The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Private Glasgow halls - Collegelands/Blackfriars

Hi,

I'm hoping to go to Strathclyde next year, but I won't be able to get into Strath halls as I live within their 25 mile boundary, so I'm looking at private halls as an option.

I know that Blackfriars is the most popular with Strathclyde students, I've been in it as I've friends stay there and it's ok, but expensive for what you get and I've heard terrible things about Unite! Could anyone who lives in Blackfriars give me a quick run down of your opinion of the place please?

I've also been having a look at the new Collegelands, which is near Blackfriars, similar in price and looks much nicer! It's quite hard to get actual photos rather than just computer generated images, could anyone that's staying there give me some info on what it's like to live there, and maybe some pictures if possible? I'm from Glasgow, so I know that area is THE nicest part of town, but when I spoke to my mum about Collegelands she said she wouldn't fancy walking home to there at night, if you stay in Collegelands, do you feel ok walking home after a night out etc?

Thanks a lot!

Rhona =)
Reply 1
Hey!

I'm at Strathclyde and I'm currently living in Blackfriars (for the same reasons as you). I've found it a really great place to live and I'm really enjoying it! I'd recommend going for a balcony flat if you can because the rooms/flat in general is much bigger and you get a dishwasher :smile: . The other flats are all pretty nice too and everyone's pretty friendly , apart from the odd fire alarm (which happens in pretty much every student halls) its pretty peaceful.

I've found Unite realy helpful, somone (our flatmate) kicked in our front door and it was busted pretty bad , but Unite had it fixed that day.

I have a couple of friends that live in college lands and its definetly the prettier of the two, and both of my friends say they really lke where they live, its having alot of construction and moving work going on in it ,but in fairness it has just opened. I can see where your mum is abit nervous about walking back , seeing as its just a big long path with not much around it but I've not heard ot any problems.

It think it just comes down to your personal tastes , but I do really like Blackfriars.

Hope this was helpful!! :smile:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by mopsymoo
Hey!

I'm at Strathclyde and I'm currently living in Blackfriars (for the same reasons as you). I've found it a really great place to live and I'm really enjoying it! I'd recommend going for a balcony flat if you can because the rooms/flat in general is much bigger and you get a dishwasher :smile: . The other flats are all pretty nice too and everyone's pretty friendly , apart from the odd fire alarm (which happens in pretty much every student halls) its pretty peaceful.

I've found Unite realy helpful, somone (our flatmate) kicked in our front door and it was busted pretty bad , but Unite had it fixed that day.

I have a couple of friends that live in college lands and its definetly the prettier of the two, and both of my friends say they really lke where they live, its having alot of construction and moving work going on in it ,but in fairness it has just opened. I can see where your mum is abit nervous about walking back , seeing as its just a big long path with not much around it but I've not heard ot any problems.

It think it just comes down to your personal tastes , but I do really like Blackfriars.

Hope this was helpful!! :smile:

Thanks so much for getting back to me! How is it that you get the balcony flat? A dishwasher sounds amazing haha! I know that a lot of Strathclyde students live in Blackfriars, would you say there's still a lot in Collegelands? I'd quite like to be around Strath students if poss. Thanks again =)
Reply 3
I just asked them if they had any balcony flats available and they said they did and if I wanted they'd put me in one. It was as easy as that!

And yes the dishwasher is so so so good , though our kitchen's still a mess!

And yep Collegelands has lots of Strathcylde students , out of the 5 people I know there 3 go to Strathclyde , and whenever I walk past in the morning there's always tons of people walking out of Collegelands and over to Strathclyde :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks, if I go to Blackfriars I'll definitely be asking! =) Do you know what the bedrooms are like in Collegelands? I've actually been in Blackfriars for myself visiting friends, but it's hard to even get photos of Collegelands on the internet!

Thank you for your help =)
Reply 5
I've been in a mock up of Collegelands bedroom and its pretty much the same size of Blackfriars , but in fairness it has more storage space and is maybe just a wee bit nicer. You get to pick out of 3 colours what you want and its all quite pretty.

I've not seen an actual collegelands bedrooms I've just been in the living rooms but my friends photos make the rooms look pretty!

Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Asking in 2013, is Collegeland still ok?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending