The Student Room Group

Has America contributed anything towards the world?

Scroll to see replies

Good customer service.
What about music and films and TV? I'd say they count :smile:
Helping to end two world wars, rebuild a war torn Europe, land on the moon and export republican democracy not enough for you? I am willing to bet you are using a PC with Microsoft windows, have ordered Mc Donnalds a few times, been in a car and use electricity every day. Suppose you've never watched a Hollywood film either. Even the Harry Potter films are financed, marketed and composed by Americans. Not forgetting some of the worlds most popular music artists. I can't even be bothered to go into all the medical and military advances an American has been responsible for either. Can't be bothered spending all that time. Ever heard of Microsoft and Apple? which reminds me, you ever used a phone?

Oh by the way OP, I just got a message from some one. Thomas Edison says 'What the **** have YOU contributed to the world?' :teehee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by MinorDisaster
1. Americans are dicks in their foreign policy and are notorious for being a bunch of god-fearing, gun-toting, hooligans that want to make war with everybody that doesn't speak English.
2. Simultaneously, they have created many useful things.
3. Number 1 causes many people to neglect Number 2.

OP is a ****

So we're like Rome then.
Original post by lord snow
Everyone knows that wine is English.

How is wine English you idiot? It was mentioned in homer 3000 years ago and I am sure it was also mentioned by other old documents in other parts of the world.
Reply 65
I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.

Without the USA, Europe would have been swallowed whole by the USSR.

The existence of the USA means democractic nations can survive elsewhere in the world.
They are the defenders of democracy ......not the UK!

Take off the rose tinted specs.
xbox- that's good enough for me
I use a dutch phillips razor btw. I seriously can't think of anything good that has come from the usa and none of you are close to changing my mind. I have no affection for the coporations you keep using as evidence that america is "good".

In other words, you just want to be a troll and continue your "america is crap" load of bull.

you come with a load of right bull but as for your previous comments in regards to airbags ruining aesthetics thats a load of crap as modern airbags are built into the fascia and you dont know they are there.
None of those firms enrich our lives. Kellogs for example is less nutritious than the box it comes in.

I don't know...Apple, Ford, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google seem pretty enriching to me :K:
Reply 69
I use a dutch phillips razor btw. I seriously can't think of anything good that has come from the usa and none of you are close to changing my mind. I have no affection for the coporations you keep using as evidence that america is "good".

loser. The dutch philips razor is a safety razor. and safety razors have been invented in the U.S. Whatever brand you use for razors, that brand is using the American technology.

And if you aren't willing to change your mind in this question at all, change the title of your pitiful thread from "Has America contributed anything towards the world?" to "America has not contributed anything towards the world" and we're all happy.

Oh, and I have not brought up any single corporation (except for re-quoting Gillette). I was only talking about inventors and inventions.

TROLL.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xEndeavors
I don't know...Apple, Ford, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google seem pretty enriching to me :K:

The OP does realize that if America went down, the rest of the world would quickly go down the drain, because any country that we import from would lose a large chunk of its customer base. Esp. Japan and the Middle East. If demand for electronics and oil suddenly drop dramatically, what do you think would happen to their economy? And any country that holds US Treasury bonds would find itself with a portion of its foreign reserves as useless scraps of paper. And any country whose currency is pegged to the dollar would have a major crisis.

And we gave the world coronary angiography, thanks to Dr Mason Sones, the first CABG was done at Albert Einstein College of Medicine-Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, endovascular coiling for cerebral aneurysms thanks to Guido Guglielmi, MRI was invented by Dr Raymond Damadian, Paul Lauterbur, and Herman Carr; Dr Anthony Kalloo is pioneering natural orifice translumenal endoscopic surgery, which could bring an end to the operating room and traditional abdominal surgery as we know it.

So we've revolutionized the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
Reply 72
Without America we wouldn't have anyone to look good against, that's a pretty solid thing they've contributed. That way everyone can take their hate out on the US and the UK can bumble about happily without anyone talking about the Empire and what not.
there is so much butt hurt in this thread.
Reply 74
Original post by Craig_D
Durham university? It became a university in 1832, Harvard became one in 1650. If if you're referring to their earliest beginnings, Durham is only about 70 years older.

For which reason I don't believe you're being serious :hmmm: :gah:

I'm serious. There is nothing like sitting in an English armchair talking to well off English people.
Original post by green chica
okay, i'm sorry, but this paragraph makes you sound like a dip****. ever heard of birth control? the more people use it, the less people there will be. there's no need to massacre billions of people or inhabit other planets. just put a rubber on and be done with it.

Original post by j.alexanderh
Wow, this is a huge pile of ****e even for TSR.

The world's population is expected to peak at around 9 or 10 billion, with 7 billion and 11 billion being extreme lower and upper estimate. Don't be so ridiculously over-dramatic about things. There will be no need for a mass genocide or to inhabit other planets, though resources are likely to be strained, perhaps sorely so.

You do know that every day almost 1 billion people go without food? If the population does get to 10 billion then there will be even more; people in poverty are having children who are having children etc.

If you two think a population of 10 billion isn't going to be harmful then there is something wrong with you. I'll go back to what I said; there are almost a billion people who will go hungry tonight. Resources are limited, it's fact; there's only so much edible fish in the sea.

It's not an 'extreme' estimate, there's nothing to say that the population can't increase to 20 billion + over time.

In 1974, the global population was at 4 billion.
In 2011, the global population is at 7 billion.

So in 37 years the global population increased by 75%.

Experts predict that the global population will reach 9 billion before the year of 2050.

Not everyone uses birth control though, some people can't even get water; never mind birth control. Please open your eyes. Also, scientists are working on ways to preserve life; make you live longer. If this works then it will make a massive difference. We are also close to curing cancer and other life threatening diseases (via nanotechnology). We even think that in 100 years we won't have to drive because we will have cars that are controlled via some sort of GPS; this will mean that less people die on the roads. Scientists also think that they can grow organs, if this is also true (they have working examples at the moment) then they could be able to grow livers etc, this will cut down the deaths of liver disease from alcohol. Therefore the average life expectancy will only increase.

Both of you have ignored future science.

So, if we do reach a 15 billion global population then how will we cope?

'Space exploration is our only hope, Science is our only friend'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Snagprophet
We invented gravity

Really?

Oh, of course, I forget all those stories of Ancient Greeks, of Romans, of Vikings and of Normans just floating off into the sky because we hadn't "invented" the thing which keeps them on the gorund...
Reply 77
I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.

IM guessing your typing this on your Amstrad PC then ?:biggrin:
Original post by Sagacious
You do know that every day almost 1 billion people go without food? If the population does get to 10 billion then there will be even more; people in poverty are having children who are having children etc.

That statistic is wrong but I see your point. However it isn't a valid point because there is enough food in the world to feed everyone: http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm#Does_the_world_produce_enough_food_to_feed_everyone

It's not an 'extreme' estimate, there's nothing to say that the population can't increase to 20 billion + over time.

Well there is. All sorts of factors will lead to the levelling off of the population, I didn't pull that 9-10 billion figure out of my arse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation#Projections_of_population_growth

Bull****. Stop trying to sound intelligent and actually do a little research.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by j.alexanderh
BUll****. Stop trying to sound intelligent and actually do a little research.

Er... I'm hoping you just chose your words badly there because it sounded like you're advocating ignoring science...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending