The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bigcnee
1) All Comps are streamed.
2) Grammars drag down Comps.

what is the real difference between streaming and grammar?
Lets face it, in a school of 2000 where you are streamed in your subjects, you may as well be in a whole different school as opposed to set 1 of 10
J
Bigcnee
It hardly goes without saying. It depends which area you live in. The presence of multiple (or sometimes just one) Grammar in an area is very destructive to the local education system.

true.
Reply 22
kita
erm, no theyre not, the local boys one in my area isnt.
And how exactly do grammars drag down comps?

Which local boys school? (I live in Thanet).
Reply 23
foolfarian
what is the real difference between streaming and grammar?
Lets face it, in a school of 2000 where you are streamed in your subjects, you may as well be in a whole different school as opposed to set 1 of 10
J

More fluidity between sets. Better interaction with all backgrounds.
Bigcnee
Which school is a grammar and not streamed?

Grammars divert teachers and good-students from Comps, thus meaning less-funding and poor results.

Actually comps get more funding.
And i imagine if they didnt go to grammar schools they may well end up going to public schools (teachers that is) or stipulating that they want to teach only the top sets.
Who would want to teach a classroom which is a mix of the not so bright (who i feel sorry for) and the plain old disruptives
J
Reply 25
foolfarian
Actually comps get more funding.
And i imagine if they didnt go to grammar schools they may well end up going to public schools (teachers that is) or stipulating that they want to teach only the top sets.

Grammars get substantial local funding (e.g. private businesses) where I live.

foolfarian
Who would want to teach a classroom which is a mix of the not so bright (who i feel sorry for) and the plain old disruptives
J

This happens in high-schools.
Bigcnee
Better interaction with all backgrounds.

LOL, come to my school and its worse in that respect than any grammar even.
Reply 27
Although I am vehemently opposed to Grammars, if you are looking to go solely on the basis of range of ability, Grammar schools are supposed to take the top 25% of ability.

I go to a grammar school, and the local comps, people do get dragged down with people who just dont wanna work and not all schools have this fast track system. I agree it is probably more valuable to a certain degree to have good gcses and a comp school, cos generally they would have to work harder to avoid distractions. I know this isnt always the case tho

There are a few really dumbass kids at grammars. I'm talking about kids who are just a bit less intelligent and a lot more disruptive ie they act like a dumbass.

Their parent's can't see that the money they spent on 11+ coaching is the biggest waste ever. The kids who don't deserve to be in grammar schools based on intelligence or behaviour can feel really out of place and when they start to feel like that then their behaviour drops even more.

I think the 11+ should be taken but it should be backed up with some kind of report from the teacher detailing how intelligent the child is and what the childs attitude towards studying is like (on the assumption that most able children are happy to get studying and concentrate). Then maybe the grammars could get something nearer the top 25%.

But i am thinking wat is better-grammar school or my fast track class.and also there is nor any grammar school in my borough, maybe some of brainy students study wiv me in my fast track class, i am not sure. Plz advise me-wat is better grammar schools or my fast track class??and also i am studying in top sets,except of english.

I don't really think theres much difference apart from there's still going to be difference in the top 30%. In a grammar your in the top 25%(ish) already and then it get broken down further into like 5 sets, so the people you study with are closer to the same level as you in a grammar.
Reply 28
bono
LOL, come to my school and its worse in that respect than any grammar even.

Are there many Grammars in your area?
Reply 29
Bigcnee
More fluidity between sets. Better interaction with all backgrounds.

the background thing is a loud of rubbish, the grammars where I live a mix in much better than at the college I go to. White, black, asian walking and talking together....not in my college.
Reply 30
hattori
the background thing is a loud of rubbish, the grammars where I live a mix in much better than at the college I go to. White, black, asian walking and talking together....not in my college.

A sixth form college?
Bigcnee
Are there many Grammars in your area?

my school is like a private school in comprehensive clothing - hence why i hate the place.
hattori

the comp i go 2 (although its really like a private school) is absolute crap at socialsiing and mixing with different backgrounds.
Reply 33
Bigcnee
A sixth form college?

yeah, i do my a-levels here. I know it's pretty sad really, at our age and not mixing in.
Reply 34
bono
my school is like a private school in comprehensive clothing - hence why i hate the place.

I don't understand.
Reply 35
Grammar schools...

Are underfunded

Overworked

Don't always get the best teachers

Only take the "top students" who take the exam (11+) some don't bother taking the exam

Will only be to an advantage if you work hard.

And if you work hard enough in a comp you results will be no different.

My grammar school is now a technology college too.... purely for funding.

The labour gov started grammar schools, but now changed their mind... whats the point?
Reply 36
hattori
yeah, i do my a-levels here. I know it's pretty sad really, at our age and not mixing in.

I'm talking about Secondary schools, not sixth form colleges.
Reply 37
txt_eva
Grammar schools...

Are underfunded

Overworked

Don't always get the best teachers

Only take the "top students" who take the exam (11+) some don't bother taking the exam

Will only be to an advantage if you work hard.

And if you work hard enough in a comp you results will be no different.

My grammar school is now a technology college too.... purely for funding.

The labour gov started grammar schools, but now changed their mind... whats the point?

They've realised how inneffective they are as a whole.
Reply 38
Bigcnee
1) 38% is expected of a Comp seeing as in contains all abilities.

Both the comps in my area have over 60% 5 A*-C grades at GCSE. And there are no grammars.
Helenia
Both the comps in my area have over 60% 5 A*-C grades at GCSE. And there are no grammars.

once again, another example of the "but i know so and so which is different."

we r talking generally here!

G-E-N-E-R-A-L.

Latest

Trending

Trending