The Student Room Group

End of iraq war

END OF IRAQ WAR Finally....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16190399

I think they finally realised they got all the oil they could (still drilling) and realised that "oh damn we're in $17 trillion debt from our pointless wars that don't actually have weapons of mass destruction"
That they finally decided to pull out.

Views?

Why didn’t the U.S. instigate a "regime change" when Idi Amin was killing thousands of his own black people in Uganda in the 1970s? Why didn’t the U.S. instigate a "regime change" when the Tutsis were slaughtered by the Hutu government of Rwanda in 1994? Would things have been different if Sudan, Indonesia, Zimbabwe, Cuba, Uganda, and Rwanda had significant oil reserves?

These sobering facts, unknown to Americans who get all their news from ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, FOX, and CNBC, should cause every citizen, and especially every Christian, to question the motives of the state the next time it is insisted that we should invade another country. They should also cause all Americans to question the necessity of the United States maintaining 184 military bases in over 100 countries around the world. For religious people, God never appointed the United States to be the world’s policeman.

Is anyone reading the above before they say it's not just for oil ?
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You really think it's about the oil? For the cost of the war, they could have just bought it.
Reply 2
Still fishing for neg eh?

The war hasn't ended, UK and US have just let the debate go cold and pulled out when they could.
Reply 3
They should be ashamed of themselves, didn't even find any weapons of mass destruction.
Reply 4
Original post by Craig_D
You really think it's about the oil? For the cost of the war, they could have just bought it.

Wow just wow. *shock* :facepalm:

Original post by chrislpp
Still fishing for neg eh?

The war hasn't ended, UK and US have just let the debate go cold and pulled out when they could.

Are you for real? Read my spoiler. Have you even seen the video or read my post fully.
Reply 5
Original post by sam-dent
They should be ashamed of themselves, didn't even find any weapons of mass destruction.

Finally a normal person. :smile:
Reply 6
For the money they spent they could have just bribed the oil out of Saddam. And when you look at what they got with regards to oil (check the links) its pretty stupid to say the war was just oil
The pull out method is very effective.

It just has a chance of leaving some residue.
Reply 8
Original post by HARRY PUTAH

and with Obama making the morning after pill less readily available this residue may now be leading to many more unplanned pregnancies...
Stable? Stable my arse :tongue: I don't really understand why America invaded. If it wanted the oil, as has been said they could have bought it for less than the cost of the war. If they wanted to kick out a nasty regime and advance democracy, why didn't they invade myanmar or libya or north korea or zimbabwe or belarus or iran? If they were after Al-Qaeda, why didn't they go to Pakistan or Afghanistan or Yemen or Somalia? It seems to me that the Iraq war was down to the paranoia of Dick Cheney and George Bush being too stupid to stop Cheney getting his way.
Reply 10

Yeah about time.
Reply 11
also the war was over years ago, they only brought their troops home today. It was the UN's decision in Rwanda, not America alone - besides the fact several other western nations didn't intervene (including the UK) yet you conveniently forget that.
Yes, the US could have just paid Iraq for the oil but they're not one to admit that they were wrong and they have big egos to feed
Original post by de_monies
Yes, the US could have just paid Iraq for the oil but they're not one to admit that they were wrong and they have big egos to feed

The US isn't a person. It's made up of several individuals plus lobby groups/corporations. Emotions would've been on check with so many different people having a say. If they wanted oil from Iraq, they would've made a plan to secure it. A plan that would look at all the different ways they could secure the oil and probably do a cost-benefit analysis. Considering Russia + China benefited from oil more than the US, I find it very hard to jump on the "did it for the oil" bandwagon. So, what evidence do you have access to that suggests they did it for the oil? Now, remember I'm asking you the question and not stating why they did, simply questioning your reasons as to why they did it.
Reply 14
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
The US isn't a person. It's made up of several individuals plus lobby groups/corporations. Emotions would've been on check with so many different people having a say. If they wanted oil from Iraq, they would've made a plan to secure it. A plan that would look at all the different ways they could secure the oil and probably do a cost-benefit analysis. Considering Russia + China benefited from oil more than the US, I find it very hard to jump on the "did it for the oil" bandwagon. So, what evidence do you have access to that suggests they did it for the oil? Now, remember I'm asking you the question and not stating why they did, simply questioning your reasons as to why they did it.

Contradiction?
Original post by blueray

Original post by blueray
Contradiction?

No. Looool. I am not providing reasons as to why they did only questioning his. How is that a contradiction?
Reply 16

No. Looool. I am not providing reasons as to why they did only questioning his. How is that a contradiction?

No worries.
Reply 17
Original post by blueray
Wow just wow. *shock* :facepalm:

Something you'd like to say?
Reply 18
I am of the belief they went in for the oil. The US thought with shock and awe tactics it would be an easy operation and they could gain "fair access" to the oil. They didn't count on fighting a resurgence for years and years which caused the cost of war to escalate massively. If they didn't have to linger for so long maybe they could have got the oil on the cheap.
Reply 19
17k private contractors remain in Iraq.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending