The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine Funding

Hya,
I am currently in sixth form and I am thinking of my options. I really want to do medicine. But if i couldn't get in to med school straight away, I will study Biomedical Sciences at Newcastle University. Is there any funding for studying GEM? The thing that worries me the most is the tuition fees. Do I get a loan of the fees? If not is there some other way of funding it? And what NHS bursaries will I get?

Please reply if you can, its really worrying me.

Reply 1
Original post by Ross1237
Hya,
I am currently in sixth form and I am thinking of my options. I really want to do medicine. But if i couldn't get in to med school straight away, I will study Biomedical Sciences at Newcastle University. Is there any funding for studying GEM? The thing that worries me the most is the tuition fees. Do I get a loan of the fees? If not is there some other way of funding it? And what NHS bursaries will I get?

Copied and Pasted from the NHS careers website:

Funding for graduates on accelerated courses in academic years 2011/12 and 2012/13.

If you are a graduate medical student on an accelerated (four year) course in the academic year 2011/12, you are eligible to apply to Student Finance England for a full maintenance loan in your first year. You will also be expected to self-fund your tuition costs.

In the next four years of your course, you can apply to the NHS Student Bursaries Unit for a means-tested NHS bursary to cover maintenance costs. Tuition fees are also paid by the NHS Bursary Scheme for this period and students can apply for a reduced maintenance loan from Student Finance England.

If you are starting your course in the academic year 2012/13, you will have to self fund the first £3,375 of your tuition fees in the first year. In later years, the NHS Bursary scheme will pay £3,375 towards your tuition. Throughout the course, a Student Loan Company loan will be available to cover the difference between £3,375 and the tuition charges of their universities, to a maximum charge of £9,000."

I think it is important to note that any arrangements made for graduates now may not be the same once you come round to applying from Biomed. The situation is quite uncertain at the moment, so it really would be best to try and get in first time (easier said than done, I know). Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
The details for GEP funding for beyond 2012 entry is as yet unknown.

If you're still in sixth form you definitely should not be thinking about GEM yet...concentrate on getting the A-level grades now.
Reply 3
4 years too early mate
Reply 4
Original post by .eXe
4 years too early mate

or 3 :colone:
Reply 5
Original post by Davidragon
Copied and Pasted from the NHS careers website:

I think it is important to note that any arrangements made for graduates now may not be the same once you come round to applying from Biomed. The situation is quite uncertain at the moment, so it really would be best to try and get in first time (easier said than done, I know). Good luck :smile:

What about funding for graduates on a 5 year medical degree course? Does anyone know if they can get student finance?
Reply 6
Original post by Ross1237
Hya,

I'd like to stress that if you get the required grades, reapply- don't jump to the GEM option! It's more competitive than what it is when you apply as a school- leaver.

Original post by samnwood
What about funding for graduates on a 5 year medical degree course? Does anyone know if they can get student finance?

No they can't. You only get help if you're on a GEM course.

Edit: Well you can get a reduced- rate maintenance loan, but no tuition fee loan.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending