The Student Room Group

Students from an asian background only take science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
it's because science subjects lead to medicine/dentistry/pharamacy, high paying jobs with status and job security, 3 things that transcends nationality and appeals to asian.

then again i'm taking english lit french history and maths at a level so this is a sweeping generalisation
Reply 21
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
My aunties an Afghan and is now a doctor.............of philosophy.

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

What if OP doesn't smoke? :holmes:
Not sure if I fall into this catergory but whatever. I want to study Economics eventually but I'm also taking Chemistry and Physics in addition to Maths (with considerable parent input). I don't find Science easy or particularly extraordinarily wonderful as such, but I think if left to my own devices I would probably pick these subjects regardless..
You are stupid.
Reply 24

LOL!

This shall be my next slogan if I got pissed off with some random TSR users or some of my annoying mates.
My aunties an Afghan and is now a doctor.............of philosophy.

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) could be in a variety of subjects including Sciences, not exclusively Philosophy...
Reply 26
Original post by hardworkpaysoff
I know of lots of Asian students and other people from different country's who seem to favor sciences. I was speaking to a boy in my year who I've known for about 2 years and he was criticizing me for taking English literature. He's taking physics, chemistry, biology and maths and isn't even that smart. He seems to have been brain washed by this ideology that he needs to be a dentist or doctor to be successful in life. However when i asked him how he felt about his a levels he said " i don't like them "
Why is he taking these a levels if he doesn't like them, the education system has been infested with a bunch of people who don't care about getting a ' proper ' education and are just there for the exams. Fair enough we should all practice for exams but there used to be a time when students were exited about their eduction because they knew it would lead them to a career which they've always desired to do. Not take a bunch of hard a levels because it will lead them into a profession which most probably they don't even want to do, but their parents want them to do. Even my tutor hinted at students thinking they know everything but they don't.

This always has convinced me that my GPs are exactly the same, i go there at least every month for the same problem which is effecting they way i live but because they think its cosmetic they don't care even though I've done lots of research to suggest that something is causing the problem. They lack any passion to find out whats wrong with me, why did they choose that job in the first place. Was it because their parents made them or so they can stick that doctors degree on their ass

I think I know you and the guy that takes science for the sake of it. A friend of mine who is similar to you took English lit, History and Economics for A-Level he was being criticised by somebody else another Asian who took 3 sciences and maths, I asked him about his A-Levels and he said he doesn't like them so why take them. Whereas the person taking English lit, History and Economics thoroughly enjoys what he is doing.
Original post by Member737,514
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) could be in a variety of subjects including Sciences, not exclusively Philosophy...

The OP is talking abut Asians only taking scientific subjects, I was evidently disproving his generalisation which I thought would make it bluntly clear that I was actually talking about the subject Philosophy. Or I wouldn't have bothered commenting and is the reason why I didn't right PhD out.

But thank you :smile:
Original post by Tahooper
What if OP doesn't smoke? :holmes:

He should make an exception in this case

:holmes:
The OP is talking abut Asians only taking scientific subjects, I was evidently disproving his generalisation which I thought would make it bluntly clear that I was actually talking about the subject Philosophy. Or I wouldn't have bothered commenting and is the reason why I didn't right PhD out.

But thank you :smile:

Of course...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by godknows
I am an asian and doing bology, chemistry and maths at a levels but my parents never pushed me into it.. they gave me a total freedom to make my own choices ... I have just ALWAYS liked sciences and maths. I want to do pharmacy at university and to be honest it is not a very respected career in asian countries however my parents have no problem with it ...

I hate when some people can't take their own decisions and when their parents just *advise* them they follow it and when it doesn't work out they go around telling everyone its because they have asian parents they had to do it.. actually they were just too scared that they will make a wrong decision so decided to just listen to their parents so they have someone to blaim at the end of the day =_=

Not saying that every asian doing the subjects they dislike are like that... but trust me a MAJORITY of them are.

I second that to every detail, but In fact my mum wanted me to take Eng lit instead of History because It was my only A* at GCSE(Plus I did not do History GCSE), the irony.
Utter *******s, one of my friends from college is a Muslim and she took English Literature.

Contrary to popular belief, most students study what they want to, it could be said that Asian students are actually better informed as they're less likely to study garbage like Media Studies.
Reply 32
Original post by amirlad
it's because science subjects lead to medicine/dentistry/pharamacy, high paying jobs with status and job security, 3 things that transcends nationality and appeals to asian.

then again i'm taking english lit french history and maths at a level so this is a sweeping generalisation

who says Pharmacy was a high paying job? It is not and is in fact underestimated most of the time!
Reply 33
Maybe? But you can't make generalisations like that. I mean the only reason I took science subjects for A levels is because I love science. Not because of my parents.
For someone studying English Literature, the OP is written rather diabolically
The education system is about getting a job. That is ,unfortunately, the sad fact and the people who realize this are the one's that do well in life.

Think about it, let's say your Asian friend went on to do Medicine/sciences/engineering and you did a degree in English; lets be blunt he's going to be earning the money.
Reply 36
way to overgeneralize all Asians.

I'm Chinese and I'm applying to study modern languages at uni.

I'm doing IB, and my IB HL subjects are English literature, history and chemistry (our school forces us to take one HL science; otherwise I would've taken HL French for sure!)
Reply 37
I'm asian studying English Literature, theatre studies, history & classical civilisation. my parents didn't force me into taking the sciences at alll, although they did push for a bit since I got 4 A's in it but meh, i don't like science.

saying that, the rest of my asian friends all do maths & science LOL. one of my friends parents are so pushy about him doing dentistry and going to kings its unreal. My parents aren't like that at all - my mum said i can do which a-levels I want, provided I do well in them and pass. However, my sister CHOSE to do the sciences and is now a dentist. My brother dropped out of school & my other sister is a lawyer. You're generalising but I can see there is sufficient evidence to prove it true and not true.
to an extent this is true, i do 3sci+math and disproportionate no. of asains in my classes. but i think this is bcos they like it, not bcos they are forced. tho this 1 girl is terrible at chem/phys but wont drop it :/

queue negs
Reply 39
I'm Asian, one of my sister's chose to do Pharmacy, and my other sister studied Applied Music, and is now looking to become a lecturer.

I am applying to study Accounting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending