The Student Room Group

Is it worth moving for sixth form?

Basically, I could either stay at my current school with my friends and the teachers I like and all or go to a city where I'd be staying with family to go to a way higher-ranked school (like in the top 10 in the country) and I wouldn't know anyone there.
Both schools are all-girls grammar but I don't seem to have a preference right now so I'm trying to think of other factors to help my decision.

I have the grades for both schools so unacademic factors would be appreciated, thanks!
heyyy- here is some advice coming from someone who moved sixth form.

I would honestly say it is up to u!! Whichever one you feel like you will prosper and thrive the best and to your fullest academically, spiritually and mentally will be the best option.

You may also feel a bit of a pressure to go to the higher ranking school because it'll look good on your CV etc etc-- while that is important it doesn't really matter. Russell group universities look at all students and it is your grades that matter the most, not the type of school.

It's not the school it's the pupil!! -- As long as you are happy where you are, because happiness is the most important thing. <3

You say too that your friends and teachers are at the one you are at currently too. That seems like the best choice maybe bcoz you are comfortable and happy there already.

Of course going to the other one will be a new experience and whatever you feel like is best for you. They are both all girls grammar schools as you say so it will be a similar environment. Girls are girls and grammar is grammar.

I hope that helps and good luck for sixth form, you'll enjoy it!! x :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by elemenohpee
Basically, I could either stay at my current school with my friends and the teachers I like and all or go to a city where I'd be staying with family to go to a way higher-ranked school (like in the top 10 in the country) and I wouldn't know anyone there.
Both schools are all-girls grammar but I don't seem to have a preference right now so I'm trying to think of other factors to help my decision.

I have the grades for both schools so unacademic factors would be appreciated, thanks!

Do you do better when there’s high competition? For some people, not being the smartest = high competition = more drive to study. If yes, then go to the school

Do you do better in the ego boost of knowing you’re in the top of the class? For some people, social academic validation = self-fulfilling prophecy = more drive to study. You’d be surprised at how many people are actually in this category. If yes, then go to your current school

Let’s say you’re neutral on them- which you likely aren’t, but I’m giving more factors. In which case, which one has the higher travelling time? No school is worth a high travelling time, because if you’re a good student, (generally, so, excluding the crap schools), then any school is good for you. I went to a school that was top 3 in my area. High travelling time was hell and I actually self-taught better at home anyway (not that the school was bad, it was outstanding in its teaching), so I wasted hours of travelling for nothing. If I could tell my Year 11 self something, it would be that generally any school is good for you, as long as you’re a good student. And, if you want to go to this prestigious schools, not just for its rank but for its name/reputation, which was my mistake…Don’t. You will sacrifice your friends, with no guarantee that you’ll make the same strength of friendships at that school, for a sixth form title, even though only university names/reputations matter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending