The Student Room Group

OCR A Chemistry F322 Chains, Energy and Resources Thu 19 Jan 2012

Didn’t see any threads on this exam so thought I’ll make one :biggrin: any revision tips or just general thoughts on the exam please post. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Need to make sure you can apply your theory to a range of different examples... :smile:
Thanks for the date, I was trying to look it up but the timetable is down :smile:

I'm resitting this after getting a C in June, gutted. Really want to get a high A in this paper so started revising today.
How's revision so far? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LifeIsGood
How's revision so far? :smile:

Haven’t even started yet! :frown:

what about you?
Original post by kickasskaz01
Haven’t even started yet! :frown:

what about you?

I've done Energy chapter and went over the Resources HSW questions as well as the equations that keep popping up, it's quite easy to revise with the cgp guide. I need to study Alkanes - Fractional Distillation & Alkenes, other than that I'm pretty much done and need to brush up my exam technique.
Reply 6
I got an e in this paper and need it up to a c/b! haha bring on the studying, how is everyone finding A2?
Original post by dramadumbo
I got an e in this paper and need it up to a c/b! haha bring on the studying, how is everyone finding A2?

A2 is pretty tough, I'm on the NMR and waiting on my teacher to go through it. Module 1 is really easy, Module 2 is eh. It's quite boring chapter except chirality and need to master Module 3. Overall the unit isn't too difficult, should be ok :smile:

I got a C in this paper, make sure you go through exam papers available and use the CGP to follow along with your specification. Hopefully January paper will be nicer, I hated the June paper :frown:
Reply 8
A2 is pretty tough, I'm on the NMR and waiting on my teacher to go through it. Module 1 is really easy, Module 2 is eh. It's quite boring chapter except chirality and need to master Module 3. Overall the unit isn't too difficult, should be ok :smile:

I got a C in this paper, make sure you go through exam papers available and use the CGP to follow along with your specification. Hopefully January paper will be nicer, I hated the June paper :frown:

I find NMR alright, doing questions now on amines and esters which i don't like as much haha! Weirdly, i'm actually alright at chemistry but had a panick attack in my exam... smooth :/ I wasn't a massive fan of that paper, but thinking back it really wasn't that bad plus A2 chem helps with AS just need to start revision now! are you applying for anything chemistry related for uni? I've never used CGP, will give it a go, thanks! :smile:
Original post by dramadumbo
I find NMR alright, doing questions now on amines and esters which i don't like as much haha! Weirdly, i'm actually alright at chemistry but had a panick attack in my exam... smooth :/ I wasn't a massive fan of that paper, but thinking back it really wasn't that bad plus A2 chem helps with AS just need to start revision now! are you applying for anything chemistry related for uni? I've never used CGP, will give it a go, thanks! :smile:

I like Amines! Can you explain NMR Spectroscopy so it's something a student would understand cuz I get so confused on how to analyse the spectrum. I understand the features - the number of peaks, chemical shifts etc. it's putting the information together which I struggle with and need a lot of help. I'll try to post a question when I get back, if possible will you be able to help me? I'm doing Biomedical Science (hopefully). Trust me, once you look at Unit 2 - you'll wonder why you found it hard, the papers seem so basic!
Reply 10
I like Amines! Can you explain NMR Spectroscopy so it's something a student would understand cuz I get so confused on how to analyse the spectrum. I understand the features - the number of peaks, chemical shifts etc. it's putting the information together which I struggle with and need a lot of help. I'll try to post a question when I get back, if possible will you be able to help me? I'm doing Biomedical Science (hopefully). Trust me, once you look at Unit 2 - you'll wonder why you found it hard, the papers seem so basic!

haha i surely can try... well if you have a question just ask :P luckily my chemistry teacher is an examiner so she drills it into us haha! Combined technique questions can sometimes be a massive bitch... I applied for biology/biotechnology and got my first offer today! From nottingham which was a very generous BBC! haha i know! I feel like a massive muppet when i look through AS!
Reply 11
Ah I got a D in this paper, need a B :frown:

And I fell flat on the Last question combining the empirical formula with the Mass spec and spectroscopy :frown:

Good Luck to everyone :smile:
The only thing that really trips me up in this paper is the Resources HSW questions, otherwise it's mainly content based and quite straight forward. They had a lot of HSW long questions in the June 2011 paper. I hope they have a long Energy question on Boltzmann instead of infrared spectroscopy - hate that topic!
Ah I got a D in this paper, need a B

And I fell flat on the Last question combining the empirical formula with the Mass spec and spectroscopy

Good Luck to everyone

I got a C in the paper, and fell on that question too, ended up with something along the lines of methyl ethanoate o_o
Love love loooooved the 10 mark mechanism question though, hopefully another one like that will turn up again!
:biggrin:
Original post by nurselobster
I got a C in the paper, and fell on that question too, ended up with something along the lines of methyl ethanoate o_o
Love love loooooved the 10 mark mechanism question though, hopefully another one like that will turn up again!
:biggrin:

I scraped a C :frown:
I scraped a C :frown:

I wasn't far from the boudary to be honest, but my coursework bumped my overall grades up to a B
Need to resit the big exam to get an a at the end of A2 though if I want a chance of doing an MChem course. :/
I wasn't far from the boudary to be honest, but my coursework bumped my overall grades up to a B
Need to resit the big exam to get an a at the end of A2 though if I want a chance of doing an MChem course. :/

My ISA grade was an E (oops) haha. It was terrible because I was hoping for my exams to boost me up to a B but that didn't work out, guess I learnt my lesson to take the practicals seriously as exams don't also turn out very nice :/
My ISA grade was an E (oops) haha. It was terrible because I was hoping for my exams to boost me up to a B but that didn't work out, guess I learnt my lesson to take the practicals seriously as exams don't also turn out very nice :/

I find exams easier than coursework, but the coursework is about 15% of the overall grade so I figured that I couldn't afford not to get really high marks in it. I'm just glad that we weren't timed for the practicals, stress is not the word for how bad our science department's quality of resources are like!
I find exams easier than coursework, but the coursework is about 15% of the overall grade so I figured that I couldn't afford not to get really high marks in it. I'm just glad that we weren't timed for the practicals, stress is not the word for how bad our science department's quality of resources are like!

The ISAs are 20% which is quite a bit, it can make or break your grade really. How did you do so well in the ISAs? I need help in them :frown:
The ISAs are 20% which is quite a bit, it can make or break your grade really. How did you do so well in the ISAs? I need help in them :frown:

There we are then, that's a difference of 2 grades then really. And I had about 56/60? I wasn't far off full marks. A lot of the ISA's is stuff like observations to experiments and what that means. I'd be happy to help if you want to ask questions or anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending