The Student Room Group

relative prestige of Oxford colleges

This post arose out of discussions in another thread, in which we were trying to ascertain whether individual colleges within Oxbridge were accorded varying levels of prestige in a meaningful way.

Of course, by its very definition, 'prestige' cannot be a matter of individual taste, but must come from some sort of consensus within society.

I would therefore ask participants herein to indicate their perception of the relative prestige of Oxonian colleges in some fashion. I suggest giving each college a score out of 10, but feel free to use any other means you feel is convenient, e.g., ranking the colleges from 1 to n, or grouping colleges together with broadly similar levels of prestige, etc.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine if the concept of 'prestige' really has any validity as applied to individual colleges, rather than to the university as a whole.

For your convenience, the colleges of Oxford are listed below:

All Souls College
Balliol College
Blackfriars
Brasenose College
Campion Hall
Christ Church
Corpus Christi College
Exeter College
Green College
Greyfriars
Harris Manchester College
Hertford College
Jesus College
Keble College
Kellogg College
Lady Margaret Hall
Linacre College
Lincoln College
Magdalen College
Mansfield College
Merton College
New College
Nuffield College
Oriel College
Pembroke College
Queen's College, The
Regent's Park College
Somerville College
St Anne's College
St Antony's College
St Benet's Hall
St Catherine's College
St Cross College
St Edmund Hall
St Hilda's College
St Hugh's College
St John's College
St Peter's College
St Stephen's House
Templeton College
Trinity College
University College
Wadham College
Wolfson College
Worcester College
Wycliffe Hall

Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Radagasty
This post arose out of discussions in another thread, in which we were trying to ascertain whether individual colleges within Oxbridge were accorded varying levels of prestige in a meaningful way.

The purpose of this exercise is to determine if the concept of 'prestige' really has any validity as applied to individual colleges, rather than to the university as a whole.

It's clear that in the minds of many applicants and schools there is a prestige 'league table' of colleges. Broadly speaking this looks a bit like the Norrington Table although some that are currently doing OK in that like St Annes are typically seen as prestigous whereas some that should do better retain a certain (undeserved?) prestige.

Contrary to what the University likes to pretend there are significant differences between colleges and whilst this has some postive aspects it does mean that the student experience can be different. What's more worrying is that increasingly the colleges are dividing into three groups:

1. The Academic Colleges - attracting a high percentage of the best qualified students and passing increasing numbers on to other colleges

2. The Recipient Colleges - tend to take many of those who were near misses at the first group in preference to applicants who have selected that college but are preceived as weaker.

3. The In Betweens - not highly competitive but their 'own' applicants usually rate as equivalent to the near misses from Group 1.

Although this isn't quite as clear cut as it I make it sound and much of the pooling is a very good thing surely it is not healthy to have this spread in one institution. It makes admissions more of a lottery and is a source of inherent unfairness. The Uni's literature makes it sound very equal but much of the 'pooling'/passing on of students is essentially one way traffic.
Reply 2
come on more posts!
im interested in this
Reply 3
scanner
1. The Academic Colleges - attracting a high percentage of the best qualified students and passing increasing numbers on to other colleges

2. The Recipient Colleges - tend to take many of those who were near misses at the first group in preference to applicants who have selected that college but are preceived as weaker.

3. The In Betweens - not highly competitive but their 'own' applicants usually rate as equivalent to the near misses from Group 1.

That doesn't necessarily figure. My own college takes a lot of people who have been pooled from other colleges, but is still very academic and gets the best results for women in the university.
Reply 4
hildabeast
That doesn't necessarily figure. My own college takes a lot of people who have been pooled from other colleges, but is still very academic and gets the best results for women in the university.

I didn't realise that St Hilda's was academic, I've often heard people claiming the exact opposite.

Before application, I didn't know of very many of the Oxf. colleges, generally I don't think any of them are anywhere near as famous as Kings/Trinity at Cambridge.

I had heard of Christ Church as being a particularly wealthy and traditional.

New College too, as I was teaching people in Jap. about British education and it has fairly strong links with Eton.

Nuffield I am aware of, as I've studied the social sciences for some time. It's very well known within acdemic circles, and is considered an 'elite' college, very prestigious and very difficult to get into.

Also, I had heard of Univ. College, i.e. as the founding college and also Balliol.

The rest, well, I had heard the names, but I didn't actually know anything about them. I think this is probably the outside view.
Reply 5
Before my interview at Oxford, I was told that Magdalen is very prestigious and that it attracts alot of posh students. Even though this may said of some fellow applicants, the students of the college were very friendly and down to earth.

Anyhow, I think Balliol and St. Johns are also very prestigious.
Reply 6
J.S.
I didn't realise that St Hilda's was academic, I've often heard people claiming the exact opposite.

Well I get two essays per week whereas most people doing my subject in other colleges get either 1 a week or 3 a fortnight. Our medics do sooooo much work compared to those in other colleges; we're talking 7 pieces of work a week, plus labs, lectures, and a day spent in a surgery each week. No other first yr pre-clinical students in the university do surgery work, apparently. They really do work us very, very hard here.
Reply 7
J.S.

Before application, I didn't know of very many of the Oxf. colleges, generally I don't think any of them are anywhere near as famous as Kings/Trinity at Cambridge.

I had heard of Christ Church as being a particularly wealthy and traditional.

New College too, as I was teaching people in Jap. about British education and it has fairly strong links with Eton.

Nuffield I am aware of, as I've studied the social sciences for some time. It's very well known within acdemic circles, and is considered an 'elite' college, very prestigious and very difficult to get into.

Also, I had heard of Univ. College, i.e. as the founding college and also Balliol.

The rest, well, I had heard the names, but I didn't actually know anything about them. I think this is probably the outside view.

Being particular, Eton has links with King's Cambridge (both founded by Henry VI (I think)), while New College has links with Winchester (both founded by William of Wykeham). Both schools used to have closed scholarships to these colleges, and New College still have a say on the governing body at Winchester. Not sure if this still the case at Eton though.
Reply 8
winorloose
Being particular, Eton has links with King's Cambridge (both founded by Henry VI (I think)), while New College has links with Winchester (both founded by William of Wykeham). Both schools used to have closed scholarships to these colleges, and New College still have a say on the governing body at Winchester. Not sure if this still the case at Eton though.

We used to have a close relationship with Cheltenham Ladies' College because both the school and the college were founded by Miss Beale, but this has pretty much died now. There are still Cheltenham Ladies' people around but they don't get special consideration in the admissions process anymore.
Reply 9
hildabeast
We used to have a close relationship with Cheltenham Ladies' College because both the school and the college were founded by Miss Beale, but this has pretty much died now. There are still Cheltenham Ladies' people around but they don't get special consideration in the admissions process anymore.

Yeah, there is no longer any preference for Wykehamists to New College, (not overtly at least) though doubtless one or two apply each year. Even so, the Warden of New College does sit on the Governing Body, a strange mix... They'll probably change that in the near future.
Reply 10
winorloose

Ah you're absolutely right, hittin old age and beginnin to confuse the public schools!
Reply 11
hildabeast
Well I get two essays per week whereas most people doing my subject in other colleges get either 1 a week or 3 a fortnight. Our medics do sooooo much work compared to those in other colleges; we're talking 7 pieces of work a week, plus labs, lectures, and a day spent in a surgery each week. No other first yr pre-clinical students in the university do surgery work, apparently. They really do work us very, very hard here.

I didn't think St Hilda's did so well on the final classification tables; why would that be, if indeed I am not mistaken....
J.S.
I didn't think St Hilda's did so well on the final classification tables; why would that be, if indeed I am not mistaken....

Well they don't do the worst but yes, they're usually in the bottom half of the Norrington Table. The reason for this is that, in Oxford, women perform worse than men in finals. There has been a great deal of analysis in order to determine exactly why this is, but they do. Women tend to get more 2:1s/2:2s whereas men get more 1sts/3rd, but the Norrington Table gives more weighting to a first. For a while now Hilda's has been getting the best results for women, but this just doesn't show through on the table.

Oh, and when the names of candidates were removed from finals papers about 10 years ago so that each was anonymous, women's marks shot up by 20%. Coincidence? Unlikely.
Reply 13
J.S.
Ah you're absolutely right, hittin old age and beginnin to confuse the public schools!

Don't worry it happens to us all :wink:
Reply 14
hildabeast

Oh, and when the names of candidates were removed from finals papers about 10 years ago so that each was anonymous, women's marks shot up by 20%. Coincidence? Unlikely.

You're kidding me! That's awful. Well, it's good that they changed it, but it's bad it used to happen...you know what I mean. We do it all with candidate numbers now, and even a lot of university admin/college stuff is done by initials and surname rather than first names (e.g. names above doors, letters, that sort of thing).

Certainly sounds like your medics work harder than us, Hildabeast!
hildabeast

OMG, I met a girl from Cheltenham ladies the other day....I didn't know such a school existed....
Does anyone know why Cheltenham Ladies spend half their life on Kings Road in Chelsea draped in Pashmina scarves four times thier body length (speaking fondly of daddies highland holiday home in Scotland)? If the school is in Cheltenham, how do these slappers manage to reach london so frequently???? It is all so confusing.
It always surprises me the number of threads started about the relative prestige of Oxbridge colleges.

Is it because today's students have grown up with league tables that they seem to have this obsession?
earthmother
It always surprises me the number of threads started about the relative prestige of Oxbridge colleges.

Is it because today's students have grown up with league tables that they seem to have this obsession?

.......I met a Trinity College, Cambridge alumnus last week....and he told me that becoming a member of Trinity opened all sorts of doors for him.............more so than his Kings etc counterparts.

I think the obsession is rooted in Oxbridge university tradition and league tables are a way to perhaps justify the obsession??????
Reply 18
Speaking from an non-Brit's perspective, Balliol and Magdalen were the ones which prompted most name recognition from me when I started looking at the different colleges, followed by Christchurch and perhaps Wadham. I must admit that despite the fact that it tops the Norrington table, I'd never even heard of Merton until recently.
Reply 19
I dont exactly think its fair to compare UG to PG to PPHs to be honest either. If you're going to engage in this inane "prestige" business, at least compare like for like.

Latest

Trending

Trending