The Student Room Group

A bit of an odd and obvious question about lectures...

Hi, I know this might sound really stupid but i was really just wondering one thing. Are you allowed to sit into lectures that aren't part of the modules you're taking? I love physics but my maths isn't good enough for me to do it as a degree but am i allowed to go in to the lectures (obviously not labs) and listen in if i get into uni for philosophy?
:confused:
it's a bit weird i know but i'd appriciate if someone could just let me know :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Shouldn't be a problem as long as your not taking up a seat in a lecture room thats full, which is pretty unlikely.
Reply 2
Came up a while back - basically yeah but apparently cambridge has installed swipecard barriers that punch you in the balls if you try get into the biology building without authorisation, so mind how you go as this trend could spread.
But some lectures take attendance right? what actually happens when they find you in there when you're not part of that class? or is that for keeping people attending lectures...
Reply 4
It's for issuing warnings/sanctions against people who don't attend.
It'll vary by institution but we've got a barcode system and a paper system. The barcode scanners accept anything afaict (and I've tried) so if you wanted to conceal your identity you could just scan a ginsters wrapper. Paper system you'd sign yourself in as lord lucan or something.
Reply 5
Well you can attend till the day you're caught. They wont exactly expel you for extra studying :tongue:
Ahaha I love this it's cute!
People often come in mine then realise they're in the wrong room after 15 mins. However our course leader knows us all so would most likely notice. If I'm honest I'd just go and see the lecturer for the module you are interested in and go talk to them about it, I'm sure they'd be happy enough and not mind. I think if it was like every module/lecture for the whole course they might not like it though, but I imagine the odd module would be ok.
Reply 8
I would go talk to whoever is doing the module tbh they might let you anyway and then you wouldn't have to worry about getting caught! Also, to the person who said that it's unlikely the lecture theatre would be full, in my lectures we have people sitting on the steps and on the floor!
Original post by Joinedup
apparently cambridge has installed swipecard barriers that punch you in the balls if you try get into the biology building without authorisation, so mind how you go as this trend could spread.
Bio labs in unis always have a bit of extra security. I've been told it's to do with animal rights protestors, but tbh there are various reasons I could see why you wouldn't want a bunch of randoms wandering round your biology labs. I don't think philosophy lectures are going to be getting swipecard access any time soon.

Original post by abc:)
Also, to the person who said that it's unlikely the lecture theatre would be full, in my lectures we have people sitting on the steps and on the floor!
Yeah, that initial enthusiasm's not going to last until the end of term.
Probably depends what course you want to sit on in though. I know a lot of my lectures are full of a few hundred people so they don't want any people not doing the course in. They are also registered to meet the requirements of the NMC to prove how many theory hours have been done.
Reply 11
You shouldn't have any issues. Especially in first year lectures as it's the whole year doing the same topics the biggest theatres are used. So you walk in and take a seat and no-one else will be none the wiser.

However in some second year and all third year lectures when people have chosen modules and the lecture theatres used are chosen accordingly to people numbers, you'll find it a lot more difficult. For one of my law modules the lecture theatre is quite literally 95% full!
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
Probably depends what course you want to sit on in though. I know a lot of my lectures are full of a few hundred people so they don't want any people not doing the course in. They are also registered to meet the requirements of the NMC to prove how many theory hours have been done.

well, i was thinking of just dipping in once in a while for physics lectures. not every single lecture of a specific module.

Original post by Joinedup
Came up a while back - basically yeah but apparently cambridge has installed swipecard barriers that punch you in the balls if you try get into the biology building without authorisation, so mind how you go as this trend could spread.

it's okay, i don't actually have balls for it to punch me in. :wink:

thanks for all the responses everyone, seems like it depends on the uni, but if i get into uni i'll probably do what i can to get in anyway :biggrin:
The lecturers know who's on my course, so it's unlikely anybody could get into our room without being spotted. However for some lectures with over 100 people on them, they wouldn't be able to tell who was meant to be there or not unless they have swipe card entry to lecture halls.
Reply 14
Email the lecturer and ask?
Original post by cberry
Email the lecturer and ask?

haha i'm not in uni yet! going to apply for 2012 entry so we'll see if i get any offers first. just wanted to know if i could potentially do this if i do get in!
Original post by jacksonriddle
Hi, I know this might sound really stupid but i was really just wondering one thing. Are you allowed to sit into lectures that aren't part of the modules you're taking? I love physics but my maths isn't good enough for me to do it as a degree but am i allowed to go in to the lectures (obviously not labs) and listen in if i get into uni for philosophy?
:confused:
it's a bit weird i know but i'd appriciate if someone could just let me know :smile:

Have you asked the person taking the lectures? Just ask and they will probably say whether it's fine or not.
Reply 17
You should be fine, especially if its a lecture for a large number of people. If its a smaller group, then the lecturer may be able to notice that you don't normally go to the lectures. Some people did that in a couple of my lectures last year as they were visiting friends at my uni, and they were fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Depends on how big the lecture halls is. Most of mine have hundreds of people so you could easily get away with it, in the same way you can easily get away with not being there.
Reply 19
Just go and ask who ever is taking the lecture, unless you're preventing someone else from a seat who should be there for their course I doubt there will be a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending