The Student Room Group

G4S 2012 Olympics Job

Scroll to see replies

any one here offered managerial role
Reply 3241
Original post by its_clairex
Hey Ive been deployed to Hadleigh farm....can anybody tell me where the check in area is! G4S havnt told me and im slightly panacking! and who has got accomodation down there!?

Hey im working at hadleigh farm from monday. No idea where check in area but theres only one entrance/exit so just follow people or ask someone. Havent got accomodation there as i live 10 mins away :smile:
Original post by yennibubs
I'm sure you could just leave early? Lol. Noone gonna stop you :tongue: Noone even knows what's on each others schedules to be fair.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300

True. Although my venue was one of the smaller ones and everyone was either on day or night time so they knew and you have de-breifing so I'm not sure how well it will work just walking out
btw are people at Lords in uniform or not? G4S can't give me a certain answer
After your licence being approved by the SIA, how long does it take to receive the ID through the post?
Original post by al_habib
I was in london training Door Supervisor when my documents were thoroughly checked by g4s, then sent for SIA. it has been almost three weeks now, do you know how to track application.

Enter ur details here. click on go to the status checker

http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/licensing-status-checker.aspx

hope this helps
Reply 3246
So I had a phone call this afternoon from a blocked number, asking my availability. He said full time is 3 days, 3 nights and 3 off. After hearing some of the horror stories on here I said to him that I'd rather do part time, so around 4 shifts a week. He said the shifts are mainly 12 hours but there are some 5 hours shifts but most of these are taken now... I said I'd obviously prefer the 5 hour shifts!
So he said he was gonna try to sort my shifts out and get back to me in around 15 minutes, I'm still waiting for that phone call back.....
Reply 3247
Original post by Elle408
It's £8.50 for all SIA, no one would work for £6.08 with a badge outside of London! I get paid more than that as a steward! (Which incidentally, is what the £6.08 is for, stewards, although at my initial interview in November, G4S said they wouldn't be hiring stewards as everyone had to be licensed.)

Anyone have any experience with the Manchester accreditation pick-up? I'm planning on heading there tomorrow, but then have to go straight to work so I don't have more than an hour or two to queue! Also, do we get uniform from Old Trafford? And Oyster cards? I'm more than happy to turn up to a venue and demand work (lol) but need all my bits and pieces first!

Oh and also, My ESS says 'Door Supervisor' and nothing more... Does this mean I haven't even been assigned a role yet?

I see G4S security in the village without a license. Most look very young.

You could be guarding the toilets as some did today in the welcome centre.
Don't laugh but...

My uniform trousers don't fit, and I'm not spending £10 to get to London to change them. What would happen if I turned up in jeans on my first shift? I'd wear the rest of it, just not these grim trousers! They're massive on the legs! Have they not heard of Slim Fit!?!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3249
Original post by dg2009
I see G4S security in the village without a license. Most look very young.

You could be guarding the toilets as some did today in the welcome centre.

they did it with 'bridging the gap' which was for students. Their all SIA exempt
Reply 3250
Original post by rsp2009
So I had a phone call this afternoon from a blocked number, asking my availability. He said full time is 3 days, 3 nights and 3 off. After hearing some of the horror stories on here I said to him that I'd rather do part time, so around 4 shifts a week. He said the shifts are mainly 12 hours but there are some 5 hours shifts but most of these are taken now... I said I'd obviously prefer the 5 hour shifts!
So he said he was gonna try to sort my shifts out and get back to me in around 15 minutes, I'm still waiting for that phone call back.....

You should have taken couple of duties and later change according to ur need.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 3251
Original post by rsp2009

You should have taken couple of your duties and later changed according to your needs.

Reply 3252
Original post by jubrilaya
After your licence being approved by the SIA, how long does it take to receive the ID through the post?

I got mine in 3 days.

Reply 3253
Original post by GuitarWizard
btw are people at Lords in uniform or not? G4S can't give me a certain answer

Yes..they are in uniform.

Original post by H.Maleki
they did it with 'bridging the gap' which was for students. Their all SIA exempt

Turns out we're not, several of the roles we do need SIA licenses after all, thank you G4S and LOCOG for not consulting each others guide lines, pricks.
Original post by al_habib
I was in london training Door Supervisor when my documents were thoroughly checked by g4s, then sent for SIA. it has been almost three weeks now, do you know how to track application.

http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/licensing-status-checker.aspx :smile:
Original post by Jamielawrence1945
Don't laugh but...

My uniform trousers don't fit, and I'm not spending £10 to get to London to change them. What would happen if I turned up in jeans on my first shift? I'd wear the rest of it, just not these grim trousers! They're massive on the legs! Have they not heard of Slim Fit!?!?

You have to wear full uniform. You'll have to get used to looking like an idiot :smile: lol. I am only partly satisfied with the polo myself, nothing else. But oh well...

Original post by yennibubs
You have to wear full uniform. You'll have to get used to looking like an idiot :smile: lol. I am only partly satisfied with the polo myself, nothing else. But oh well...

Hmmmm... Even though the waist is slightly too small and the legs are HUGE!?!?

Reply 3258
Original post by marakanti
Hi does anyone knoe how we receive the sia badge through post/courier ?

Unfortunately we get through normal royal mail. SIA did send some documents but it was lost by royal mail. I am now writing separately, requesting them to chase up. Fortunately, I have my license with me.
Original post by Jamielawrence1945
Hmmmm... Even though the waist is slightly too small and the legs are HUGE!?!?

Yep. I look horrible too. Everything is too big, but once you get to your venue and see everyone else around in the same outfit then its ok....... until you start making your way home again, lol.
Wear a belt and you'll probably have a jacket that covers the waist of your trousers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending