The Student Room Group

Has America contributed anything towards the world?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
Er... I'm hoping you just chose your words badly there because it sounded like you're advocating ignoring science...

:tongue: I only meant to quote the first part.

Although 'science is our only friend' is a bit bull****ty anyway so I think I'll leave it.
Reply 81
Original post by j.alexanderh
:tongue: I only meant to quote the first part.

Although 'science is our only friend' is a bit bull****ty anyway so I think I'll leave it.

Might be a bit of a wishywashy way of putting it, but without it you wouldn't have any of your stats or a means of communicating them :wink:
Original post by Drewski
Might be a bit of a wishywashy way of putting it, but without it you wouldn't have any of your stats or a means of communicating them :wink:

Yeah but there's a difference between it being immensely useful and it being humanity's 'only friend'.

Also it sounds like a line from a really bad film :colonhash:
Reply 83
Well they certainly did in WW2 thats is why you are writing english here today not German. Go ask your mom and dad.:tongue:
Reply 84
Original post by Khan_79
Well they certainly did in WW2 thats is why you are writing english here today not German. Go ask your mom and dad.:tongue:

Sigh...

Never get tired of hearing this. Not least because those who say it clearly have no idea about the British and our reputation when it comes to learning languages. We'd still be speaking English, we'd just be doing so louder and slower.

By the by, re the bit on bold, at least we can type in English, it's more than you're doing.
Reply 85
Original post by Drewski
Sigh...

Never get tired of hearing this. Not least because those who say it clearly have no idea about the British and our reputation when it comes to learning languages. We'd still be speaking English, we'd just be doing so louder and slower.

By the by, re the bit on bold, at least we can type in English, it's more than you're doing.

Ah, so if you can't make a point, then resort to insulting the other person's grammar :rolleyes:.

The US did prevent britain falling to Nazi germany, with assistance from Russia.
Original post by j.alexanderh
That statistic is wrong but I see your point. However it isn't a valid point because there is enough food in the world to feed everyone: http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/Learn/world%20hunger%20facts%202002.htm#Does_the_world_produce_enough_food_to_feed_everyone

Well there is. All sorts of factors will lead to the levelling off of the population, I didn't pull that 9-10 billion figure out of my arse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation#Projections_of_population_growth

Bull****. Stop trying to sound intelligent and actually do a little research.

But no one has taken into account Science in 50 years. Its all well and good predicting population figures but you can't ignore science. Like I said; scientists think they can make people live to an older age therefore that will raise the average life expectancy. No one has included this in their prediction of the population as far as I know; especially Walter Greiling, seen as he predicted that way back in the 1950's and the other prediction that you referred me to (Wikipedia).

There probably is enough food for everyone yes. But for that we would all have to eat the same amount, this would mean the USA, UK, France, Germany, Spain etc would all have to cut down and give a lot of the food to Sudan, Chad, Nigeria and other poor countries. But that will never happen; people don't eat the same or even the required amount to live on.

When someone can show me a prediction that takes into account everything (even future science) then I may consider putting an ounce of trust into it.

Even then, this planet is also getting damaged in other ways; ice caps melting, limited amounts of energy etc.

Back to my very first point; it will be Science that solves these problems; maybe we can make Nuclear Fusion a practical working process etc.

If we can live somewhere else in the universe then it would provide a whole new dimension of resources/space.

The Earth will not be around forever, what then? Do we call it a day or do we fly to an exoplanet?
Reply 87
Original post by DYKWIA
Ah, so if you can't make a point, then resort to insulting the other person's grammar :rolleyes:.

The US did prevent britain falling to Nazi germany, with assistance from Russia.

Highly debatable, but again, that's not what he said, is it?

It was British [and Commonwealth] actions that ended the German's desires to invade the country. That action alone prevented us from 'talking German now'. Would we have 'won' the war without the US? Noone knows. I don't. You don't. You were providing aid long before you entered the war, long before Pearl, that made a difference, it's true, but it's not unreasonable to speculate that that would have continued without direct US involvement in the war.

However, this is neither the time nor the thread.
Reply 88
Original post by Sagacious
The Earth will not be around forever, what then? Do we call it a day or do we fly to an exoplanet?

I think I might be dead at that point and the probability that humanity hasn't done something really stupid and wiped themselves out is near as damn it 0.
Reply 89
Original post by DYKWIA

Have you read the details of operation Sealion?
We would have just sat on our little island and waited for the Russians to win
Reply 90
Original post by tpowertj
Have you read the details of operation Sealion?
We would have just sat on our little island and waited for the Russians to win

Operation wha?

Okay, you would be speaking german russian if it wasn't for us. Better?
Reply 91
Original post by lord snow
Everyone knows that wine is English.

How is it English considering it's been around for thousands of years and has been traced to have origins in Georgia about 8,000 years ago...
Reply 92
Original post by DYKWIA
Operation wha?

No. What he's saying is that Britain would've stayed back and watched the war without any invasion of Britain. Nazi Germany found it impossible to invade the UK. Read Operation Sea Lion, it's all there. We wouldn't have spoken Russian or German anyway. Sweden remained neutral in the end, if Britain had done so we would've been fine. Swedish people didn't speak German, they continued to speak Swedish.
Reply 93
Original post by DYKWIA
Operation wha?

You might've been speaking German anyway [long before either war] and who knows, if that had been the case maybe you'd have been on Germany's side?
Reply 94
Original post by DYKWIA
Operation wha?

The nazi invasion plan which entailed shipping over tanks on Rhine river barges and have them shoot backwards to propel themselves onto the beach-head.

mmm well i think its a pretty ridiculous assumption that russia would attack us after defeating the germans.
But this isn't a war thread so nevermind
Reply 95
Original post by KJane
How is it English considering it's been around for thousands of years and has been traced to have origins in Georgia about 8,000 years ago...

Don't joke.
Reply 96
The things you mention are not useful contributions. Who cares if the moon is moving away from the earth? Science is overated.

Says the guy typing away on a personal computer, which wouldn't be possible without an understanding of Quantum Physics, living in a Western country where science feeds clothes and keeps you warm among other perks such as designing your car and mobile phones and providing electricity through the wall and sending you television signals. Oh and keeping you alive when you catch that disease that used to be fatal 200 years ago before science found the reason and the cure.

Yeah science sucks
Reply 97
Original post by Khan_79

Yanks, we saved you in ww2, Vietam and Iraq. YOU SHOULD BE MORE GRATEFUL imho.
Reply 98
Yanks, we saved you in ww2, Vietam and Iraq. YOU SHOULD BE MORE GRATEFUL imho.

How, exactly? I admit that Britain's help in Iraq was really helpful, but the other two?!!
Reply 99
I was thinking about all the good things in the world and I realized that they were all British and to be more specific English. The Oxford English Dictionary, the officers of the British army and navy, the liberal political system, g and t, steak and wine. America has contributed nothing useful, just **** we don't need like mcdonalds and adverts.

You are speaking from the perspective of a purple faced retired major.
Not a balanced member of the human race who is familiar with the great American novellists, artists and entertainers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending