The Student Room Group

Fear of becoming a nurse

I want to be a nurse for the obvious reason of wanting to help people.However, I am so scared because of the state of the NHS in the UK, 2500 unpaid hours at uni, and hearing abt nurses being mistreated
I am doing my a levels currently and am wondering if this is irrational? Or other career ideas as I really do feel passionate about it but I don't want to be exploited

thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by 3mily567
I want to be a nurse for the obvious reason of wanting to help people.However, I am so scared because of the state of the NHS in the UK, 2500 unpaid hours at uni, and hearing abt nurses being mistreated
I am doing my a levels currently and am wondering if this is irrational? Or other career ideas as I really do feel passionate about it but I don't want to be exploited

Go and apply for a nursing degree at your chosen universities.
You'll make a fantastic nurse if you give yourself the opportunity to prove your are capable. Make sure you have the necessary entry requirements for your chosen universities okay.

Don't worry about the state of how the NHS is currently in because it will get better eventually when the government decides to put the money back into it.

You do 4600 hours of which - 2300 hours are your university studying weeks, 2300 hours of practical training on placements in either hospitals or GP surgeries etc.

You are paid in some way with the NHS learning grants which is not repayable. You'll be able to get loans which you have to repay.
Don't think you are alone in this situation with unpaid work as every student nurse has gone through this at some point in there nursing careers.

Rest assure that not every student nurse is being mistreated as you'll find that they are being picked on during certain placements, you do unfortunately get good and bad placements everywhere you go and you might be lucky enough to never experience a bad placement. You don't let a bad placement put you off.

You want to be a nurse for a good reason so make it your ambitions to become this good nurse and get yourself into university.

A NHS registered midwife

@Emily_B as a registered adult nurse can you give this person so of your good knowledge about becoming a nurse.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
Go and apply for a nursing degree at your chosen universities.
You'll make a fantastic nurse if you give yourself the opportunity to prove your are capable. Make sure you have the necessary entry requirements for your chosen universities okay.
Don't worry about the state of how the NHS is currently in because it will get better eventually when the government decides to put the money back into it.
You do 4600 hours of which - 2300 hours are your university studying weeks, 2300 hours of practical training on placements in either hospitals or GP surgeries etc.
You are paid in some way with the NHS learning grants which is not repayable. You'll be able to get loans which you have to repay.
Don't think you are alone in this situation with unpaid work as every student nurse has gone through this at some point in there nursing careers.
Rest assure that not every student nurse is being mistreated as you'll find that they are being picked on during certain placements, you do unfortunately get good and bad placements everywhere you go and you might be lucky enough to never experience a bad placement. You don't let a bad placement put you off.
You want to be a nurse for a good reason so make it your ambitions to become this good nurse and get yourself into university.
A NHS registered midwife
@Emily_B as a registered adult nurse can you give this person so of your good knowledge about becoming a nurse.
Thank you for the reassurance haha though I really do fear the long hours :frown:
I feel that i will end up applying regardless for nursing
Thank you :smile:
Thank you for the reassurance haha though I really do fear the long hours :frown:
I feel that i will end up applying regardless for nursing
Thank you :smile:
Hi

You are welcome 🤗🤗

Do apply for the nursing degree and see what happens ☺️.

Long hours are just part of the job but the good thing is you get 4 days off when you are working placements in hospital wards setting, different for community nursing they tend to be inline with the GP working hours each week but you get 1 day off in the week plus free weekends.
Honestly you get use to working the long hours but at first you'll find it a bit hard going until you get use to working them.... don't let it put you off 😞😞
Hey!

Doing a nursing degree and becoming a nurse is an amazing thing to do. It is one of the hardest, yet most rewarding degree and job to do.

The NHS is struggling yes, but that is just part of the job. There is always a need for more nurses, so take the opportunity and become a nurse so that you can help people, make a difference and support the NHS.

You do 2300 hours of placement, in hospital and community, and 2300 of theory. Yes these hours are unpaid, but you do get a £5,000 a year bursary which you are not required to pay back, this is because of doing an NHS Course. It is hard but it is very much worth it.

Unfortunately, people do get mistreated in every job, not just the NHS. It is a rare case of people being mistreated, most staff are lovely and most patients are very kind and understanding.

It is normal to have fears but I would recommend having a good think about it, decide if you definitely want to do this. IT is hard but it is amazing and rewarding, I would recommend it, especially if you feel passionate about it. Be brave, take the leap, it'll be worth it.

Best of luck!
Jess - Digital Student ambassador and Student Nurse at ARU
Original post by ARUStudents
Hey!
Doing a nursing degree and becoming a nurse is an amazing thing to do. It is one of the hardest, yet most rewarding degree and job to do.
The NHS is struggling yes, but that is just part of the job. There is always a need for more nurses, so take the opportunity and become a nurse so that you can help people, make a difference and support the NHS.
You do 2300 hours of placement, in hospital and community, and 2300 of theory. Yes these hours are unpaid, but you do get a £5,000 a year bursary which you are not required to pay back, this is because of doing an NHS Course. It is hard but it is very much worth it.
Unfortunately, people do get mistreated in every job, not just the NHS. It is a rare case of people being mistreated, most staff are lovely and most patients are very kind and understanding.
It is normal to have fears but I would recommend having a good think about it, decide if you definitely want to do this. IT is hard but it is amazing and rewarding, I would recommend it, especially if you feel passionate about it. Be brave, take the leap, it'll be worth it.
Best of luck!
Jess - Digital Student ambassador and Student Nurse at ARU
Very good advice 🙂🙂
I think she should take the leap and go for it.

Hope you are thoroughly enjoying your nursing degree.
Reply 6

If you want to be a nurse and help people, please go for it! Things can't change - and improve - if people like yourself don't follow their dreams and enter health professions.
Hours - it's 4600 (2300 theory, 2300 practice). There may not be a wage attached (just like any standard degree), but you get the NHS learning support fund in addition to student finance - this raises funds from the minimum of £3700 to at least £8700!
The whole thing about nurses being mistreated? Yes, you'll hear horror stories. Yes, I've been in some really awful situations as a nurse myself, but I genuinely don't spend all my time in horrible scenarios with patients, their relatives, and my colleagues. More of my time is spent in decent situations and colleagues working well together. The best thing I find about nursing is the rapport you get to build with your patients and the team you work in.
Long hours? It takes a bit of time, but you'll get used to them. Just remember that it's only 3 times, occasionaly 4, a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending