The Student Room Group

Students from an asian background only take science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I'm Asian and look what I'm studying :colonhash:

Plus, most people in my family are **** at science. So there. :ninja:
Reply 41
The OP kind of has a point, I am asian and wanted to be an accountant in year 11 but since doing work experience I decided I want to become a doctor, from which I realised the amount of asians in my school wishing to do med/dent just because there parents want them to (1 kid is applying for med even when he finds bio extremely boring and uninteresiting) and this pisses me off because the asians that really want to do med/dent because they love it get looked as parent puppets.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
I took triple science at GCSE, take all three sciences now. I really enjoy sciencey subjects, and I've also taken politics too. I have a desire to become a doctor, not because my parents have forced me into it, but because I have had experiences that have made me want to do so. They know I am happy choosing that as my career choice, and so they are supporting me, which many people mistake as "force". In fact, my dad wanted me to become a politician...what a massive fail whale on his plans!
Reply 43
Original post by dnumberwang
For someone studying English Literature, the OP is written rather diabolically

You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

I shall rep this later on :holmes:
Reply 44
Unfortunetly my situation was the same. When i started A levels i chose business, maths, accounting and law. When i came home and told my parents they were in shock and told me to go back that same day and change them. From GCSE to A level it was bombarded into me, DOCTOR!, DOCTOR! DOCTOR!. What was the argument to back up? MONEY AND RESPECT.

My counterargument was 1. I dont wanna be a doctor 2. The money is 40% taxed 3. IT takes AGES! 4. I wont be any good at the subjects. Anyways i carried on to not make them upset and what happened. I got 2 Cs and a D. Thats when i thought to myself, i aint following anybody now, it's my life and i will live it how i please. I chose to do pharmacy becuase i am interested and would like to open my own pharmacy.

In Summary, do what you want to do because at the end of the day its your life and you have to live it. DOnt let others tell you what to do
Reply 45
How old are you?

Clearly you haven't been to university if you think that.
I'm Asian but I took German...
OP you got flamed for it but there's truth in it. However I'd add business studies/economics etc to the sciences.

I met one British Asian person on my uni history course.
I did A Levels that I enjoy and I am good at. Not ones that I "needed".
I refer you to my sig :bhangra:
I think it makes a bit of sense that Asian people (or people who don't identify so much western culture) study sciences at university rather than arts. The reason for this is that science is the same everywhere, whereas the arts and the way we appreciate them vary a lot from culture to culture. For example, it would be odd for someone of a completely different culture to study Music at university in the UK, because the music he's used to is different to the music people are used to around here. And the same applies vice-versa. A western person could have a PhD in History, but if they turned up in a Chinese school and tried to take a history exam, they'd probably find it very difficult and unfamiliar. But with something like Maths, for example - it doesn't matter where you are, Maths is Maths.
Reply 51
If I see an Asian person on the street. I'd ask him "How's the medical training going?"

9 times out of 10 I'll hear back "Very well thank you.. how did you know?"
Reply 52
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
He should make an exception in this case

:holmes:

What if OP doesn't have a pipe? :teehee:
Original post by Tahooper
What if OP doesn't have a pipe? :teehee:

:eek:

But everyone has a pipe.
Reply 54
Original post by tehforum
Might need to touch up on your English skills then.

why ? :confused:, apart from the odd abbreviation and not using a capital "I" I don't see anything wrong with what I said !!
Reply 55
Original post by rohitbd
The OP kind of has a point, I am asian and wanted to be an accountant in year 11 but since doing work experience I decided I want to become a doctor, from which I realised the amount of asians in my school wishing to do med/dent just because there parents want them to (1 kid is applying for med even when he finds bio extremely boring and uninteresiting) and this pisses me off because the asians that really want to do med/dent because they love it get looked as parent puppets.

I agree! I think people should only apply for medicine and any other degree for that matter if they are passionate about it, and they should obviously have a natural abilty to analyse things logically. I think that's what makes a good doctor. I mean when people learn that I want to do medicine, they automatically assume that it's due to pressure from my parents. Which I think is very unfair to be honest. I feel like people may doubt my passion and enthusiasm and mistake it for me just being a 'parent puppy'. :frown:
Reply 56
Original post by Martik
If I see an Asian person on the street. I'd ask him "How's the medical training going?"

9 times out of 10 I'll hear back "Very well thank you.. how did you know?"

Really? You're joking right? :tongue:
Reply 57
Original post by KimKallstrom
OP you got flamed for it but there's truth in it. However I'd add business studies/economics etc to the sciences.

I met one British Asian person on my uni history course.

So what subjects do you think is 'typical' (as some may define it) for an asian to take?
I'm not Asian and I didn't take science.

Huzzah!
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
I'm not Asian and I didn't take science.

ok

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending