The Student Room Group

Has America contributed anything towards the world?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Made in the USA
How about for starters, the computer you are using to type on this forum?

I knew an American would bite the troll.
Original post by Lewis :D
I knew an American would bite the troll.

It's just a small bite

I was actually thinking about giving him a long list of US inventions, but it's not worth my time
Yeah. Dumbing down the whole world with their sheer stupidity.
Most of the world's technology was pioneered by Americans.

Facebook, Intel, Microsoft, Apple, AMD, Twitter etc.

All American.
Reply 44
Cool story, bro.
Reply 45
It's just a small bite

I was actually thinking about giving him a long list of US inventions, but it's not worth my time

You can't invent 1000 years of history and culture. My point is that while america has invented a few things the best things are created through tradition and time. Durham univeristy for example is better than anything america can produce. It may not be ranked as highly as harvard but when you sit in an armchair that is 400 years old chatting to friends, you know you're in a better pace.
My encyclopedia Book says America brought us a wealth of entertainment:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
It's just a small bite

Condensed milk :yep:

Just pulling your leg my transatlantic friend :awesome: Whether you're a Windows fan or a Mac fan, neither would exist without America. I've gotta give you the Fender Stratocaster too, it's pretty cool getting one with 'Made in the USA' on the headstock. Oh, and the Zippo lighter, not that I smoke.
Reply 48
Every thing and anything usa owns
Reply 49
Original post by lord snow
You can't invent 1000 years of history and culture. My point is that while america has invented a few things the best things are created through tradition and time. Durham univeristy for example is better than anything america can produce. It may not be ranked as highly as harvard but when you sit in an armchair that is 400 years old chatting to friends, you know you're in a better pace.

Durham university? It became a university in 1832, Harvard became one in 1650. If if you're referring to their earliest beginnings, Durham is only about 70 years older.

For which reason I don't believe you're being serious :hmmm: :gah:
I'm very, VERY surprised manchild still hasn't made an appearance on this thread.
Reply 51
If you don't have anything to contribute **** off.

Speak for yourself.
We invented gravity, welfare, telecommunications, computers (I know it was ****ty but it began the concept of transistors which the Americans made smaller), railways, black holes, parliamentary system used world wide, our language, the guidelines for every story which will ever be written and electric armour for tanks. I think we invented the tank as well, didn't we? Or was at least the first to use them after Leonardo Di Vinci designed them.
Original post by TheCaledonian
they put mirrors on the moon that allow us to know how far away it is and enabled us to discover that it is slowly moving away from us which will have a detrimental effect on our lives this discovery has in turn allowed us to plan ahead so that we could stop or correct the problems that this will cause also computers, transistors muscle cars, films and the gatling gun which later evolved into machine guns the americans have made killing much easier and much more efficient

In all fairness, we don't need mirrors on the moon to measure how far away the moon is. (The Greeks did it 2000 years ago using geometry).

However, I'm glad you used space exploration as an example. Planet Earth has many problems, some of which include; limited resources and an accelerating rate in global population, when you combine both of these problems we get an even bigger problem. In 200 years or so we will be struggling to provide 14 billion people (probably more) with food and other resources. There's two ways we can go about solving this problem; the first option is to kill around 7-10 billion people, this will mean the demand for food and other resources will decrease, which means we can preserve life for an extra 200 years (on top of the 200). However, it wouldn't be fair to kill that many people, no one would dare raise the idea and most would disagree. This leaves us with the last option; space exploration. Maybe one day we will be able to fly/teleport to Gliese 581d/g or other planets that are likely to provide us with the resources and the suitable living conditions we need.

NASA is responsible for finding of a lot of these exoplanets. Therefore America has contributed massively.

The things you mention are not useful contributions. Who cares if the moon is moving away from the earth? Science is overated.

*overrated.

Not useful? You do know what a transistor is right? Without the knowledge of the moon, we wouldn't have understood optics to its full potential. Without the use of optics we wouldn't have developed glasses. You do realise glasses are useful?

Science overrated?

Without Science you wouldn't be reading this message, typing your own or even on a computer/phone.
Without Science you wouldn't have a television, a radio, a bulb or an oven to cook your food in.
Without Science you wouldn't have cars, boats, airplanes or trains.
Without Science you wouldn't have hospitals, doctors, surgeons to cure you when you are ill/injured.
Without Science you wouldn't be wearing the clothes you are wearing at this moment.

Evolution is Biology, that's Science.
Earth (planets) is Astronomy/Physics, that's Science.
Water is made via the bonding of Hydrogen and Oxygen, that Chemistry, that's Science.

Therefore without Science you wouldn't have Evolution, the Earth or Water.

You're right, they're overrated, we don't need them!

Edit; I love crushing trolls.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sagacious
However, I'm glad you used space exploration as an example. Planet Earth has many problems, some of which include; limited resources and an accelerating rate in global population, when you combine both of these problems we get an even bigger problem. In 200 years or so we will be struggling to provide 14 billion people (probably more) with food and other resources. There's two ways we can go about solving this problem; the first option is to kill around 7-10 billion people, this will mean the demand for food and other resources will decrease, which means we can preserve life for an extra 200 years (on top of the 200). However, it wouldn't be fair to kill that many people, no one would dare raise the idea and most would disagree. This leaves us with the last option; space exploration. Maybe one day we will be able to fly/teleport to Gliese 581d/g or other planets that are likely to provide us with the resources and the suitable living conditions we need.

Wow, this is a huge pile of ****e even for TSR.

The world's population is expected to peak at around 9 or 10 billion, with 8 billion and 11 billion being extreme lower and upper estimate. Don't be so ridiculously over-dramatic about things. There will be no need for a mass genocide or to inhabit other planets, though resources are likely to be strained, perhaps sorely so.
(edited 12 years ago)
Cocopops.....yip, thats about it.
:P
Reply 57
Original post by ablackirish
I'm very, VERY surprised manchild still hasn't made an appearance on this thread.

I can't wait for that sarcastic smiley to show up...
Original post by Sagacious

okay, i'm sorry, but this paragraph makes you sound like a dip****. ever heard of birth control? the more people use it, the less people there will be. there's no need to massacre billions of people or inhabit other planets. just put a rubber on and be done with it.
1. Americans are dicks in their foreign policy and are notorious for being a bunch of god-fearing, gun-toting, hooligans that want to make war with everybody that doesn't speak English.
2. Simultaneously, they have created many useful things.
3. Number 1 causes many people to neglect Number 2.

OP is a ****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending