The Student Room Group

Has America contributed anything towards the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arra
America created viable democracy (i.e. republican form of government). 'Nuff said.

didn't the french beat them to it? one can argue that republican is somewhat secular. And the french certainly influenced the american constitution.
Reply 241
Original post by lord snow
I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.

Nah man totally, blow them up. Lol come on..
Original post by lord snow
I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.

The U.S invented almost everything that has to do with technology so shut up. If you hate America and it's inventions you shouldn't be on the web, let alone the computer.
Reply 243
Not to mention the fact that many American credit and banking institutions -- corrupt as they are -- have contributed to many of the inventions that have taken place worldwide. Living in India and being friends with many of its economic elite, I understand that there is a strong anti-American sentiment. Interestingly, it is a very arrogant anti-American sentiment that has a lot more to do with people's own wish to sound elegant and cultured. They say "America has no culture" or they say "All America has brought the world is war and destruction". Living in the economic bubble as they do, they really have no sense of a culture that doesn't involve socialite parties etc.

I am not projecting this sentiment unto all that have a quasi-"Anti-American" view, but most people that have such views have so only on the surface. It's a common joke that if you ask any middle-class Indian on the street who he trusts more between Russia and India, he would say Russia. Where he wants to live? America. It is an indisputable fact that much of the industrial and technological innovation that has happened over the past century has come from America. But I want to bring about several other points that are less often mentioned, and are less "sexy", as my cousin puts it, for an argument.

The National Academy of the Sciences has set a landmark in democratic distribution of information by allowing all its articles and journals to be accessible free of charge to anyone in the world. Just try savor how crazy that is, though most people cannot really understand how amazing that really is! These are incredibly expensive research documents that might have taken years to conclude that are available free of charge to the world. What a concept!

You like imported stuff right? Not just from China and America but from wherever? Well, thank the American Navy that patrols pretty much all of the international trade routes and, guess what, does not declare them its colony and does not charge you to go through them! Again, what a concept!

I am not idolizing America. I am too aware of its flaws. But that does, in no way, take away from the great service to the world it provides. Everybody loves to hate America. It's all good :smile:
Reply 244
Khan Academy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending