The Student Room Group

How to find a room safely

My name is Avgusta, and I am a female, 28-yo, asian background russian student,
I am looking for a room or a studio for this winter semester only.
I am going to start my master's from this september until the end of december' 23. I will study urban environmental planning, Im also interested in architecture, ur design, urban policies etc. I
I like going out to walks, enjoy active lifestyle, but also need to recharge myself by being alone. Im a HP fan, indie music lover, love learning new languages (Japanese, french).
Original post by Avgusta
I am going to start my master's from this september until the end of december' 23. I will study urban environmental planning, Im also interested in architecture, ur design, urban policies etc. I
I like going out to walks, enjoy active lifestyle, but also need to recharge myself by being alone. Im a HP fan, indie music lover, love learning new languages (Japanese, french).

There are several sources that you can look into:

Accommodation provided by your university (usually the best choice if you're unfamiliar with the local area)#

Accommodation advertised by your university (usually vetted, but it's difficult to find anything short term)

Spareroom.com (https://www.spareroom.co.uk/), which is my go to for any short term accommodation. The problem is, it's somewhat difficult to vet the landlords and roommates if you are not familiar with the local laws, and not all of them go by the book.

Depending on your area, possibly look into short term social housing (which houses anyone from any background, but you can't guarantee the quality of the tenants)

If you are going to look for accommodation through a lettings agency, the minimum term is usually 6 months as opposed to 3 months (what you are looking for). The more common tenancies tend to last for 12 months.
Original post by Avgusta

Hi @Avgusta,

As an international student from Belarus, I do understand how you feel now.
The safest way to find accommodation is through university as they usually care about the service provided to their students. Also they tend to help in case something is wrong.
I advice you to go on your uni's website and use a search bar. Type "accommodation" there and see what they have to offer!

Good luck to you :smile: (Удачи!)

- Ilya :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending