The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Tnacilppa
Frankly I think these cultures which force people (especially women) into arranged marriages are evil. People should be born free, live free and die free. Marriage in itself is in many ways an oppressive institution - all the more so for those who who are forced into it.

Adam

hehehe think before posting, not only women are forced into anything. Why don´t you for a second forget the cliche and look at the facts? As I said, usually men make a proposal which the woman can accept or not. And the pressure from the parents should be the same for both of them.
grace
i hafta say that i agree with my dear lil lime cat on this one.

You like limecat, how lovely. :smile:

*limecat is content*
Reply 82
bono
You like limecat, how lovely. :smile:

*limecat is content*

i've always loved limecat! He puts a smile on my face whenever i see him!
Reply 83
grace
i've always loved limecat! He puts a smile on my face whenever i see him!

yes, well, you are a fake blond, its what we expect.
Reply 84
curryADD
yes, well, you are a fake blond, its what we expect.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my, wat the hell is ur problem?! Hahaha, so having highlights makes me fake, well dear i'm afraid u have no way of finding out wat my natural hair colour is, sorry but i won't afford you that privelage. And yes, i admire the lil lime kitty because bono seems sweet and his posts are usually intelligent and worth reading. Btw, blonde is spelt with an e on the end.
Reply 85
grace
LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my, wat the hell is ur problem?! Hahaha, so having highlights makes me fake, well dear i'm afraid u have no way of finding out wat my natural hair colour is, sorry but i won't afford you that privelage. And yes, i admire the lil lime kitty because bono seems sweet and his posts are usually intelligent and worth reading. Btw, blonde is spelt with an e on the end.

Ooh shes sharpening her nails and kissing bonos ares. Two things at once. therefore she can't be a natural blonde
Reply 86
bazippit
Ooh shes sharpening her nails and kissing bonos ares. Two things at once. therefore she can't be a natural blonde

not at all! I'm not trying to sharpen my nails, i'm not like that, i just think it's funny because for some reason she seems to have a problem with me. I don't mind, i've done nothing wrong! And i'm not kissing his ass, but i do think he's one of the more worthwhile members of this forum.
Reply 87
grace

not in america
Reply 88
bazippit

i would have to agree with you on this one.
Reply 89
curryADD
not in america

funny because i was born in america and lived there most of my life, and we certainly always spelt it with an e
Reply 90
grace
funny because i was born in america and lived there most of my life, and we certainly always spelt it with an e

funny, because i was also, and i never saw it spelled with an e until i took french.
Reply 91
curryADD
funny, because i was also, and i never saw it spelled with an e until i took french.

oop, and i just looked it up in websters and i was right.
Reply 92
curryADD
oop, and i just looked it up in websters and i was right.

aw well, i'll back down then, you win. But we always spelt it with an e.
Reply 93
grace
aw well, i'll back down then, you win. But we always spelt it with an e.

to bad you were wrong when you spelt it with an e. *shakes head*
Reply 94
curryADD
to bad you were wrong when you spelt it with an e. *shakes head*

no dear i wasn't wrong when i spelt it with an e, considering the fact that standard English is to put an e on the end, and i am in england, i'm actually correct. I was wrong in assuming that america also follows the same practice, just because i learnt it with an e when i lived there.
Reply 95
grace
no dear i wasn't wrong when i spelt it with an e, considering the fact that standard English is to put an e on the end, and i am in england, i'm actually correct. I was wrong in assuming that america also follows the same practice, just because i learnt it with an e when i lived there.

The 'e' is for females.
Reply 96
ZJuwelH
The 'e' is for females.

really? i never knew that! Well as i'm a female i was still right (to some extent)
Reply 97
ZJuwelH
The 'e' is for females.

Yup, and even in Britain it's "blond" for males. (one of my pet peeves, I'm afraid)
Reply 98
Some people here have no idea what an arranged marriage is like so how can you possibly judge.

I think alot of the people who think the whole thing is shocking would change their mind if they witnessed the whole arranged marriage process. The for the massive majority of people who have an arranged marriage there is nothing forced!!

Its more like being introduced to people through through somekind of association like your aunty used to live next door to a family with someone who might get on with you. It's like match making with a view to getting married, but only if the parents and two individuals getting married all agree!

Watch "Keeping the Faith", it's like the part when Ben Stiller is surrounded by people introducing their daughters.

It's just plain ignorance if you think the whole thing is wrong.

Forced marriages are shocking but they have nothing to do with arranged marriages.
Mad Caddie
Is it more cultural or religious?

only indian muslims have arraned marriages...probably because of the hindu influence.

Latest

Trending

Trending