The Student Room Group

AS Results- now not sure what to do!

Hi! My school want me to have a pretty good idea of which uni to apply to by our meeting day on Wednesday and I have no idea where to go with my results. I'd love to study law.

My AS results were: History - A, English lit - A, Drama - A, Maths - C, French - D.
I was really disappointed with my French result- I'd got an A in the oral and a U in the writing/listening/speaking... Oh dear :P
I'd love to apply for places asking for 3 As, but I'm worried that an A in drama won't be taken seriously, especially when against other law students applications.
I plan on taking history, English, drama and French this year, retaking the French to get a higher grade :smile:

Can anyone offer me some advice?

I'm sorry for the rambling, I get stressed out just thinking about it all!
if you don't think drama would be taken seriously then why take it in A2?
Because I love it, and I know I can do well in it... if the French doesn't go well, I'd rather have another high grade behind me than not. I just realise that French would be viewed a lot more highly.
Original post by littlebluesocks
Hi! My school want me to have a pretty good idea of which uni to apply to by our meeting day on Wednesday and I have no idea where to go with my results. I'd love to study law.

My AS results were: History - A, English lit - A, Drama - A, Maths - C, French - D.
I was really disappointed with my French result- I'd got an A in the oral and a U in the writing/listening/speaking... Oh dear :P
I'd love to apply for places asking for 3 As, but I'm worried that an A in drama won't be taken seriously, especially when against other law students applications.
I plan on taking history, English, drama and French this year, retaking the French to get a higher grade :smile:

Can anyone offer me some advice?

I'm sorry for the rambling, I get stressed out just thinking about it all!

Check the university specifications for Law admissions. Only some unis strongly recommend you take very academic subjects and even then, some allow you to do one of the 'soft' subjects.
Original post by yahyahyahs
Check the university specifications for Law admissions. Only some unis strongly recommend you take very academic subjects and even then, some allow you to do one of the 'soft' subjects.

Okay, thank you :smile: I'm sorry- our university guidance at our school is terrible! Is it worth emailing the universities and asking?
Reply 5
I would say forget drama and continue with maths

resit a few modules in maths and up your ums
Original post by Ilyas
I would say forget drama and continue with maths

resit a few modules in maths and up your ums

Ahh I would love to, but I just don't have a head for maths. I was genuinely lucky to get C. I can forget drama though, if the consensus is that it's just not worth it..?
Reply 7
Ahh I would love to, but I just don't have a head for maths. I was genuinely lucky to get C. I can forget drama though, if the consensus is that it's just not worth it..?

I'm not an expert, but I do know for sure that if you want to get into a good Law school you'll need academic subjects. I don't know how academic Drama is, that is the problem or else I'd give you a more solid answer. Find out what your chosen unis Law departments think of A level Drama and then decide, but I doubt they would accept it as a strong choice, in which case...

Maths.
Original post by Ilyas
I'm not an expert, but I do know for sure that if you want to get into a good Law school you'll need academic subjects. I don't know how academic Drama is, that is the problem or else I'd give you a more solid answer. Find out what your chosen unis Law departments think of A level Drama and then decide, but I doubt they would accept it as a strong choice, in which case...

Maths.

Okay thank you for your honesty :smile: I wish my school had given some better advice than 'take what you enjoy'... Right, I guess I'm off to sort out my future!! Thank you :smile:
Okay, thank you :smile: I'm sorry- our university guidance at our school is terrible! Is it worth emailing the universities and asking?

You could if they aren't specific, but the most prominent two that have published statements regarding so-called 'soft' subjects are LSE and Cambridge. I think if you look on the uni websites, they usually say "xyz essential, blahblahblah recommended". Since you're doing Drama, I think that will come in handy if you wanna be a barrister!
Original post by yahyahyahs
You could if they aren't specific, but the most prominent two that have published statements regarding so-called 'soft' subjects are LSE and Cambridge. I think if you look on the uni websites, they usually say "xyz essential, blahblahblah recommended". Since you're doing Drama, I think that will come in handy if you wanna be a barrister!

I could always say it was all part of my master plan :wink: Though I think I might only get away with that if I crack on and sort out my french... so I guess that's what I'll have to do!

Quick Reply

Latest