The Student Room Group

Has America contributed anything towards the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Redreynard
britain has contributed the most to the world.

I doubt it.
Ok, normally while I'd be with you I think you can do a much better job than what you've done.
Original post by lord snow

The things you mention are not useful contributions. Who cares if the moon is moving away from the earth? Science is overated.

so from your computer you tell me that computers are in fact not useful, furthermore the internet (which allows you to make statements that are no way true from miles away with a reasonable amount of anonymity) is an american invention so since these things are in no way useful why not leave them alone and make vacuous the british way go to a pub and annoy someone that is pissed and ready for a fight
Reply 23
Original post by erklam
here is my contribution

Just a few American inventors for you (I assume you have no clue what they invented, so use google):
Edison, Morse, Bell, Singer, Eastman, Goodyear, Tesla, Westinghouse

Just some inventions (hope you know what most of them are):
morse code, electric stove, escalator, postcards, motorcycle, railway air brake, jeans, phonograph, solar cells, smoke detector, zipper, remote control, assembly lines, oh and airplane too, auto self starter, hydraulic brake, polygraph, air traffic control, radio telescope, digital computer, blood banks, polio vaccine, airbag, barcode, integrated circuits, CDs, cellphones...but again. google it (or use a british search engine instead haha)

Again everything you mention is ****. The asthetics of cars has been ruined by safety features such as airbags. British cars used to be amazing, think of the E type and DB5 of the 1960s.
Original post by TheCaledonian
so from your computer you tell me that computers are in fact not useful, furthermore the internet (which allows you to make statements that are no way true from miles away with a reasonable amount of anonymity) is an american invention so since these things are in no way useful why not leave them alone and make vacuous the british way go to a pub and annoy someone that is pissed and ready for a fight

The internet... in it's raw form was an American invention. But the internet that we use today (The WWW) was created by a British scientist, Tim Berners Lee.

Although, I have to mention that the OP is completely ignorant and these threads have no meaning behind them. The Americans have obviously contributed huge amounts in political thought, music, technology, food, business... I could go on, but this is not a serious thread so I won't delve too much.

To the OP: You can like the Americans and still like the UK at the same time, you know?
Reply 25
Assembly lines are ****? Circuits are ****? Are you even aware of what century you're living in?
Reply 26
I think anyone who can praise the British liberal system after some of the worst riots we've ever had is in need of cognitive therapy.

You're just either a troll or a dumb person, take a pick. You can't bleat on about 'that wasn't useful' to some other guy and then forget that you mentioned steak in your OP, because that merits a facepalm moment. I love many American tv shows, films and yes, KFC and McDonalds come from the USA and i love them and both have created many British jobs, surely a useful contribution to society.
Mcdonalds....
Reply 28
Original post by erklam
I would love to see you shaving without a safety razor. And that't the first brand I saw in that picture (Gillette).

I use a dutch phillips razor btw. I seriously can't think of anything good that has come from the usa and none of you are close to changing my mind. I have no affection for the coporations you keep using as evidence that america is "good".
What films do you watch Lord Snow? Or TV shows. America has treated us to some great films and TV shows.
Reply 30
Original post by Azra'il
Assembly lines are ****? Circuits are ****? Are you even aware of what century you're living in?

I wish I was living 50 + years ago when the world was yet to be ruined by americans.
They've contributed to the world by starting hundreds of bloody wars and killing millions of innocent people, whilst gorging their faces with extra large Mcdonalds BIG MAC meals and spiralling the world into economic downturn.
Reply 32
Some truly great people have come from America - scientists and authors especially.
Reply 33
Original post by Aj12
Must we have another dick measuring contest between the UK and USA?

Why you so mad bro?
Reply 34
OP is a good troll.
By even making this thread, you're probably utilizing American contributions to the world.
Reply 36
Original post by damos92
I think anyone who can praise the British liberal system after some of the worst riots we've ever had is in need of cognitive therapy.You're just either a troll or a dumb person, take a pick. You can't bleat on about 'that wasn't useful' to some other guy and then forget that you mentioned steak in your OP, because that merits a facepalm moment. I love many American tv shows, films and yes, KFC and McDonalds come from the USA and i love them and both have created many British jobs, surely a useful contribution to society.

We weren't rioting when Britain was an imperial power. It is american materialism that led to the looting, people wanting American goods for free. Young people are too materalistic.
Reply 37
So you've never enjoyed breakfast cereal? Worn jeans? Chewed bubblegum? Used a crayon? Used a credit card? Flossed? Sent an Email? Ridden a Ferris Wheel? Used a flashlight? Filled your car at a petrol station? Used anything to do with a GPS? Used anything that was either made on an assembly line or uses an integrated circuit? Used a printer? Benefited from an LED? Watched something on an LCD screen? Cooked something in a microwave? Played Monopoly? Used a computer mouse? Owned something made from nylon? Watched something on a plasma screen? Typed on a QWERTY keyboard? Played Scrabble? Put your food in a shopping cart? Been to the supermarket? Made tea from a teabag? Did your parents never buy you a teddy bear?

God Bless the US of A.
Quite a LOT of important things actually, for example we wudnt even be having this discussion if it wasnt for america. It amazes me how people can be so ignorant.
(edited 12 years ago)
I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.

How about for starters, the computer you are using to type on this forum?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending