The Student Room Group

How hard is it to fast track A level maths?

How many hours a day would i need to stufy in order to get an A or even an A* in A level maths fast track?

Scroll to see replies

6 months if you focus.
4-5 hours a day, what is important is understanding the topics.

Year 1 should take you max 1-1.5 months. 3-4 months for year 2 and rest exam practice.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Faisal Amiri
6 months if you focus.

Year 1 should take you max 1-1.5 months. 3-4 months for year 2 and rest exam practice.

dahm ok. thanks. btw do u know any websites that show a good structure to follow? like what topics i should be learning first etc because i have no clue.
Original post by revo349
dahm ok. thanks. btw do u know any websites that show a good structure to follow? like what topics i should be learning first etc because i have no clue.

theres a guy on youtube called zeeshan zamurred he is amazing for learning content. As for structure id say follow the chapters of the book tbh. Year 1 is just an ease into things from gcse. Year 2 is when it gets tricky. It will be very tough my guy for 6 months but it is very possible you just have to dedicate everything to it.
theres a guy on youtube called zeeshan zamurred he is amazing for learning content. As for structure id say follow the chapters of the book tbh. Year 1 is just an ease into things from gcse. Year 2 is when it gets tricky. It will be very tough my guy for 6 months but it is very possible you just have to dedicate everything to it.

thanks man, i have a whole year to do this. im highly motivated and ready to grind, im starting early too. i only just finished my gcses yesterday lol
Original post by revo349
thanks man, i have a whole year to do this. im highly motivated and ready to grind, im starting early too. i only just finished my gcses yesterday lol

Bro you’re absolutely good. I did A level maths in one year and got an A. Couldve got an A* if i properly revised.
1 year means you can relax a bit and enjoy life. Much better than 6 months.
Reply 6
Original post by revo349

Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=29
Reply 7
Original post by revo349

Why aren't you studying this at school? There's only one reason to cover this in a year and that is if you are doing F Maths as well.
Bro you’re absolutely good. I did A level maths in one year and got an A. Couldve got an A* if i properly revised.

wow nice bro, i hope to do the same as u. Thanks for helping me out
Original post by Muttley79
Why aren't you studying this at school? There's only one reason to cover this in a year and that is if you are doing F Maths as well.

my college doesnt offer it as fast track and only offer it along side 2 a levels, and im studying a lvl 3 btec in IT right now so thats why :smile: and im doing it fast track because i want to go to university next year + i need a level maths for comp sci. i know i can do it
Reply 11
Original post by revo349
my college doesnt offer it as fast track and only offer it along side 2 a levels, and im studying a lvl 3 btec in IT right now so thats why :smile: and im doing it fast track because i want to go to university next year + i need a level maths for comp sci. i know i can do it

It's not a great idea to go to uni at 17 - you can't sign a contract for a start.

btw i wanted to ask which order do you think ist best to study a level maths? is it a good idea to do pure 1 and 2 first then mechanics and statistics? there are 4 you have to do right?
It's not a great idea to go to uni at 17 - you can't sign a contract for a start.

im 18 xd i will be 19 when i go to uni next year
Reply 14
Original post by revo349
im 18 xd i will be 19 when i go to uni next year

You didn't say you were in Year 12 as you mentioned GCSEs .... we offer a one year course for our F Maths students so it is doable. I would recommend Edexcel as there's so many resources.

Do the 2 year at double the speed

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FScheme-of-work
You didn't say you were in Year 12 as you mentioned GCSEs .... we offer a one year course for our F Maths students so it is doable. I would recommend Edexcel as there's so many resources.

Do the 2 year at double the speed

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.coursematerials.html#%2FfilterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:Category%2FTeaching-and-learning-materials&filterQuery=category:Pearson-UK:biggrin:ocument-Type%2FScheme-of-work

yeah sry bout that aha im doing gcses late. also yh im doing edexcel i heard its the best one
Original post by revo349
btw i wanted to ask which order do you think ist best to study a level maths? is it a good idea to do pure 1 and 2 first then mechanics and statistics? there are 4 you have to do right?

Start stats and mechanics along with year 1. Stats and mechanics is like a button, once your mind clicks with the stats and mechanics format u can pretty much cruise and do a few qs here and there for revision. Just beware of integration and differentiation in year 2 set aside a good month-2 months for those 2 chapters they are heavyyy.
Start stats and mechanics along with year 1. Stats and mechanics is like a button, once your mind clicks with the stats and mechanics format u can pretty much cruise and do a few qs here and there for revision. Just beware of integration and differentiation in year 2 set aside a good month-2 months for those 2 chapters they are heavyyy.

aight cool will do man thanks again.
Reply 18
6 months if you focus.

Is there a particular online course that you would recommend please?
to receive an A or A*, i wouldn't set the goal of studying a certain amount of hours. some questions you might already know how to solve, so i wouldn't waste time studying them. i would practise solving questions that i struggle with

Quick Reply

Latest