The Student Room Group

Warwick vs LSE

Poll

LSE, Warwick, or SOAS

A hoot, a holler, and a howdy, y'all...Jak here; long time reader - first time poster...

I’ve been offered a place at Warwick on their MA International Relations course for autumn this year. I was, and still am, delighted to have been made such an offer but this is where it gets interesting...Just this morning I had a surprise mail from the good folks over at LSE. Seems they have given me an unconditional offer to study for their MSc Global Politics come September. This I thought was never on the cards as I’m only too aware of how strict the admissions criteria are in London town.

Now the fees are drastically different, LSE is going to end up costing me about £25,000 including fees and accommodation etc, whereas Warwick will more than likely be half of that, let’s say £15,000 max.

Reputation-wise I’d say LSE gets the nod there but there is very little in it, right? Warwick being such a young university is only gaining affections worldwide as the years pass. League tables show Warwick as the better university but I’m sceptical of these anyway. They are both generally top 5 by anyone’s standard anyway which is good enough for me, and prospective employers I’m sure.

Hailing from Leeds, which is arguably the entertainment capital outside of London, I’m not really looking to go 'Buck Wild' during my time away. Warwick would be more than adequate for my toned down social life. The SU, and Leamington’s high end bars would most likely meet requirements. The London nightlife would possibly be wasted on me. Post grads should be studying in any case, leave the partying to the Year 1's n 2's.

But LSE is LSE, after all. The admissions pack they sent was impressive; even included an LSE magazine "for alumni of the London School of Econ...". They certainly know how to get your juices flowing!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jak

PS - I’m awaiting a reply from SOAS btw...that’s when the shizer will really hit the fan!
i don't know anything about international relations or global politics or the rankings in them, but i were you and everything else except the cost and reputation of the university are equal, then i'd take up the one with more reputation. you'll surely earn back the extra 10000 pounds you're going to spend once you come out of LSE.

at least that's what i am going to do - i have an unconditional offer for a different programme at warwick, and a conditional offer at lse, and i've decided to take up lse.
Reply 2
An extra 10,000 pounds for the "reputation"? I'm not so sure ... Warwick is not exactly very lacking in the reputation compartment either. Just my 2 cents :wink:
Reply 3
If we are comparing them by campuses, my choice will be Warwick actually they are academically same I think but LSE's reputation is all about
Reply 4
I would recommend LSE. It is ranked as one of the 'top tier' univerisities by major companies and investment banks, along with Oxbridge and Imperial, whereas Warwick is not. Although I think that both universitites are equally good, but unfortunately the reality is that it is not up to you to say it, it is what the companies perceive. I am sure that the quality of both universities are equally good, but the problem is that LSE is more competitive and thus those who get in are more likely to be better than the other university - more like a selection factor for the elite, if you see what i mean. I would go for LSE if you get a place.
Reply 5
Thank you all for your input. I must say I am actually no further down the line of actually making a decision! Id always thought it would be the actual application process which would be the difficult bit, and any YES from SOAS, LSE, or Warwick would be a bonus. Boy was I wrong!

LSE has the reputation, but Warwick seems so fresh and the "US style" campus is second only to Nottinghams I hear. Money is obviously a factor but you know when it comes down to matters of education youll find the money somehow. Ill sell my car if I need to! Cant drive the bugger in London anyway!

Anyhoo...thanks again for your words. Ill be sure to post again when ive reached a decision.

cheerio!
Reply 6
Mind you Warwick uni is actually located in Coventry. It is not the most exciting place to be in, and it is not for me to say but my friends who study there find it somewhat boring. Apparently this makes them concentrate quite well on the studies! Whereas London is so much fun... you are never cofined to your own college or campus, there is so much to offer that you can never get bored. I think in terms of both reputation and the environment, LSE wins.
JakofHearts

Anyhoo...thanks again for your words. Ill be sure to post again when ive reached a decision.
cheerio!

all the best!! and hope you get into SOAS as well (to add to your woes:biggrin: )

Latest

Trending

Trending