The Student Room Group

Tip for making myself look older

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
its much harder for boys:frown: we cant wear make-up or anything... unless they're that way inclined
Super_D
its much harder for boys:frown: we cant wear make-up or anything... unless they're that way inclined

You could go to a plastic surgeon and get some wrinkles put in, and your legs stretched (if you're short), they do it by breaking your legs, and pulling them apart at the break so bones will grow in between the break making them longer.

----------------------

Ok, on another point, for the girls, dont go too risque or loud, go with something more subtle and sophisticated, it will definately make you look older (more mature at least). It works for makeup as well as clothes, just act calm, and think to yourself that you are 18. Oh and if you're really desperate you could have the surgery.:p:
Owwwwwwwwwwww....breaking legs,noooo. (Sorry, I have a bone and muscle thing...at least it's not arms!)

Def. agree with the subtle, sophisticated look, and not trying too hard - you want to make yourself look as you're not worried that anyone will question your age (perhaps more applicable to going out etc)

Generally, I think that having shorter hair in a flattering style will really help - you don't have to go way short, but having long straight one-length hair makes you look shorter and i think makes most people look younger; judging by the 'do guys prefer short or long hair?' thread it's a common attitude that having short hair makes you look butch, which it doesn't; so having a shorter hairstyle possibly indicates that you're confident enough about yourself and your femininity to go for short hair; an attitude that's generally seen as more mature. I have short hair and I'm almost never IDed (though not drinking might help that) I've also never been turned away from any film, even when I was def. too young for them.

I'm sure I'll get lots of indignant replies from people with long hair saying they look older than their age; I'm not saying it definitely makes you look younger, it depends on the person and it;s not the only factor, but having short hair (in the right style, you don' t want to get it wrong and be mistaken for a 12-year-old boy!) can help in some cases.

Hope that made sense.:smile:
also it helps if you are with people who are older than you

sorry I couldn't resist

Go to a stylist hairdressers and tell them you want something professional looking
tritogeneia1
Owwwwwwwwwwww....breaking legs,noooo. (Sorry, I have a bone and muscle thing...at least it's not arms!)

Def. agree with the subtle, sophisticated look, and not trying too hard - you want to make yourself look as you're not worried that anyone will question your age (perhaps more applicable to going out etc)

Generally, I think that having shorter hair in a flattering style will really help - you don't have to go way short, but having long straight one-length hair makes you look shorter and i think makes most people look younger; judging by the 'do guys prefer short or long hair?' thread it's a common attitude that having short hair makes you look butch, which it doesn't; so having a shorter hairstyle possibly indicates that you're confident enough about yourself and your femininity to go for short hair; an attitude that's generally seen as more mature. I have short hair and I'm almost never IDed (though not drinking might help that) I've also never been turned away from any film, even when I was def. too young for them.

I'm sure I'll get lots of indignant replies from people with long hair saying they look older than their age; I'm not saying it definitely makes you look younger, it depends on the person and it;s not the only factor, but having short hair (in the right style, you don' t want to get it wrong and be mistaken for a 12-year-old boy!) can help in some cases.

Hope that made sense.:smile:

Yes, I also think gentle curls (sorta wavy ish), with subtle highlights. If you're not natural blonde don't go blonde, go for a more subtle colour.
Reply 27
whoever said going with older people helps is right, also if you walk in on ur own rather than with a group of people that also seemed to help :smile:
For the guys, if you have a short stubble, and longer hair it seems to make you older.
well well weel what can i say... am twenty in december and people think im only 15/16 when dressed normally.. when i go out to clubs etc i dont have problems with id MADNESS EH
Reply 30
If you're a girl, 16+, you'll most likely get in however you look. That's just the way it is.
for a ..um largish (well size 14/16) girl like myself, would a corset make me look any slimmer? :p:

until i shed the pounds i need something!
Reply 32
xXMessedUpXx
for a ..um largish (well size 14/16) girl like myself, would a corset make me look any slimmer? :p:

until i shed the pounds i need something!

People will probably be able to tell that you're wearing a corset, because you will be cinched in at the waist. You'll look slimmer at the waist (mostly because your waist will be compressed by 2-4 inches) but nowhere else.

The above is an example of lacing so tight that it no longer looks anywhere natural and draws more attention to the width of her arms. You might want to just go 2 inches smaller than natural for a finish without lumps and bumps and a pretty hourglass shape.
Oh christ that pic is scary :eek:
Reply 34
Get your hair cut into a layered choppy bob, thats longer at the front than the back, thats what we do for the people who come into college for a hair cut who want to look older, it always works!
Reply 35
Mata
People will probably be able to tell that you're wearing a corset, because you will be cinched in at the waist. You'll look slimmer at the waist (mostly because your waist will be compressed by 2-4 inches) but nowhere else.

The above is an example of lacing so tight that it no longer looks anywhere natural and draws more attention to the width of her arms. You might want to just go 2 inches smaller than natural for a finish without lumps and bumps and a pretty hourglass shape.

Argh that picture looks sooo painful, she must not be able to breath!!!!!
Is that photo real? or has someone been at it with photoshop
beth...
Argh that picture looks sooo painful, she must not be able to breath!!!!!

hence the pained expression...oh wait, thats just her usual gormless look
Reply 38
That picture of Kelly Osbourne is not flattering - her chest looks disproportionately huge ..... its like Jordan's breeding

noooooo
Mata

She gone for the wrong type of corset. Design of that one is like a pipestem, which is too short, it is designed to nip in the waist at that place. A normal corset (that is one without a pipestem) are designed to curve in more gently. Go to Axfords and look at the corsets there, that is how a normal, non tightlacing corset is shaped, a pipestem is specifically for tightlacing.

Oh and if a corset if fitted properly it will not hurt, and will provide good support, although some breathing space is given up, it is still possible to breathe.

Quick Reply

Latest