The Student Room Group

Kings or Oxford for PGCE (Secondary Maths)

Deciding on my final course and thought I'd apply for either of these two...

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these two unis, which ones they would recommend?
Reply 1
I'd honestly go for the one that would be cheaper for you to live, ignore the prestige, it doesn't matter for pgce's.
Do you want to teach in London or Oxford?

If you'd rather be located in London long term, opt there, or if you'd rather be located in Oxford, go there. As has been said, it really really doesn't matter where you go for a PGCE as everyone gets the same qualification and schools care about you as a teacher rather than where you actually did the training. My university course hasn't come up once in any of my interviews.

Pick the place you can see yourself being beyond the PGCE year as if you're in the area it will make applying for jobs easier. It isn't impossible to move areas - I'm doing it, but it has made getting a job a hell of a lot harder because its impossible to go and visit schools in another location when you're teaching full time and that's before you've even got to applying or the interview.
Original post by ac132
Deciding on my final course and thought I'd apply for either of these two...

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these two unis, which ones they would recommend?

Oxford, whenever people ask you where you went to uni, you can say you went to Oxford!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending