The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DayneD89
The Russian Federation is a great friend to many in the Arab world, but Palestine must ask why you wish to join the Arab League when you do not have a sizable Arab population that the league may help give voice to? There is a sizable number of people in Russia who follow the Muslim religion, but this is not the Muslim league but the Arab League. We are certainly not saying that we would oppose your membership at this time, but there doesn't seem a reason yet to grant observer status to Russia, as positive trade links can be established without Russia's involvement in the league.

We don't have to have a high number of Arabs in Russia to wish to become an observer member. Does the TSR MHoC have a high number of Arabs? I don't believe so yet they were observer members so we feel that we are more than qualified to become a observer member. The Russian Federation does have a large number of expats in the Arab world and we would like to assist in anyway that we can in regards to our citizens as well as speaking out for Arabs around the world as and when we can.

We are well aware of the fact that trade deals can be done outside the league however we feel it would streamline things if we get things done through the league as well as through individual nations... you will one day become a Pan-Arab state, is that not what many Arabs still hope for? :holmes: :tongue:
Original post by tehFrance
We don't have to have a high number of Arabs in Russia to wish to become an observer member. Does the TSR MHoC have a high number of Arabs? I don't believe so yet they were observer members so we feel that we are more than qualified to become a observer member. The Russian Federation does have a large number of expats in the Arab world and we would like to assist in anyway that we can in regards to our citizens as well as speaking out for Arabs around the world as and when we can.

We are well aware of the fact that trade deals can be done outside the league however we feel it would streamline things if we get things done through the league as well as through individual nations... you will one day become a Pan-Arab state, is that not what many Arabs still hope for? :holmes: :tongue:

Iirc the MHoC is no longer a member, but regardless I would have asked the same questions at their request had I been representing an Arab country at the time.

Ultimately this does come down to what we want the Arab league to be. If we wish for the Arab league to become a place for all countries with links to the Arab world to come together and discuss Arab issues then I would see no problem with Russia joining as an observer state. If this league wishes to be the voice of Arab countries and Arab peoples oversees then I'm not sure Russia is a country that has a place in the league due to its tiny Arab population.

This is not of course to say that Russia has no place in the Arab world. Russia has been of great help to Arab countries, including palestinein the past and we hope this will continue long into the future. The Russia-Arab buisiness council is a great way for buisiness relation between Russia and the Arab league states to grow without observer status however.
Original post by DayneD89
QFA

The Russian Federation wants to discuss Arab issues, find out if there is anything we can do to help, be the voice of Russian citizens in the Middle East and give the voice of the Arabs within Russia to the Arab League. The Russian Federation wants a variety of what you have talked about.

We wish to forge deeper links with the Arab world and we see becoming an observer member as one of the best ways to achieve this aim :smile:
The Russian Federation wants to discuss Arab issues, find out if there is anything we can do to help, be the voice of Russian citizens in the Middle East and give the voice of the Arabs within Russia to the Arab League. The Russian Federation wants a variety of what you have talked about.

We wish to forge deeper links with the Arab world and we see becoming an observer member as one of the best ways to achieve this aim :smile:

Arab issues can be discussed in the wider MUN, the Arab league is to give the joined voice of Arab people. Russia does not have enough Arabs in its borders to warrant an observer position within this league on grounds of giving those Arabs a voice on the league and deeper links do not require involvement in the league. I am, at least slightly, playing devils advocate here, but these are our concerns on the Russian Federations application for an observer position.
Reply 284

I'm in agreement with Dayne here - Arab Issues can been discussed in the wider MUN. The AL is exclusive to the Arab people and Russia doesn't have many Arabs to warrant joining the Arab League bloc.

We thank you for your interest in the AL and hope you do discuss AL issues in the wider MUN where AL Nations will comment and debate with you.

Moleman1996
QFA

DayneD89
QFA
The Russian Federation is dismayed at the negative response we have received however we shall accept said response and continue to work extremely hard for the Arab world :smile:
The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan appreciates the reaction of the Russian Federation from it not being able to join the Arab League. We hope there are many opportunities to work with Russia.
Original post by PierceBrosnan
The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan appreciates the reaction of the Russian Federation from it not being able to join the Arab League. We hope there are many opportunities to work with Russia.

Is Jordan an Arab League member on TSR?
Original post by Cheese_Monster
Is Jordan an Arab League member on TSR?

Indeed it is. It would be a bit weird if it wasn't.
Indeed it is. It would be a bit weird if it wasn't.

True but Rory didn't quote you into the discussion. Why are ordinary members excluded from the Arab League talks? I plan to join an Arab country when I vacate my Belarusian seat, I think.
True but Rory didn't quote you into the discussion. Why are ordinary members excluded from the Arab League talks? I plan to join an Arab country when I vacate my Belarusian seat, I think.

Not sure why that was. Either way there are quite a few Arab countries to choose from now that half of MUN has been emptied.
Reply 291

What discussion was this? Sorry! Too much has being going on over the past couple of days, had lots to manage and keep afloat. :wink:

You'd be a great Arab rep, a real asset and new lease of life for the AL. I'd advise you to choose an Arab country for your next MUN venture. :tongue:

Not sure why that was. Either way there are quite a few Arab countries to choose from now that half of MUN has been emptied.

My apologies if you weren't featured in 'a discussion'. :smile:

Yes, there are lots of Arab Countries to choose from, and they need active reps. If they aren't going to be active, then they shouldn't bother applying.
Original post by RoryS
What discussion was this? Sorry! Too much has being going on over the past couple of days, had lots to manage and keep afloat. :wink:

You'd be a great Arab rep, a real asset and new lease of life for the AL. I'd advise you to choose an Arab country for your next MUN venture. :tongue:

OOC: haha I wasn't taking a dig, I was just confused why another Arab League member was excluded :tongue:. So the current composition of the Arab league, does it mirror RL? As in if I chose to represent an Arab nation that is a member in RL, would I automatically have membership on here?

Thanks, I'd like to contribute to its resurgence :biggrin:
tehFrance
QFA

If Russia wishes to apply to join as an observer member, she may submit a manifesto and the AL will vote on her admission.

(Sorry, only just seen this, been up to my neck in chemistry revision!) :/
personally id vote in favour of Russia joining as an observer though :holmes:
Reply 295
Original post by Moleman1996
If Russia wishes to apply to join as an observer member, she may submit a manifesto and the AL will vote on her admission.

Ooo woops, sorry I didn't know the protocol. :smile:

Oh really? so this manifesto must include what? :holmes:
Oh really? so this manifesto must include what? :holmes:

why you wanna join, you don't have to but,it,might help. I can,just,put,it,up for election without q manifesto immediately if you want? (sorry about all the commas, its next to the spacebar on my,phone)
Original post by RoryS
Ooo woops, sorry I didn't know the protocol. :smile:

No probs, the whole constitution is fairly dubious anways :s If Russia wants an election putting in, we can make that the last vote before the rpesidency elections and then begin the manifesto submission period straight afterwards, get the presidency elections out of the way :biggrin:
Reply 299
No probs, the whole constitution is fairly dubious anways :s If Russia wants an election putting in, we can make that the last vote before the rpesidency elections and then begin the manifesto submission period straight afterwards, get the presidency elections out of the way :biggrin:

Ah okay :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending