The Student Room Group

Calling all Computer Technicians: HELP!!! REP AVAILABLE!!!

Does anybody know what the best way/software to access a pop, or IMAP email account from a proxy client.

The problem is, that I have set up a proxy server so that all my computers/laptops can access the broadband internet. However I cannot set up my email accounts on the clients, it will only retrieve the email on my server, which is a real pain.

Could somebody perhaps recommend software/tricks? I normally use Outlook Express version 5, however it wont retrieve my email from my proxy.

Thanks in advance.

REP WILL BE AWARDED!!!
Reply 2

Cheers. However it doesn't solve my problem. What I want to do is retreive all my email, and put in the same layout as a mail program such as Outlook, so that I can write and save emails, etc.
Reply 3
Bhaal85
Cheers. However it doesn't solve my problem. What I want to do is retreive all my email, and put in the same layout as a mail program such as Outlook, so that I can write and save emails, etc.

You've setup your network rather strangely if not all the computers can access the broadband as usual. Could you summarise what you have done? (i assume you are not using a router - this would be the easiest solution)
Reply 4
Bhaal85
Does anybody know what the best way/software to access a pop, or IMAP email account from a proxy client.

The problem is, that I have set up a proxy server so that all my computers/laptops can access the broadband internet. However I cannot set up my email accounts on the clients, it will only retrieve the email on my server, which is a real pain.

Could somebody perhaps recommend software/tricks? I normally use Outlook Express version 5, however it wont retrieve my email from my proxy.

Thanks in advance.

REP WILL BE AWARDED!!!
no sorry
Reply 5
amexblack
You've setup your network rather strangely if not all the computers can access the broadband as usual. Could you summarise what you have done? (i assume you are not using a router - this would be the easiest solution)

Well I cant use Internet Connection Sharing. So I have a network router, with four PC's going into it. They can all acccess the internet fine. My problem is that the proxy server can recieve email from the internet on Outlook express, as I have set up the account on it. However my father wants to use the connection and scrap his dial up connection, what this means is that I have to allow him to access his email without coming onto mine, as he does a lot of selling on eBay.

When I try to set the incoming SMTP and POP servers, I was told to enter the proxy address and unblock certain ports. Which I have done, but I can't recieve any email whatsoever on the computer downstairs. That is my problem.

The email servers which you can log onto online are too complicated for my father, hence why I want something similiar to Outlook, where you can view emails, that have an easy to use layout, which my father is already familiar with. I need an email program like Outllok that will allow me to access email through a proxy.

Thanks.
Reply 6
What proxy server? If you have a network router, and all the PCs on the network are using that as their gateway (type IPCONFIG /ALL and check) then they should all be able to access outside servers as usual. In the mail clients, just configure them to access SMTP/POP servers as usual.
Reply 7
amexblack
What proxy server? If you have a network router, and all the PCs on the network are using that as their gateway (type IPCONFIG /ALL and check) then they should all be able to access outside servers as usual. In the mail clients, just configure them to access SMTP/POP servers as usual.

Can't use the router properly. The modem I got is via USB and therefore the cable cant feed directly into the router (if that makes any sense), hence why I have had to run a proxy. So I have just used the router as a network hub.
Reply 8
Bhaal85
Can't use the router properly. The modem I got is via USB and therefore the cable cant feed directly into the router (if that makes any sense), hence why I have had to run a proxy. So I have just used the router as a network hub.

aaah, i see - it's a software router running on your PC.

What OS is it running? If it's running Windows XP turn on IP Forwarding in your registry ...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Set the Value "IPEnableRouter" (REG_DWORD) to 1

Then restart, and it should work - on the client computers set the servers as usual.
Reply 9
Also, have you assigned the IPs manually on all the network computers? Or is your proxy software on the router computer acting as a DHCP server? Just make sure that in the TCP/IP settings the Gateway is set to the IP of your router PC.
Reply 10
Has it worked?
Reply 11
wheres rahaydenuk when you want him...
Reply 12
Yeah, you're much better off using a simple routing system than a weird web proxy setup. Though it sounds like you might have already. Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending