The Student Room Group

First day of Uni

I'll be starting University in March. It'll be a foundation course in IT for a year. I'm really nervous because I haven't been to a real school since Covid started. Any words of advice on how to bring my A-game?
March is an odd time of year to be starting? Which university are you going to? Every university is different and if you’re starting in March your experience will be very different to most students.
I live in Uganda which would explain the time difference. I'll be going to Victoria University in Kampala
Original post by OldestKnowsBest
I'll be starting University in March. It'll be a foundation course in IT for a year. I'm really nervous because I haven't been to a real school since Covid started. Any words of advice on how to bring my A-game?

Hi!
Congratulations! Starting university can feel stressful, but it is not actually as challenging as people sometimes make it out to be.
I suppose a few tips from my personal experience of starting uni would be:
1.Look over the modules you would be studying. Since you are doing a foundation course, it is unlikely that they expect you to come in with prior in-depth knowledge, but it is worth checking what you will be studying and if there is any reading you can do for it to make yourself feel prepared and confident.
2.Check your emails/communications from the university, to make sure you don't miss any important information.
3.Check out extra-curricular experiences/ other opportunities that the university might offer. Is there a society or a project you would like to join? Many universities start rather slowly during the first week, which gives you a great opportunity to find new interests and friends while not being burdened by too much work.
4.Know your schedule once you get it (obvious, but it helps).
5.Don't be afraid to ask questions to other students, staff and lecturers.
6.Enjoy it and make the most of it. Put in the effort and reach out for help if you ever fall behind. Get involved into anything that interests you and take the opportunities that come your way!

Best of luck, I'm sure you will settle in just fine! :smile:
Remember that there will be other people in a similar position to you, and everyone is likely to be new and nervous.

Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.
Thank you! I'll keep all this in mind.
Reply 5

i started uni this year, and honestly compared to school uni is so much more easier to make friends, since people are more matured and wayyy nicer, i havent met a rude person yet and i can speak to people knowing they wont judge me. To bring the best about yourself, i'd just say try and speak to as many people as possible at the start : ) take care
Thanks a lot. The foundation course is only for a year so I'm sure time will go by fast Really thrilled about all of this!
Reply 7
Thanks a lot. The foundation course is only for a year so I'm sure time will go by fast Really thrilled about all of this!

you should be, Uni is really fun compared to school, I'm having a great chill time even tho I'm an introvert!
Lol. I haven't been to an actual school in 3 years. I've been homeschooling myself since covid started. I'm technically a shut in now
Original post by BigMuma
you should be, Uni is really fun compared to school, I'm having a great chill time even tho I'm an introvert!

I agree! University is much more independent compared to school, you generally have fewer lectures (depending on the course) compared to lessons in the school day and living with people your age allows you to make friends and do things together you enjoy. You can join societies for things you enjoy and meet people with similar interests. You can also do your coursework at your own pace as you are often given a deadline several weeks in advance. University can be a really exciting time as your independence can grow.

Lucy (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
I don't think there will be sororities in the Uni I'm going to but, yeah, I'm definitely excited to start this journey in my life. Meet new people, experience new things and gain some independence. One thing I really want is to be a top student, you know? Back at my old schools I was generally liked by my teachers and classmates but I was never really THAT kid, you know. I was more like one of the side characters. lol. I really want to change that this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending