The Student Room Group

Masters Pass at Oxbridge any chance of applying for PHD

I did poorly at oxford with a pass. can i ever apply again for phd?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crunchomunch1
I did poorly at oxford with a pass. can i ever apply again for phd?

For Oxford and other high ranking institutions, no I can't see that being likely, particularly not with funding. For a significantly less competitive university, maybe but you won't know unless you try.
Reply 2
Is there a reason why you think this? I've heard they make exceptions and everythign else in my application is strong.
Reply 3
Because most people applying to Oxon have a first at UG and a distinction at Masters, and they can afford to be choosy. In terms of funding, they are risk-averse and whilst they can fund people who have done comparatively poorly, they usually do not.
Reply 4
I'm not even asking in terms of funding. I'm perfectly happy to self fund. My supervisor will write me a great rec. Basically i was on track for a merit and something in my dissertation went awry. My supervisor said it was merit level or distinction.
Reply 5
I'm not even asking in terms of funding. I'm perfectly happy to self fund. My supervisor will write me a great rec. Basically i was on track for a merit and something in my dissertation went awry. My supervisor said it was merit level or distinction.

Self-funded carries a bit of stigma in STEM circles but less so in humanities, something to be aware of.

A good reference will help but really the fact that your dissertation should've been this or that is really neither here nor there, because from what you've initially said, it wasn't. I don't mean to sound harsh. You can always apply and see what shakes out. You're right that there are outlying exceptions.

But in any case, there are other places to do PhDs, it doesn't have to be a DPhil at Oxon.
Reply 6
well one thing I find confusing is that if my degree is finished do I still have to meet the requireemnts outlined in a conditional offer even if they wouldn't give me one if I were accepted?
Reply 7
well one thing I find confusing is that if my degree is finished do I still have to meet the requireemnts outlined in a conditional offer even if they wouldn't give me one if I were accepted?

I don't know what you mean.
Reply 8
They have minimum academic entry requirements on their website but I hear some people don't make them and still make it in. How si that possible?
Reply 9
They have minimum academic entry requirements on their website but I hear some people don't make them and still make it in. How si that possible?

You 'hear' from whom?

it depends what they're doing and what their background is. Academic attainment might matter less if they have a ton of workplace experience, for example.
From some of the students and faculty at oxford.
Reply 11
From some of the students and faculty at oxford.

If you are this well acquainted with faculty, you should ask them.
Reply 12
I mean that, btw. It is a bit odd that you're on here asking instead of asking people you know in the College/faculty to guide you.
They are horribly vague. I hear different things from different people.
Reply 14
They are horribly vague. I hear different things from different people.

Hmm I can see how they would be, to be fair. Again, I don't want to sound harsh, but their vagueness might suggest something.
Well what I saw here on assessment for admissions was this:
have minimum academic entry requirements been reached? pre sift decision?
What does this mean?
That it's an automatic rejection if you don't meet them?
It decision to reject to be confirmed by second assessor but it lists further points?
Reply 17

Why are you not discussing this with your supervisor.You seem to have a good relationship with them so they are the obvious choice.
I did he said he would do what he can. hence vague.
Is there a reason why you think this? I've heard they make exceptions and everythign else in my application is strong.

As others have said, partly the level of competition and partly the reputational risk for the supervisor. If the odd undergrad fails your course it's no big deal for the lecturer, if your PhD student fails that's both much more visible and potentially damages your chance of winning (very limited) future funding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending