The Student Room Group

Funding for postgraduate Medicine as a second masters degree

Hi guys,

I’m just wondering if I wish to move on to study A101 medicine as a second master's degree, what are the available funding options? I know that the NHS bursary provides partial funding, but I have heard different things about funding from student finance. As I already have a master's degree, I understand I won't get any master's loan, but what about a maintenance loan? I have heard different things from different people.

Thank you!
Vivian
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi Vivian_caiii,

Graduate Entry Medicine and Graduate Entry Dentistry courses are for students who already hold a degree and are now applying to study on a course that is no longer than 4 years in length. We will disregard any previous study (including PGM and PGD) a student had before starting their Graduate Entry Medical or Dental course.

Tuition Fees From the 2017/18 AY HEPs can charge tuition fees of up to £9,250. This change affects both new and continuing students. For more information on the increase to tuition fees, please see the Teaching Excellence Framework
Year 1 You will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535. If you want a tuition fee loan you need to confirm the amount you want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.

Maintenance Funding Year 1 You can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants.

Years 2-4 You can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. You can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Clare
Original post by Vivian_caiii
Hi guys,
I’m just wondering if I wish to move on to study A101 medicine as a second master's degree, what are the available funding options? I know that the NHS bursary provides partial funding, but I have heard different things about funding from student finance. As I already have a master's degree, I understand I won't get any master's loan, but what about a maintenance loan? I have heard different things from different people.
Thank you!
Vivian
Hi Vivian, what is the course you're looking to study and the university? Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Vivian_caiii,
Graduate Entry Medicine and Graduate Entry Dentistry courses are for students who already hold a degree and are now applying to study on a course that is no longer than 4 years in length. We will disregard any previous study (including PGM and PGD) a student had before starting their Graduate Entry Medical or Dental course.
Tuition Fees From the 2017/18 AY HEPs can charge tuition fees of up to £9,250. This change affects both new and continuing students. For more information on the increase to tuition fees, please see the Teaching Excellence Framework
Year 1 You will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.
Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535. If you want a tuition fee loan you need to confirm the amount you want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.
Maintenance Funding Year 1 You can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants.
Years 2-4 You can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. You can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Clare

Hi clare,

Thank you so much for your reply. however I just called SFE in regarding my question, but they have told me as I already held a funded masters degree, there won't be any funding option for me, not even a maintenance loan :frown:

Original post by Vivian_caiii
Hi clare,
Thank you so much for your reply. however I just called SFE in regarding my question, but they have told me as I already held a funded masters degree, there won't be any funding option for me, not even a maintenance loan :frown:

Hi Vivian,

What is the name of the course and university you're looking to study? Thanks, Jason
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Vivian,
What is the name of the course and university you're looking to study? Thanks, Jason
Hi Jackson,

I got my offer from chester on their graduate entry medicine A101 course. thank you
Hi there. The university of Chester? Do you have a course code for this at all? How many years is the course and is it full time or part time? Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. The university of Chester? Do you have a course code for this at all? How many years is the course and is it full time or part time? Thanks, Leah.

Hello! Yes for university of Chester, the course code is A101 and university code is C55. The course duration is 4 years full time. Thank you
Thanks. As in Clare's first reply, students studying a graduate entry Medicine course can apply for SFE funding even if they already hold a degree. Typically, we would check the course to make sure it's covered but unfortunately, I cannot find any courses with this code or name on our system.

We have a system we share with the universities where they add the courses we can fund. It may be best to speak with them and ask them to update the system first.

Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Leah SLC
Thanks. As in Clare's first reply, students studying a graduate entry Medicine course can apply for SFE funding even if they already hold a degree. Typically, we would check the course to make sure it's covered but unfortunately, I cannot find any courses with this code or name on our system.
We have a system we share with the universities where they add the courses we can fund. It may be best to speak with them and ask them to update the system first.
Thanks, Leah.

Hi Leah,
Thank you so much for your response. I called the University of Chester and they said they are aware of this. they said due to the nature of its a new course, hence why the system might not be updated yet. I was ensured I would be eligible for funding, like you and Clare said. As the course is titled Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, do I apply for student finance via the undergraduate pathway, although it's a postgraduate course? thank you
No problem. Graduate entry Medicine courses would fall under undergraduate funding because of the type of funding it attracts. We won't be able to process the application at all until they have updated the course on the system, so once you have confirmation of this you can make an application. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending