibly second only to west ham in terms of producing top players of the past generation.

5. villa have a larger fanbase - by 1000 people? are you really basing an argument on that? birmingham's population is over 1 million, the population of liverpool is 435k. surely if anything this makes everton's fanbase more impressive?

6. you have a richer owner. that has nothing to do with the size of a club. it also reflects well on everton that even without money we manage to finish higher than villa. also reflects well on jermaine beckford that he scored 10 goals in his debut prem season.

7. you're the best team in your region. you compete with birmingham, wolves and west brom (no disrespect to those clubs). we compete with one of the most successful teams in world football, and don't come off it too badly.

i think you've come across very arrogant in that post, i know we all have blue/claret and blue tinted specs on but i can't see how you can conclude so confidently that villa are bigger. i've always respected villa for their history, fans and trophies, it would be cool if people see that with everton and don't act so biased!
Original post by mcfc2009
Hate both of them but Villa are the bigger club only just but both clubs think they are bigger than what they are.

Your username makes your post rather ironic
x

You keep referring to them as 'your' when I don't support Aston Villa.

I support my home town club, Cardiff City.

From an unbiased point of view, I think that Villa in all aspects are a bigger club just as we're a bigger club than Swansea. No disrespect to Swansea, they've done well to be where they are and deserve to be there on merit.

However, Swansea are in the Premiership next season and we are not. The bottom line is, size and stature isn't represented by current form, its represented by an accumulation of history and historical achievements.

Also, when you won your achievements don't mean anything, they're still part of the clubs history.

Its clear that you went on a rant without acknowledging the fact that I don't even support Aston Villa.
Reply 39
Villa are more successful and probably have a larger fan base, speaking as a passive everton fan.
But success and number of fans should be completely irrelevant when supporting a club - a true fan will continue to show their support during the worst times, as well as the best.

Latest