The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnotherDude
Hey ACE1, congrats to a fellow 44-FOPPER :-)

No idea what the hell we will be doing.

But it is in the opening ceremony and that is kinda cool.

I am thinking it means "Flip Only Pancakes" and that we are probably the official "Pancake Flippers" at the ceremony.

THERE ARE PANCAKES?!

This just gets better and better!
Original post by dragon1234
Anyone in Group 49 A or B - do you remember all the different moves from this morning's routines? I'm struggling with them - if you have a list of the movements in either of the routines, please send it to me, I would massively appreciate it!

Any way you can inbox me on here mate? I'm just as bad at remembering so got a few girls to write a list for me!! So I got the list if u want it dude
sadly I didn't!! But a friend did and she was selected so she will be there!! how cool is that?!?!
Original post by mackemboi
Any way you can inbox me on here mate? I'm just as bad at remembering so got a few girls to write a list for me!! So I got the list if u want it dude

Aha you have already got them twisted round your little finger then -doing the helpless male act:biggrin::biggrin:!
Many congrats ACE 1. :beer::beer: Yes I am guilty of coining the term 44FOPPERS as there seem to be quite a number of you and you are all male and doing a utility role so it would seem logical that you are all beefcakes - not that I am in any way suggesting you were only chosen for your physique:biggrin:. In an earlier post snix reported having been told that the casting team were looking for people who looked as if they could push a cow :moo:over the moon :moon:so putting two and two together.... Other suggestions have been lifting the giant bell:bell:, sweeping up litter , moving boxes .... and flipping pancakes but whatever, it is supposed to relate to a key moment that would otherwise not happen without you guys so you are kinda important! I believe your first rehearsal is on May 1st although a couple of you cannot make that date. That is also the date that 44A starts so Wickedgrin and I will be there too and I am looking forward to meeting you hunky men then:biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Congrats ElleElle on getting an offer at both of the para ceremonies you must be thrilled! :banana::bumps:. And lympics yes it looks like you may have the very elitist role of placard bearer for one of the teams - if so a very high profile role!:smile:
Original post by MsIs
Galactica, hang on in there Im sure you will have a positive outcome.

Thank you madamoiselle:smile:. Eagerly waiting of positive offers:smile:
Taking as much of the "emotion" out of my personally frustrated situation as I possibly can for now, the negatives & positives about the auditioning process and the various outcomes from that so far can, I think, still best be summarised for me as follows:-

* Communication with auditionees has (I think we seem to largely agree) generally been quite poor since after the Nov/Dec. round of auditions (in sharp contrast to the many text reminders etc. we received reminding us about audition timings, venue etc. previously we have, at best, most of us been kept waiting longer than they told us we'd have to wait for an outcome

* If they are expecting reserves to maintain goodwill of any kind indefinately (as would appear to be the case) "just in case required later" they should, at least have told us what the compulsory & key dates for certain rehearsals were and whether that would be an acting/dancing/ballet or drumming focussed segment, so that we could plan accordingly and decide if we were willing to wait on that basis. No need to tell us venues or timings except am/pm/eve. at this stage perhaps if they are worried about complicating the lines of communication and/or too many people knowing too much of the detailed arrangements before they really need to know.

* The general feeling on here too is that us reserves have only a slim chance of being cast at a later date due to lack of suitable openings becoming available for us anyway yet casting continues to "mess with our heads" evidenced by their act (this week) of still extending the reserve list even further thus making the pool of choice open to them larger still - why? One has to wonder if they have already resigned themselves to the fact that, satistically speaking, very few of us not yet cast but held over from November/December auditions are willing to wait and, their latest approach is to now be very much "hedging their bets" (as I suspect could prove closer to the truth here, human nature being as it is and all that) on the basis that there is more chance of those who auditioned in February 2012 still being available come 1st May through to 27th July or whenever?

* Another commonly held view on here is that creatively and practically they wouldn't want (or be able) to slot us in to vacant slots too far down the line either. At which point does such an approach jeopardise that/those whole segment(s) of ceremony and what would the adverse time, press & cost implications of any decision taken to drop certain segments of performance from the ceremonies entirely past a certain rehearsal point? I should imagine that they will have only budgeted for so many hours of rehearsal time at commercial rates, so many costumes, so many props., so many Oyster travel cards and so much for catering etc. with a very small contingency left over in reserve for an unforseen overspend situation being an option open to them should the worst happen. Will any financial contingencies be enough to cover any slack?
* If they start tampering with numbers taking part and/or dropping segments completely they will, by then presumably, have wasted substantive sums doing CRB checks on us all as well, whether waitlisted or already cast (and one can only presume here that to be on reserve we also need to be security cleared as we know that these seemingly simple exercises take time, particularly if there are bulk applications to be processed and a government department involved). They also risk disappointing those already rehearsing who may not get the eventual opportunity to perform after all.

Whilst, personally speaking, I may not have "the look" but, unless they tell us what "the look" is (or it becomes obvious from the final screened performances) how will we ever know for sure that we have not been discriminated against on other grounds instead? Not selecting somebody simply for "how they look" is as bad if not worse than not selecting somebody for "what they can/cannot do" for you. They are supposed to be representing all of UK society in whatever demograpghic you happen to fit in that society are they not?

What I can still still offer them, however, is some flexibility with my time rehearsal-wise (if only they'd give me a better idea when I would likely be required and at what time if not details as to exactly where). I am somewhat fortunate that the new job I'm doing is flexible hours wise as only P/T and I can get by on that level of income whilst I wait for this unholy mess to resolve itself one way or t'other for me. I am also not doing exams not needing to book a holiday/wedding etc. too desperately such that I may end up having to choose that alternative over taking part in the ceremones. That does not, however, make the wait any more bearable as there are plenty of other things & invitations which would be fixed that I could miss out on unnessarily whilst they figure out if and what they are going to do with me and there's the rub.

Waiting if fine, not being selected is sort of fine (but not the end of the world for me), lack of communication with me is NOT FINE and no idea of if and when I would be required is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. Casting, presumably, still me and my fellow reserves slightly more that we need them evidenced by their reluctance to determine our application and remove us completely for their back up plan.

Someone on here said earlier in resonse to my question "do the casting team know what they're going? " being, yes, they know what THEY are doing but do they know what THEY are also doing to our collective sanities in the meantime? probably yes to the first part of that question but perhaps only possibly yes to the second part I think. I would wager most of them have NO IDEA and are dellusioned that everyone who has auditioned so far is either (a) delirous at being chosen despite the prospect of 28 rehearsals to, effectively "carry a stick" as a certain Mr Boyle stated on the 100 days to go show last week

(b) available 24/7 several times of year to do the rehearsals/perform the part/role in the ceremony.

(c) Be able to tolerate all sorts of crap whilst on duty, such as heavy rain whilst queuing outside to go in (something else I am not particularly pleased to hear happened - would not have suffered silently if that were me).

........... to be continued (maybe)
I'm not sure how true 'the look' thing is, there is certainly a range of age, shapes, races and sizes in group 47. There is no rhyme or reason to the look at all. Plus, is it possible to discriminate on other grounds in an open volunteer audition? I don't think, legally, you can say discrimination has potentially taken place. They saw everyone, they didn't offer everyone a definite role, a cross sector has been represented, where's the discrimination?

Yes, communication was poor, but I still can't help but think that if we were on the inside, we'd be a little more lenient. There are thousands of auditionees involved. Let's face it, we've all applied for paid jobs and never got any form of response as 'due to sheer volumes of applicants it is not possible to contact all applicants' or whatever. Imagine the task this must be. Maybe i'm naive, but I fail to believe that there's a room full of people twiddling their thumbs, maliciously not e-mailing people back. I'm sure the paid and unpaid staff are doing all they can within their time and budget constraints.

And, maybe they are hedging their bets, but it's what they have to do to cover themselves, all sports teams and plays have reserves. They Haven't given reserves a no, because there is a chance. There has only been one week of rehearsals. No costumes have been made. No dances completely learned. There is still time to be called upon. I guess they assume your second recall will indicate what you are a deserve for. If it was drumming, those rehearsals don't start for a couple of weeks yet. What if people don't turn up and there aren't any reserves? The reserves are necessary.
Original post by galactica2009
Thank you madamoiselle:smile:. Eagerly waiting of positive offers:smile:

galactica, you have such a warm, positive outlook. It's very refreshing and lovely. Good luck!!!
Reply 6590
for anyone on the reserve list, here's some info that might be interesting.

i'm in a group where a fair few people have dropped out (they must be crazy/stupid or something!) and at the second rehearsal there were a lot of new people, presumably from the reserve list.

so they DO use the reserve lists, don't be disheartened! it's not just an empty gesture. keep those fingers crossed and good luck.
Thanks for hubby's congratulations, I've passed them on! MsIs and Granta you'll have to make yourselves known on Thursday! I was looking for Team GB bracelets and and pink t-shirts lurking but didn't see any!
Good luck to those still waiting!
MP x
Hi All

Back from my travels and ready to roll - not! Was reading online, whilst I was away, that some performers are being paid anything from £600 to appear in the ceremonies and had several emails from friends in this regard. Was very quick to point out that we are volunteers and I, as many of us are, will be forking out considerable sums to cover my travel up to Oyster card limits for the rehearsal run.

Sad to see that the Reserve situation is still as was! I really do feel that they have bitten off more than they can chew. On another note, received my Games Maker notification to say that I am also a Reserve! They rambled on about special skills - well I am a qualified First Aider, driver with clear licence, hold several clear enhanced CRB checks, am a qualified Lawyer, have been Event Organising for charity for over ten years etc etc etc - so obviously those skills were not special enough then! Again - smaller bites for LOCOG I think lol!

Had a fab time in the Far East and am looking forward to getting to those rehearsals!!

EG
Reply 6593
Original post by kyurogo
for anyone on the reserve list, here's some info that might be interesting.

i'm in a group where a fair few people have dropped out (they must be crazy/stupid or something!) and at the second rehearsal there were a lot of new people, presumably from the reserve list.

so they DO use the reserve lists, don't be disheartened! it's not just an empty gesture. keep those fingers crossed and good luck.

Yeay! Thanks for sharing Kyurogo! I haven't given up, it's all only just started - I feel very positive about it all :smile:
Reply 6594
Original post by Mandy_Panda
I'm not sure how true 'the look' thing is, there is certainly a range of age, shapes, races and sizes in group 47. There is no rhyme or reason to the look at all. Plus, is it possible to discriminate on other grounds in an open volunteer audition? I don't think, legally, you can say discrimination has potentially taken place. They saw everyone, they didn't offer everyone a definite role, a cross sector has been represented, where's the discrimination?

Yes, communication was poor, but I still can't help but think that if we were on the inside, we'd be a little more lenient. There are thousands of auditionees involved. Let's face it, we've all applied for paid jobs and never got any form of response as 'due to sheer volumes of applicants it is not possible to contact all applicants' or whatever. Imagine the task this must be. Maybe i'm naive, but I fail to believe that there's a room full of people twiddling their thumbs, maliciously not e-mailing people back. I'm sure the paid and unpaid staff are doing all they can within their time and budget constraints.

And, maybe they are hedging their bets, but it's what they have to do to cover themselves, all sports teams and plays have reserves. They Haven't given reserves a no, because there is a chance. There has only been one week of rehearsals. No costumes have been made. No dances completely learned. There is still time to be called upon. I guess they assume your second recall will indicate what you are a deserve for. If it was drumming, those rehearsals don't start for a couple of weeks yet. What if people don't turn up and there aren't any reserves? The reserves are necessary.

I agree wholeheartedly Mandy, I am sure my role was cast purely based on personality. The recall audition was very strange based around a 10 second slot on a microphone! I am sure had I not been cast I would be despondent too but would, I think, try to do something else, as some of you have done, to be involved!
This forum has been a great melting pot of emotions, joy, sadness, excitement, anticipation.....and the occasional venue for a good old rant!! I personally feel very much part of a great community and the 10+ weeks of waiting till I got the offer, a place of therapy too!
As kyurogo has mentioned not all rehearsals have started and some have already dropped out, so its still early days so its what us Brits do best.....WE WAIT....and form an orderly queue.....and we will am sure hear of the Reserves on here get that call!! :angel:
Original post by Essex Girl
On another note, received my Games Maker notification to say that I am also a Reserve! They rambled on about special skills - well I am a qualified First Aider, driver with clear licence, hold several clear enhanced CRB checks, am a qualified Lawyer, have been Event Organising for charity for over ten years etc etc etc - so obviously those skills were not special enough then!

Or you are over-qualified for some of the roles that are there and think you might get bored guarding a car park or preparing people for bag-checks. There are times where I wonder if LOCOG are using a Magic 8 ball to make decisions! :wink:

On a brighter note, I'm just getting ready to head to the Aquatics Centre to watch the final London Prepares synchronised swimming session... anyone else going along this afternoon?
Reply 6596
Original post by Flakeydom
Or you are over-qualified for some of the roles that are there and think you might get bored guarding a car park or preparing people for bag-checks. There are times where I wonder if LOCOG are using a Magic 8 ball to make decisions! :wink:

On a brighter note, I'm just getting ready to head to the Aquatics Centre to watch the final London Prepares synchronised swimming session... anyone else going along this afternoon?

Enjoy the synchronised swimming, I think its come a long way! It will be a spectacle!!
:smile:
Reply 6597
Original post by Essex Girl
Hi All

Back from my travels and ready to roll - not! Was reading online, whilst I was away, that some performers are being paid anything from £600 to appear in the ceremonies and had several emails from friends in this regard. Was very quick to point out that we are volunteers and I, as many of us are, will be forking out considerable sums to cover my travel up to Oyster card limits for the rehearsal run.

Sad to see that the Reserve situation is still as was! I really do feel that they have bitten off more than they can chew. On another note, received my Games Maker notification to say that I am also a Reserve! They rambled on about special skills - well I am a qualified First Aider, driver with clear licence, hold several clear enhanced CRB checks, am a qualified Lawyer, have been Event Organising for charity for over ten years etc etc etc - so obviously those skills were not special enough then! Again - smaller bites for LOCOG I think lol!

Had a fab time in the Far East and am looking forward to getting to those rehearsals!!

EG

As Flakey said, you are well over-qualified!!!
We have too long to wait.....well and truly! Oh well only 2 months to go now :smile:
Reply 6598
Original post by ManicPeanut
Thanks for hubby's congratulations, I've passed them on! MsIs and Granta you'll have to make yourselves known on Thursday! I was looking for Team GB bracelets and and pink t-shirts lurking but didn't see any!
Good luck to those still waiting!
MP x

Absolutely. Will PM you before, maybe Wednesday.
Reply 6599
Original post by Flakeydom

Enjoy Flakey. I have tickets for hockey in May, so looking forward to that. At least (last e should it be) the sun is out today.

Latest