Edexcel Arabic Watch

12tahsinla
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Really and truly, I had no idea Arabic A level was going to be so hard that keeps me up crying every night. I picked it because I enjoyed learning a language at GCSE level, and I got a good grade to continue into A level. I'm not a native speaker and I'm finding writing and structuring Arabic essays so hard!!! is there anything I can do to help me? I need a tutor !!
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you a native?
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Are you a native?
no im not a native speaker and i dont have a good teacher either, he is Morrocan and french and cannot explain to me things in english
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you should start looking for a tutor then
(Original post by 12tahsinla)
no im not a native speaker and i dont have a good teacher either, he is Morrocan and french and cannot explain to me things in english
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
yh i tried looking everywhere for a tutor minus online tutors because i wanted face to face, but i haven't found anyone!! it's so hard especially when i barely know any arab people either!! are you an arab?
I think you should start looking for a tutor then
JasmineLLB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yh i tried looking everywhere for a tutor minus online tutors because i wanted face to face, but i haven't found anyone!! it's so hard especially when i barely know any arab people either!! are you an arab?
I’m Arab. Is there anything I can help you with?

I’m sure you can find another Arabic tutor, no way there isn’t any wherever you are. If there isn’t, I would resort to online resources to help with things like grammar and whatnot.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by JasmineLLB; 3 weeks ago
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
i mainly learn better face to face
just because in terms f online resources, I cant directly always understand, and theres no easy way to understand apart from google translate
sometimes translation takes so long!!
Idk i live in Greater London, not many arabs around this area, even in my collegge theres only 2 Arabs, and they don't know how to read or write arabic, so no help sadly .
I need mainly like essay help and understanding a novel
(Original post by JasmineLLB)
I’m Arab. Is there anything I can help you with?

I’m sure you can find another Arabic tutor, no way there isn’t any wherever you are. If there isn’t, I would resort to online resources to help with things like grammar and whatnot.
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What are you having trouble with? I have good sources for my Arabic classes and I'll translate what it means to you.

Apparently, this is what you need to focus on, my comments will be in bold:
Students are assessed on their ability to communicate effectively through writing in Arabic.
Students need to:
● communicate effectively in writing for a variety of purposes across a range of specified
contexts
● write short texts, using simple sentences and familiar language accurately to convey
meaning and exchange information
● produce clear and coherent text of extended length to present facts and express ideas and
opinions appropriately for different purposes and in different settings
● make accurate use of a variety of vocabulary and grammatical structures, including some
more complex forms, to describe and narrate with reference to past, present and future
events There is a recommended vocabulary list for edexcel that I will add below
● manipulate the language, using and adapting a variety of structures and vocabulary with
increasing accuracy and fluency for new purposes, including using appropriate style and
register
● make independent, creative and more complex use of the language, as appropriate, to
note down key points, express and justify individual thoughts and points of view, in order
to interest, inform or convince
● translate sentences and short texts from English into the assessed language to convey key
messages accurately and to apply grammatical knowledge of language and structures in
context. For the grammatical knowledge, I can send you a few docs that summarize things and I'll translate to you what it is saying, and all you need to do is understand

For the vocab list, go to page 800 (or 76 on the page) of this link: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...2016_Draft.pdf

Arabic is a really hard language and us natives struggle a lot with the grammar as well. With that being said, I know you learn better face to face, but if I were you and was left with no choice I would definitely get an online tutor. Practice a lot, write a lot and get constant feedback, this is how I improved my skills and jumped up two grades from 5/7 to a 7/7 (my school follows the IB system). It seems very complex from the bullet points, I wouldn't take any chances remaining with a bad tutor.
i mainly learn better face to face
just because in terms f online resources, I cant directly always understand, and theres no easy way to understand apart from google translate
sometimes translation takes so long!!
Idk i live in Greater London, not many arabs around this area, even in my collegge theres only 2 Arabs, and they don't know how to read or write arabic, so no help sadly .
I need mainly like essay help and understanding a novel
Last edited by JasmineLLB; 3 weeks ago
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No, I'm not Arab but I grew up around Arabs and their language so started learning it a couple of years ago, I would say I'm quite strong at it atm. Now I'm looking for a permanent tutor, but I'm also finding it difficult! Do you recommend any websites to find tutors or anything?
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you have any recommendations where to find a teacher? In the past I've had Algerian and Egyptian teachers, who taught me Fusha but I ended up incorporating the different dialects lol.
What are you having trouble with? I have good sources for my Arabic classes and I'll translate what it means to you.

Apparently, this is what you need to focus on, my comments will be in bold:
Students are assessed on their ability to communicate effectively through writing in Arabic.
Students need to:
● communicate effectively in writing for a variety of purposes across a range of specified
contexts
● write short texts, using simple sentences and familiar language accurately to convey
meaning and exchange information
● produce clear and coherent text of extended length to present facts and express ideas and
opinions appropriately for different purposes and in different settings
● make accurate use of a variety of vocabulary and grammatical structures, including some
more complex forms, to describe and narrate with reference to past, present and future
events There is a recommended vocabulary list for edexcel that I will add below
● manipulate the language, using and adapting a variety of structures and vocabulary with
increasing accuracy and fluency for new purposes, including using appropriate style and
register
● make independent, creative and more complex use of the language, as appropriate, to
note down key points, express and justify individual thoughts and points of view, in order
to interest, inform or convince
● translate sentences and short texts from English into the assessed language to convey key
messages accurately and to apply grammatical knowledge of language and structures in
context. For the grammatical knowledge, I can send you a few docs that summarize things and I'll translate to you what it is saying, and all you need to do is understand

For the vocab list, go to page 800 (or 76 on the page) of this link: https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...2016_Draft.pdf

Arabic is a really hard language and us natives struggle a lot with the grammar as well. With that being said, I know you learn better face to face, but if I were you and was left with no choice I would definitely get an online tutor. Practice a lot, write a lot and get constant feedback, this is how I improved my skills and jumped up two grades from 5/7 to a 7/7 (my school follows the IB system). It seems very complex from the bullet points, I wouldn't take any chances remaining with a bad tutor.
JasmineLLB
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Algerian and Egyptian dialect are very different from one another so I can imagine how interesting that mix would be, haha.

I don't live in the UK, so I'm sorry unfortunately I don't.
Do you have any recommendations where to find a teacher? In the past I've had Algerian and Egyptian teachers, who taught me Fusha but I ended up incorporating the different dialects lol.
SlightlySummer
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh ok no worries
Algerian and Egyptian dialect are very different from one another so I can imagine how interesting that mix would be, haha.

12tahsinla
Rep:
?
oh right see i live iin the UK, and as i have mentioned in the area i live there is not that many Arabs. Please insert the grammar pdf you were talking about.
That would be great help ! Did you do Edexcel Arabic?
How hard do you think it will be for me to get an A?
so far i can do basic Arabic-English translation if its super hard texts then i cant!!
Also, i can translate from English- Arabic averagely, im not that good!! Just because i sometimes dont know the vocab
Arabic has so much vocabulary
Also, i know only some expressions to write an essay for my required novel!!
I'm not extremely comfortable with any aspect, Can i change it and become really good within a week like with intensive practice?

haxhacks
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow, how similar your situation was to mine, well, ill tell you what i didn't do. I got an A* at gcse and at a level i was more laid back and never done any reading/ writing.

All it is you have to do are past papers/ write in arabic/ read in arabic.

gcse grade a*
as level grade E

put in the work to get your grade.

Really and truly, I had no idea Arabic A level was going to be so hard that keeps me up crying every night. I picked it because I enjoyed learning a language at GCSE level, and I got a good grade to continue into A level. I'm not a native speaker and I'm finding writing and structuring Arabic essays so hard!!! is there anything I can do to help me? I need a tutor !!
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
yh for me i researched into all my other a levels but not arabic
because i thought since its going to be 1-1 it will be amazing but my teacher absolutely doesn't care
he still hasnt finished content and is so laidbackkk
i tried doing past papers but i just dont know why i keep forgetting and confusing vocabulary!!
there is so much. any tips on how i can become super fluent and remember everything??
(Original post by haxhacks)
Wow, how similar your situation was to mine, well, ill tell you what i didn't do. I got an A* at gcse and at a level i was more laid back and never done any reading/ writing.

All it is you have to do are past papers/ write in arabic/ read in arabic.

gcse grade a*
as level grade E

put in the work to get your grade.
haxhacks
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Honestly, the most efficient way i'd say to learn vocab is to read, and when you're bored of reading, watch movies in arabic, yeah they'll be terrible but i think its the quickest way to save your grade.
yh for me i researched into all my other a levels but not arabic
because i thought since its going to be 1-1 it will be amazing but my teacher absolutely doesn't care
he still hasnt finished content and is so laidbackkk
i tried doing past papers but i just dont know why i keep forgetting and confusing vocabulary!!
there is so much. any tips on how i can become super fluent and remember everything??
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
(Original post by haxhacks)
Honestly, the most efficient way i'd say to learn vocab is to read, and when you're bored of reading, watch movies in arabic, yeah they'll be terrible but i think its the quickest way to save your grade.
Do you any recommendations for films that would help me or books because I’ve been trying to find good ones with fusha Arabic to help for the longest time ?
Like I’m not a disorganised person but with Arabic everything just went haywire coz of my rubbish teacher and the lack of Arabic resources I had in terms of books, essay examples, and movies . That’s why is stopped my 100% to Arabic .
Do you have any book recommendations?
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'll be taking an Arabic module either next year or the year after at uni, really looking forward to it

Have a look here: www.firsttutors.com/uk
I used it for maths and found a really lovely girl who was a massive help. You find tutors in your area and they can come over to your house (or you go to their's). Plenty of students who are cheaper than the actual teachers of course, but idk what your budget is.
Good luck!
12tahsinla
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kinyonga)
I'll be taking an Arabic module either next year or the year after at uni, really looking forward to it

Have a look here: www.firsttutors.com/uk
I used it for maths and found a really lovely girl who was a massive help. You find tutors in your area and they can come over to your house (or you go to their's). Plenty of students who are cheaper than the actual teachers of course, but idk what your budget is.
Good luck!
Dyu think there’s a chance of me even getting an A with my exams being literally two weeks away
Kinyonga
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Dyu think there’s a chance of me even getting an A with my exams being literally two weeks away
If you get a tutor, yes, definitely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads