The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by No Future
7k? Um no.

care to enlighten me on this?

5 years is 2 more than 3 years, therefore:

2 multiplied by 3.5k = 7k
Original post by Seher
Just to throw this out there... why is it that doctors/med students are supposed to be so carefully humble about their profession? I understand that they shouldn't be arrogant or rude about their salary etc. but surely in a personal sense anybody who chooses ANY career and is as motivated to pursue it as doctors have to be these days (not unlike other top paid professions) WOULD believe that other professionals have reason to be jealous of them because they think their job is the best out there, if they didn't they would've picked something else?

I'd expect the same from top class city lawyers, etc or anyone who's worked exceptionally hard to get where - they think its something amazing and that's why they choose it! in their eyes it is the best. I see it all the time that it's "allowed" for other science students or pharmacists to knock medics for various things, but when they do it back (in a banter sort of way) it's automatically arrogant? Why shouldn't nurses be a bit more humble too rather than just dare a med student to say the slightest thing so they can chew them up about it?

Not sure if I've explained this well lol I'm sleepy :tongue:

I think its all about teamwork really and within the NHS there are a lot of levels of care which the patient goes through. No doubt the doctor(s) involved play the most crucial role, but the humbleness is something which is required to treat patients and creates a level of understanding and ease. Its not like the old days of medicine in the UK....

city lawyers and bankers.... a different story..
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by fuzzybear

Studying Medicine costs more than tuition fees
Studying Medicine costs more than tuition fees

Ok i'll give you living costs. But thats irrelevant because you'd still have to pay living cost regardless of whether you're still studying or not. What other costs have I left out? :confused: please enlighten me
Reply 64
i think its because some doctors give nurses a hard time, like on my placements you would always get a couple of doctors who are horrible to the nurses and think they are better than everyone else, or that dont explain things properly, like what they want doing and just expect us to know what they want/are after, which for a first year student isnt always that easy and that can lead to tensions.

also a lot of the time nurses dont get much respect for the work that they put in. plus if a doctor is running late or we are waiting for something for a patient, like to be seen by a certain doctor who doesnt turn up for 3 hours, then its the nurses that get it in the neck and face anger from the patients more often than the doctors, so i think a lot of it builds up and if it seems like the new student doctor is patronising towards them then it can sometimes come across as hostility towards them. it also depends on the med student themselves, there are some that are really nice and friendly, who also help out the student nurses (iv found that the med students on my placements were a lot better with explaining things to me as they did something because they are still learning too so it occured to them more to explain things than some of the senior doctors. if the med student is genuine and friendly then they will have an easier time and the nurses will be friendlier and more willing to help than someone who tries to hard with them.
Reply 65
Original post by vickie89
i think its because some doctors give nurses a hard time, like on my placements you would always get a couple of doctors who are horrible to the nurses and think they are better than everyone else, or that dont explain things properly, like what they want doing and just expect us to know what they want/are after, which for a first year student isnt always that easy and that can lead to tensions.

also a lot of the time nurses dont get much respect for the work that they put in. plus if a doctor is running late or we are waiting for something for a patient, like to be seen by a certain doctor who doesnt turn up for 3 hours, then its the nurses that get it in the neck and face anger from the patients more often than the doctors, so i think a lot of it builds up and if it seems like the new student doctor is patronising towards them then it can sometimes come across as hostility towards them. it also depends on the med student themselves, there are some that are really nice and friendly, who also help out the student nurses (iv found that the med students on my placements were a lot better with explaining things to me as they did something because they are still learning too so it occured to them more to explain things than some of the senior doctors. if the med student is genuine and friendly then they will have an easier time and the nurses will be friendlier and more willing to help than someone who tries to hard with them.

Have you ever seen it from the medics side? As a nurse, however much hell breaks loose, you are on 1 ward with maybe 12 patients, this obviously depends on the ward and the ratios of nurses and HCAs on....now, expand your horizons, imagine being the medical F1 on ward cover across 5 different wards in different parts of the hospital. 30 pts per ward, thats 150 patients. Now, if 10% of them have a problem, thats 15 pts. Now, the 3 hour wait for the man who needs a catheter might seem more reasonable...Do you think medics just sit there doing nothing all day? This coming from the nursing profession, where alot of nurses simply don't do personal care anymore, or obs or feeding and divert their keen and penetrating degree level education to writing up care plans?

Stop criticising doctors, until you look at how your own profession treats HCAs - it's absolutly pathetic that because some parts of the profession are resentful or bitter that they can treat HCAs like ****. Some doctors are horrible to nurses, just as some nurses are horrible to doctors, and it is mostly the juniors who get the **** - why? Because those dumping the **** would never have the testicles to say any of it to the senior staff, and so they just abuse whoever they can.

Grow up. You see why not shadow the F1 for a day and discover how much **** they have to deal with. It's always just too easy to take pot shots from the cheap seats though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by Wangers
Have you ever seen it from the medics side? As a nurse, however much hell breaks loose, you are on 1 ward with maybe 12 patients, this obviously depends on the ward and the ratios of nurses and HCAs on....now, expand your horizons, imagine being the medical F1 on ward cover across 10 different wards in different parts of the hospital. 30 pts per ward, thats 150 patients. Now, if 10% of them have a problem, thats 15 pts. Now, the 3 hour wait for the man who needs a catheter might seem more reasonable...Do you think medics just sit there doing nothing all day? This coming from the nursing profession, where alot of nurses simply don't do personal care anymore, or obs or feeding and divert their keen and penetrating degree level education to writing up care plans?

Stop criticising doctors, until you look at how your own profession treats HCAs - it's absolutly pathetic that because some parts of the profession are resentful or bitter that they can treat HCAs like ****. Some doctors are horrible to nurses, just as some nurses are horrible to doctors, and it is mostly the juniors who get the **** - why? Because those dumping the **** would never have the testicles to say any of it to the senior staff, and so they just abuse whoever they can.

Grow up. You see why not shadow the F1 for a day and discover how much **** they have to deal with. It's always just too easy to take pot shots from the cheap seats though.

Well said

Tuition fees post year 4 (so one or two year) are also paid by the NHS, no?
Original post by chloemo14
Tuition fees post year 4 (so one or two year) are also paid by the NHS, no?

dunno probably :dontknow:
Reply 69
Original post by Wangers
Have you ever seen it from the medics side? As a nurse, however much hell breaks loose, you are on 1 ward with maybe 12 patients, this obviously depends on the ward and the ratios of nurses and HCAs on....now, expand your horizons, imagine being the medical F1 on ward cover across 5 different wards in different parts of the hospital. 30 pts per ward, thats 150 patients. Now, if 10% of them have a problem, thats 15 pts. Now, the 3 hour wait for the man who needs a catheter might seem more reasonable...Do you think medics just sit there doing nothing all day? This coming from the nursing profession, where alot of nurses simply don't do personal care anymore, or obs or feeding and divert their keen and penetrating degree level education to writing up care plans?

firstly theres no need to get that worked up over what i said, and sorry if i sounded mean or anything, i didnt mean it to come across that way at all. i never moaned about the doctors, i just probably didnt explain it that well.i think youll find i mentioned how helpful i found the student doctors. about the waiting time i used it as an example about why some patients complain to us. i understand that the doctors get called away and things get very busy (my ward is based over 2 childrens wards - a theatre side and a general illness side with about 20 patients in total at a time, as well as outpatients and triage that we do as well so i know it gets crazy busy at times. i mainly used it as an example to show how the patients dont take this into consideration, so we get the complaints more than the doctors and it can lead to tensions. also i am a childrens nurse, so we get very impatient kids and extremely stressed out parents, so patience on their parts isnt always that easy to convey.

i like the doctors, iv found a lot of them to be extremely nice and very happy to explain what they do as they do it, we had one F1 who was new to the ward, he sat down with me and another student, explained the progression of the doctor (from starting as a new student to right up to consultant level) and what is involved in being a doctor, because we wanted to learn more about it and my younger cousin wants to be a doctor as well (he has just done first year of A levels).i have shadowed a doctor a few times, once when he had to do checks on all the newborns in maternity to assess that they could go home, and he explained everything he was doing as he did it and why he was doing it. i saw how often he got told to do extra things and how many pages he got so i definately do understand about the being waylaid thing.

i mentioned about doctors giving nurses a hard time, because some of them do, but i do realise that the nurses do this too at times, the same happens in any job, and i only said the thing about the med student not being patronising and if they are genuine, etc in response to the OP who said he made a conscious effort to show that he knew she was more senior, or something along those lines, it wasnt a dig at student doctors in general.

again, i am sorry if what i said came across as mean or something, in my defense i probably shouldnt be on here atm as i havent been well (been ill all week with a viral infection and mild fever) so my brain probably wasnt working that well when i was typing and it came out a bit wrong. sorry :smile:
Reply 70
The whole doctor/nurse relationship again..
They are two very different careers, with the patient being a common ground. Nursing is as much a vocation as is medicine, and the majority (there are always the exceptions) of people go into nursing because they actually want to be nurses!
We are not jealous of you, our priority is patient care, and sometimes this is forgotten by the medical team. It seems very silly, but sending students into take a history from a patient over meal times, means the patient misses the one chance of a hot meal they may get. So we might get a bit annoyed when we have to go round the ward evicting students and docs in order to feed our patients.

I welcome the medical students on my ward, and always make an effort to talk to them, show them around, and even feed them chocolates, but sometimes it is like drawing teeth trying to get a conversation out of them! They come into the ward, huddle in a group of 2 or 3 and run in the opposite direction when you try speaking to them!

Basic things to remember to do:
Avoid protected meal times
Clean up after yourself (especially when doing bloods)
Introduce yourself to the nurses on the ward

If anyone has a problem with you, remember its not personal! Everyone has bad days, and some people have attitude problems. Its not necessarily related to being a doc or a nurse!

I can't wait to get on the wards as a medic! This is going to be fun...
Original post by Who's N?
I just wanna be nosy and ask if you're ACTUALLY a 2nd year medic at imperial? Considering term only started yesterday, it would be difficult for you to go on a placement at a hospital as part of your med course...?

I'm not at Imperial, but people in my year have been to hospital placements already
Ok i'll give you living costs. But thats irrelevant because you'd still have to pay living cost regardless of whether you're still studying or not. What other costs have I left out? :confused: please enlighten me

It is very relevant because you are a full time student as opposed to a full time worker. Therefore you have to borrow lots of money to pay for your living costs.

:rolleyes:
Original post by Wangers

Couldn't agree more.
It is very relevant because you are a full time student as opposed to a full time worker. Therefore you have to borrow lots of money to pay for your living costs.

Ok I get it, you have to borrow money, which means theres interest rate to pay on top of the money towards living costs which you'd have to pay regardless of whether you're studying. So how much extra would interest rate amount to? :rolleyes:
Reply 75
When I was working as a HCA during my gap year, I would feel uncomfortable around some of the nurses -who were a bit like this -> :plz2: with me :frown:

The others were lovely though :smile:
Ok I get it, you have to borrow money, which means theres interest rate to pay on top of the money towards living costs which you'd have to pay regardless of whether you're studying. So how much extra would interest rate amount to? :rolleyes:

What part of studying full time vs working full time do you not understand?

What part of studying full time vs working full time do you not understand?

I don't even understand what you're trying to do there, but the original issue was about the cost of living between studying and working. You stated the fact that by studying you'd have to borrow money, which was correct, then I said the additional cost as a result of that is interest rate - I then asked you how much extra this would result for med students and you've completely avoided the question :facepalm2:. I'm getting tired of this conversation with you replying back with nonsensical ramblings that either fail to support what you've said before or divert away from the issue.
Reply 78
Some nurses are horrible to the student nurses so they're definitely not gonna be nice to med students.
nonsensical ramblings .

Lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending