The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Moleman1996
Got this so far.

Constitution of the TSR Arab League

Presidency
-A President Nation is elected every three months
-Two Deputy President Nations are elected every three months
-The President Nation has 2 votes in the Presidential Council, each deputy president nation has 1 vote
-To pass in the Presidential Council, a 50% in favour vote is required
-The President can Veto 2 measures per term in the council. A veto causes the measure to be voted on by the entire assembly (see "Voting").
-The Deputy President nations can veto 1 measure each per term.
-A VoNC in the president may be submitted by any member of the assembly, but must be seconded by another member state and receive a 60% vote to go through.

Voting
-There will be two tiers of voting, a presidential council vote (see above), and a full assembly vote, which requires a 75% majority vote to pass. It is up to the president nation alone to determine which measures go to which vote.
-Any nation may submit a measure to the president nation for voting on, this does not require seconding by any other nations.

PResidential Elections
- A 'High Elector' will be appointed by the President before each election. The High Elector may not participate in either Presidential or Deputy Presidential elections for that term. In the absence of a High Elector, elections are managed by the Secretary General of the TSR Model United Nations
-Elections for both President and Deputies are held every 3 months, Deputy Presidential elections are held after the election of the president.
-The High Elector may be a former president nation, however they must not be the serving president or deputy even if they do not intend to run in said election.

Votes of No Confidence
-In the event of a VoNC succeeding, the Deputy President nations may govern until the next scheduled election, or they may choose to hold an immediate election, relinquishing all power until/unless re-elected.
-A VoNC may not be called in a deputy president nation, however a statement of complaint may be issued to the President nation, who will have the power to organise an unscheduled election for said seat, allowing the current nation and others to stand. However the president may choose to ignore said statement and take no action.

Observer Nations
-Observer members may be admitted by the council or general assemby (see above, at presidents discretion).
-Admission of Observer Members is dealt with on a case by case basis
-Observer Members must submit a 300 word (max.) manifesto as to why they should become an observer member.

Full Members
-The admission of nations to full member status must be voted on by the full assemby, and receive a majority vote (over 50%)
-Full members may be removed by a 60% majority vote on the general assembly, and re-admitted at a future date under the same conditions

Summits

The Arab League may be represented at any MUN wide summits by a representative appointed by the Presidential Council.

Excellent, but I fear that you've missed out a key thing. What can the Arab League do? Does it create treaties/ motions? What about expulsion motions such as the Syria one? I think that you've missed out that key element.
Reply 181
Original post by toronto353
Excellent, but I fear that you've missed out a key thing. What can the Arab League do? Does it create treaties/ motions? What about expulsion motions such as the Syria one? I think that you've missed out that key element.

That's true, didn't spot that.

Add that bit in at the beginning I suggest, Moleman. :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by RoryS
That's true, didn't spot that.

Add that bit in at the beginning I suggest, Moleman. :smile:

This.
Reply 183
Also, you say a vote needs 50% in favour to pass through, so basically, the president could pass anything. Would a 51% majority be a better idea?

Yup, that needs adding in, will do it today

Original post by Lipvig
Also, you say a vote needs 50% in favour to pass through, so basically, the president could pass anything. Would a 51% majority be a better idea?

thats a mistake, it was supposed to be 75% :tongue: So basically presdient + deputy need to agree.

Oh, and not on the topic of the constitution, but I was intending not to run in the next presidential election, so if anyone wanted to start preparing a manifesto in advance... :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 185

Oh, and not on the topic of the constitution, but I was intending not to run in the next presidential election, so if anyone wanted to start preparing a manifesto in advance... :tongue:

Unlikely I will run.
Reply 186

I might run, only if I lose both the MHoC Speaker election and the United Kingdom SC position. :tongue:
UPDATED VERSION

Presidency
-The President Nation has 2 votes in the Presidential Council, each deputy president nation has 1 vote
-The President can Veto 2 measures per term in the council. A veto causes the measure to be voted on by the entire assembly (see "Voting").
-A VoNC in the president may be submitted by any member of the assembly, but must be seconded by another member state and receive a 60% vote to go through.

Voting
-There will be two tiers of voting, a presidential council vote (see above), and a full assembly vote, which requires a 75% majority vote to pass. It is up to the president nation alone to determine which measures go to which vote.
-Any nation may submit a measure to the president nation for voting on, this does not require seconding by any other nations.

PResidential Elections
- A 'High Elector' will be appointed by the President before each election. The High Elector may not participate in either Presidential or Deputy Presidential elections for that term. In the absence of a High Elector, elections are managed by the Secretary General of the TSR Model United Nations
-Elections for both President and Deputies are held every 3 months, Deputy Presidential elections are held after the election of the president.
-The High Elector may be a former president nation, however they must not be the serving president or deputy even if they do not intend to run in said election.

Votes of No Confidence
-In the event of a VoNC succeeding, the Deputy President nations may govern until the next scheduled election, or they may choose to hold an immediate election, relinquishing all power until/unless re-elected.
-A VoNC may not be called in a deputy president nation, however a statement of complaint may be issued to the President nation, who will have the power to organise an unscheduled election for said seat, allowing the current nation and others to stand. However the president may choose to ignore said statement and take no action.

Observer Nations
-Observer members may be admitted by the council or general assemby (see above, at presidents discretion).
-Observer Members must submit a 300 word (max.) manifesto as to why they should become an observer member.

Full Members
-The admission of nations to full member status must be voted on by the full assemby, and receive a majority vote (over 50%)
-Full members may be removed by a 60% majority vote on the general assembly, and re-admitted at a future date under the same conditions

Summits

The Arab League may be represented at any MUN wide summits by a representative appointed by the Presidential Council.

Activity within the MUN

The Arab League may submit motions, resolutions and treatys as an organisation (which must be voted in under the same conditions as above) to the MUN, and if voted in favour of, the president nation may sign any treaty on behalf of all arab league nations in the MUN, meaning that even nations who voted against the treaty must accept its terms if they are full members of the league

Ammendments to this document.

Ammendments to the original document of August 2012 may be made if a 75% majority full league vote is in favour of said ammendment. Ammendments may be made to all parts of this document, and may be submitted by any Arab League full member or observer nation (observer nations may submit ideas, but will still be unable to vote on them.)
UPDATED VERSION

Presidency

Voting

PResidential Elections

Votes of No Confidence

Observer Nations

Full Members
-The admission of nations to full member status must be voted on by the full assembly, and receive a majority vote (over 50%)

Summits

Activity within the MUN

The Arab League may submit motions, resolutions and treaties as an organisation (which must be voted in under the same conditions as above) to the MUN, and if voted in favour of, the president nation may sign any treaty on behalf of all arab league nations in the MUN, meaning that even nations who voted against the treaty must accept its terms if they are full members of the league

Ammendments to this document.

Ammendments to the original document of August 2012 may be made if a 75% majority full league vote is in favour of said Amendment. Ammendments may be made to all parts of this document, and may be submitted by any Arab League full member or observer nation (observer nations may submit ideas, but will still be unable to vote on them.)

I've corrected some basic grammatical and spelling mistakes, but will look at this in more detail later.
I've corrected some basic grammatical and spelling mistakes, but will look at this in more detail later.

k, cheers.

If this does get ratified, would you fancy being High Elector for the presidential election next month?
k, cheers.

If this does get ratified, would you fancy being High Elector for the presidential election next month?

I can do that yes. I just need a country to represent now. I'm thinking Saint Kitts and Nevis.
I can do that yes. I just need a country to represent now. I'm thinking Saint Kitts and Nevis.

that actually sounds like quite a fun country to represent.

Could have some tough questions about why the W.Indies are no good at cricket anymore though :wink:
that actually sounds like quite a fun country to represent.

Could have some tough questions about why the W.Indies are no good at cricket anymore though :wink:

You can always ask them - I just won't be able to answer them. :tongue:
You can always ask them - I just won't be able to answer them. :tongue:

Just to add a little more bureaucracy to everyone's lives, you could set up a committee to investigate the decline of the West Indies Cricket Team, and what part St Kitts and Nevis has had to play in it :colone:
Just to add a little more bureaucracy to everyone's lives, you could set up a committee to investigate the decline of the West Indies Cricket Team, and what part St Kitts and Nevis has had to play in it :colone:

Uh no. :tongue:
Reply 195
What do you think of looking for a free trade agreement between the EU and Arab League, and submitting a finalised proposal to the full membership of both unions for a vote? Just a thought I had.

Aplogies for the long delay.
The World Free Trade Zone is now open to new members (see the seperate thread in this forum for more detail). If any Arab League country is interested in having free trade with the EU (and other members of the WFTZ) we invite it to apply.
Original post by stanlas
Aplogies for the long delay.
The World Free Trade Zone is now open to new members (see the seperate thread in this forum for more detail). If any Arab League country is interested in having free trade with the EU (and other members of the WFTZ) we invite it to apply.

would the Arab League be allowed to join the WFTZ as a union, so that if voted in favour of by the league all member states must join, like the EU?
Reply 197
would the Arab League be allowed to join the WFTZ as a union, so that if voted in favour of by the league all member states must join, like the EU?

I don't see anything against that. You can have a vote as a league and if it is succesful then I'll add all Arab League states to the zone.
Original post by stanlas
I don't see anything against that. You can have a vote as a league and if it is succesful then I'll add all Arab League states to the zone.

Will start the process now, try and get it done before presidential elections at the start of sept, after which point I probably wont be president anymore

Lipvig
QFA

Missbanana21
QFA

THe president asks the two deputies to vote on submitting this proposal for all league countries to join the WFTZ to the general AL assembly for vote.

The President also asks the two countries to vote on submitting the constitution (see top of page or page before, latest version is on here somewhere) to the General AL assembly for voting on its ratification.

Tunisia votes yes to both of these proposals.
Reply 199
As does Oman.

Latest

Trending

Trending