The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

How Is the Education in Cass Business School?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ecomicat
Management.

And I agree with you about CASS vs the other universities listed about.

IFRM may be okay then. I can only speak for what I know

I would suggest you switch to IFRM (if it's not too late) since you want a more demanding course.

Original post by pk25
Why there is so much negativity about CASS on Student room? This makes my brother anxious. He wants to firm Cass as he wants to live near to home. But after reading so much negative about Cass, he is confused between Surrey and Cass.

Why would you support Cass over Surrey?

I was also in a similar position last year but I'm happy with my decision to study at Cass. I don't know much about Surrey, but if your brother is serious about getting into finance then Cass would be the way to go. Cass has a pretty good reputation within finance, its located in the City and you can make great connections while studying a practical finance-heavy degree. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 141
Original post by vikke123
Stay away from Cass! After years of neglecting student feedback, the school is basically imploding, and in a heavy downward spiral ranking-wise

Do you mind telling me what do you study at CASS? thanks
Reply 142
Original post by zzFishstick
I would suggest you switch to IFRM (if it's not too late) since you want a more demanding course.

I was also in a similar position last year but I'm happy with my decision to study at Cass. I don't know much about Surrey, but if your brother is serious about getting into finance then Cass would be the way to go. Cass has a pretty good reputation within finance, its located in the City and you can make great connections while studying a practical finance-heavy degree. Feel free to pm me if you want to know more.

Thanks, that is helpful.

I have the option to change in second year, I have been told.

By the way, other students feel the same way about management.

On the other hand, I have heard it is not highly regarded for employers. 'Joke', I have heard...

There are some lazy students that just feed off others' work.
I have the option to change in second year, I have been told.

By the way, other students feel the same way about management.

On the other hand, I have heard it is not highly regarded for employers. 'Joke', I have heard...

There are some lazy students that just feed off others' work.

Actually I know a lot of students that study Management (at Cass) that get jobs at the Big 4 in consulting. So it's definitely not a 'joke'. Having said that, if you want a more quantitative and demanding degree - especially if you want to want to break into IB - switch over to IFRM next year.
A few things:

-the teachers are okay, but I find the syllabus weak in comparison to other universities which have a similar ranking

-the grading system is crap

-this is a negative for me, may be a positive for others, but the content is 'softish'

-they let in a lot of people on clearance/low grades (for internationals mainly), this is clear in class.

what course do you study? i'm in my final year and would disagree with whats been said.
Original post by gr8wizard10
what course do you study? i'm in my final year and would disagree with whats been said.

management.

And you?
management.

And you?

IFRM, been very useful practically. currently holding a grad offer in M&A at a BB aswell, and know a lot of people in my class with quite solid grad jobs at top firms. the skillset gained from this degree is quite useful and cass is a recognised brand name in this field.
Reply 148
I have no idea why Cass gets slated on here its very odd. I studied at Imperial College then switched to Cass as I decided that Biochemistry was not my calling. The education at Cass is broadly much better than I experienced at Imperial. It is true that in Management there are some soft courses but if you chose course that aren't such as Economics, Finance etc. then they are very well taught and challenging. I would also say that the 'soft' subjects that I have been taught such as consulting skills are actually exceptionally useful. The coursework was a consultancy project for a client - not some simulation ******** an actual project run by management consultants. So yeah there are some soft courses that focus on large amounts of group work and presentation skills etc. but guess what, thats what jobs are, working in teams; presenting your ideas and convincing people that you know what your talking about.
Original post by TFM2012
I have no idea why Cass gets slated on here its very odd. I studied at Imperial College then switched to Cass as I decided that Biochemistry was not my calling. The education at Cass is broadly much better than I experienced at Imperial. It is true that in Management there are some soft courses but if you chose course that aren't such as Economics, Finance etc. then they are very well taught and challenging. I would also say that the 'soft' subjects that I have been taught such as consulting skills are actually exceptionally useful. The coursework was a consultancy project for a client - not some simulation ******** an actual project run by management consultants. So yeah there are some soft courses that focus on large amounts of group work and presentation skills etc. but guess what, thats what jobs are, working in teams; presenting your ideas and convincing people that you know what your talking about.

Are you referring to masters or undergraduate?
I am going to firm Cass Business School over all of the univeristies I got offers from (Birmingham, Queen Mary, Southampton and Kent) for Accounting and Finance. I've heard that the graduate employability is very high with many students getting jobs in the top 4(EY, PwC, KMPG and Delloite). I'm unsure why the above comments keep saying that it's a bad uni and stuff. I've heard many good things about the uni.
Original post by _nikitapatel_
I am going to firm Cass Business School over all of the univeristies I got offers from (Birmingham, Queen Mary, Southampton and Kent) for Accounting and Finance. I've heard that the graduate employability is very high with many students getting jobs in the top 4(EY, PwC, KMPG and Delloite). I'm unsure why the above comments keep saying that it's a bad uni and stuff. I've heard many good things about the uni.

Me too I have heard good things, in fact it is my first choice in case I get in (for MSc), I just wonder if the investment is worth it if I have to choose between Strathclyde and Cass as the tuition difference is of 15,000 pounds...
Hey, Iv just received an offer to study Accounting and finance at Cass, the negetivity on the forums have reli confused me nw..
What did you decide to do and how did it turn out ? cz i hav an offer from cass rn and this forum has me reli confused
Original post by _nikitapatel_

Original post by kasschaud
Me too I have heard good things, in fact it is my first choice in case I get in (for MSc), I just wonder if the investment is worth it if I have to choose between Strathclyde and Cass as the tuition difference is of 15,000 pounds...

Original post by Bluee101
Hey, Iv just received an offer to study Accounting and finance at Cass, the negetivity on the forums have reli confused me nw..

A&F is a strong course at Cass, one of the best in the country. If you push yourself you can definitely get into a Big 4 firm, I know plenty that have. And out of the universities stated above, I would pick Cass over all of them without hesitating.
A&F is a strong course at Cass, one of the best in the country. If you push yourself you can definitely get into a Big 4 firm, I know plenty that have. And out of the universities stated above, I would pick Cass over all of them without hesitating.

Last weekend I went to the applicant day for Cass and I absolutely loved the course they had to offer for Accounting & Finance. Apparently it's a very difficult course though, due to having 2 extra modules each year. But I'd like to think that I have a good work ethic, so hopefully it will go okay. I firmed Cass as soon as I got back from the applicant day because I really liked the year abroad option they offer. There are so many pros to this university from what I've heard, so I'm happy I firmed it. Also they dropped my grades down from AAA to ABB, which is another reason why I actually firmed the university, as I think those grades are achievable if I continue to work hard. Out of all the applicant days (and other universities) I visited, I definitely liked Cass the most! So I look forward to studying there next year, provided I get the grades!
Original post by frank1
I am following these Cass comments with some interest as I have an offer and considering. Please, someone help me understand how the Guardian have ranked them 3rd for Business Studies?? My sister went to St. Andrews and I too have applied. I don't like the fact is so far and remote but the ranking of 4th whilst City/Cass is 3rd, well, I just don't get it. It worries me when I read comments that City is some sort of joke amongst employers. At the end of the day all I want is a job!!

Please don't come to Cass, I am going through hell here!
Original post by ILikeProperThings
Before I rule out this school completely, can I get some opinions on this school from current students or people who know about this school? Not from the official representatives please.

Reasons for ruling this one out.

I have been there a few times. The impression I got was that the school is like a foreign country and the admin people are all UK nationals (saw them on the third floor), feeding on those who come from abroad. The building is fancy because hey let's face it this isn't Harvard, this is the least they can do. I am all for the Euro-thing, but hey there should be some boundaries.

Teachers did talk about having a lot of experience teaching and suggested that they knew what they were doing. But given their previous qualifications, they would say that wouldn't they. Do they even have PGCE? I thought every university teacher had to have one.

I met current students, heard where they studied before and the grade they got, much too low.

The ranking tables are rubbish. No one cares. I don't think LSE cares about their position in the ranking tables and they don't have to. This school has to, because that's all they have got. This school is very showoff, anti-English. They never miss the opportunities to tell the world how great they are. In the financial times editorial thing, there are so many pieces by Cass teachers. I thought that teachers would get sacked if they mixed journalism and academia.

Finally, I don't like the fact that they have got representatives on the TSR. It makes them appear desperate and cheap.

Thanks people. No representatives please. No representatives please.

I am a representative and I am telling you to RUN FOR THE HILLS! YOUR INSTINCTS ARE SPOT-ON!
Cass is a highly regarded and highly ranked business school. City also recently joined the university of London so the degree you get in the end is a university of London degree.

If you believe that a degree from a college of the university of London, one of the largest and most prestigious universities in the U.K., is so bad then I suggest you go to see a doctor.

Sure some people will say that many colleges are part of the university of London not just LSE and Kings. Sure, but my argument is simple; being a college of the university of London ensures certain standards. If you do not believe even that then you are a bigoted person.

So in short there is no way on earth that Cass is as bad as you depict it.
Reply 159
Hello, I will study MSc in Finance at Cass this fall. Does anybody know the class profile of the 2016 intake? What types of jobs did the students get after graduating?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending