The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Hull accomodation help needed!

Hey, I'm thinking of applying to hull as my first choice for uni and I was wondering what the internet is like in the student accommodation.

-Is it fast?
-Can I do online gaming on it (FPS/MMORPG)?
-Are there any blocked websites?

Scroll to see replies

Yikes, that doesn't sound too promising :s-smilie:
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Hey, I'm thinking of applying to hull as my first choice for uni and I was wondering what the internet is like in the student accommodation.

-Is it fast?
-Can I do online gaming on it (FPS/MMORPG)?
-Are there any blocked websites?

If I were you, I would think about other aspects of the university instead of the internet speed.
See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1833509
Original post by mike_mike
If I were you, I would think about other aspects of the university instead of the internet speed.
See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1833509

I know, I've done lots of research into all the other aspects of the university. I was just looking into the smaller details :smile:
Computer Science
Reply 5
Had no problems what so ever when I lived in the lawns in my first year.
Perfectly quick enough for me to do what i wanted to - watch films online, iplayer, general browsing etc.
Reply 6
Original post by Darkphilosopher
Computer Science

This explains everyting (nr. your interest in the internet speed):smile:

Good luck!
Original post by mike_mike
This explains everyting (nr. your interest in the internet speed):smile:

Good luck!

hehe, thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Ah, KC Internet :colone: I never went to Hull, but I used to live near there. It's a ****ing horrible internet provider, with really slow speeds and frequent problems. And worse, considering that they have a monopoly (which is the same reason why our telephone boxes are white) you can't opt-out and get service from another network instead.

It might not be so bad given that it's a university connection, but in the surrounding area, it's basically a byword for things that are rubbish :tongue:
Original post by kerily
Ah, KC Internet :colone: I never went to Hull, but I used to live near there. It's a ****ing horrible internet provider, with really slow speeds and frequent problems. And worse, considering that they have a monopoly (which is the same reason why our telephone boxes are white) you can't opt-out and get service from another network instead.

It might not be so bad given that it's a university connection, but in the surrounding area, it's basically a byword for things that are rubbish :tongue:

Hopefully it's gotten better since! :s-smilie:
Reply 10
The internet is awful! I was at the lawns and at times when a lot of people were on if it went any slower it would stop, though if you went on at other times it would be perfectly fine. Also it's not wireless in uni accommodation which is a pain.
Reply 11
I'm in a house. The internet is good enough for online gaming, these are the games I've played on PC since I've been here -CSS, Dead Island, L4D2 and Xbox Live works perfectly fine as does my housemates PSN. Most student houses have WiFi, but I know that in the university owned houses and halls, there's a wired connection. You can't torrent if you're in a student house but that's really the only website that's blocked as far as I know.
Thanks for the replies everybody :smile: (I just hope I get an offer now :s-smilie:)
Reply 13
I'm in Thwaite Hall, and the situation is pretty similiar - no torrents. I'm able to play all my pc games online (although I did have a ping just under 2000 for one server), and steam gets a 1.1mb/s download speed - the download speed is limited by Hull Uni I think.
My friends are able to play their Ps3s and 360s online as well, without too many issues.

The internet can get a bit painful in the afternoon when everyone gets back from lectures, but it isn't too bad.
Reply 14
Original post by SpySapper
I'm in Thwaite Hall, and the situation is pretty similiar - no torrents. I'm able to play all my pc games online (although I did have a ping just under 2000 for one server), and steam gets a 1.1mb/s download speed - the download speed is limited by Hull Uni I think.
My friends are able to play their Ps3s and 360s online as well, without too many issues.

The internet can get a bit painful in the afternoon when everyone gets back from lectures, but it isn't too bad.

Serves you right for being in halls and not a house :wink:

OP i've got a subway round the corner :colone:
I'm at the Lawns and the internet is fine, not quite as fast as london but for browsing, streaming and gaming you won't have any problems :smile:
Reply 16
The internet switches between decent (~8Mb/s) and awful (<80Kb/s) depending what time you use it.

I don't usually have much problem with online gaming, BF3, LFD2, CoD4, CS etc all run with good pings.
what about now? is it better or worse?

Quick Reply

Latest