The Student Room Group

SFE - second degree funding

Hello,

I am starting a BMBS Medicine course at University of Exeter in September 2024 (deferred entry). This is a 5 year course. I have studied for 2 years previously on a foundation degree in Business. I would like to know what funding I would be eligible for as I have had multiple conflicting answers from SF in the past. Is medicine an exception subject? Does a foundation degree count as previous study in the same way a full degree does?

Thank you
Original post by Kimpy
Hello,

I am starting a BMBS Medicine course at University of Exeter in September 2024 (deferred entry). This is a 5 year course. I have studied for 2 years previously on a foundation degree in Business. I would like to know what funding I would be eligible for as I have had multiple conflicting answers from SF in the past. Is medicine an exception subject? Does a foundation degree count as previous study in the same way a full degree does?

Thank you

Hi there,

We do not look at your previous study when you apply for this course but the payments are different.

Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

If they want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.

Maintenance Funding Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed*NHS Bursary*and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

If they are studying a Graduate Entry Medical course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medical or Dental Course.
Reply 2
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

We do not look at your previous study when you apply for this course but the payments are different.

Year 1 The student will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

If they want a tuition fee loan they need to confirm the amount they want to borrow on the Loan Request Form.

Maintenance Funding Year 1 The student can apply for a Full Means Tested Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants, They are not eligible for a Maintenance Grant.

Years 2-4 The student can apply for the Income Assessed*NHS Bursary*and Supplementary Grants from the NHS. They can only apply to SFE for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

If they are studying a Graduate Entry Medical course that is 5 years long then this will be funded in the same way as an Undergraduate Entry Medical or Dental Course.

Hello,

Thank you for this, that all sounds really promising. This is the first time I’ve seen anything about part funding for tuition fees, I’ve always seen that it is all or nothing. Can you please confirm that NHS bursary comes into play from year 2 for BMBS Medicine because on the NHS websites it says only from year 5?

Thank you for your help.
Original post by Kimpy
Hello,

Thank you for this, that all sounds really promising. This is the first time I’ve seen anything about part funding for tuition fees, I’ve always seen that it is all or nothing. Can you please confirm that NHS bursary comes into play from year 2 for BMBS Medicine because on the NHS websites it says only from year 5?

Thank you for your help.

Hi there,

Yes the NHS bursary will come into play from the 2nd year onwards.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

Yes the NHS bursary will come into play from the 2nd year onwards.

Thanks, Drew

Thanks for your reply.

The gov.uk website says that the NHS bursary comes in years 2-4 with a 4 year Graduate entry accelerated medicine degree, but only year 5 on an undergraduate 5 year medicine degree. This degree I am starting is 5 years undergrad. So if what you are saying is correct, this must be a very new rule?

I would really like to understand how the rules apply to me as I don’t yet know if I will need to fully self fund 4 years of my degree or none of it. Since I have been accepted already I am trying to get to the accurate information I need to be able to financially plan ahead.

Thank you
Hi there,

In the 5th and subsequent years of study you are entitled to an income assessed*NHS Bursary*and therefore, the reduced rate of maintenance loan only from Student Finance.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending