The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature B 12th January 2012

Hello!,
Is anyone taking the AQA English literature spec B exam on the 12th january 2012, i was wondering if there are any predictions for the questions on section B that may come up?

Scroll to see replies

I'm retaking this exam as well.

Possibly openings, because that's never come up before. But we all predicted that for the summer and then the questions were the worst possible in section B, so who knows really...
Reply 2
im retaking too! do you have any revison tips? what texts are you studying?
Reply 3
I'm doing : The Kite Runner, Pride and Predjudice WH. Auden for section B and The rime of the Ancient Mariner for section A

well, i dont really have any tips but all i would say is that i realised the mistake i was making the previous times i sat the exam was that i wasnt referring back to the question and especially for section B i hadnt mentioned the Building blocks of narratives and made my points clear.

Fruthermore, just keep in mind your assessment objectives for each question make sure to refer back to the question.

Anyone doing the ancient mariner for section A? what part do you reckon will come up?
Reply 4
Original post by TheatreLovely
I'm retaking this exam as well.

Possibly openings, because that's never come up before. But we all predicted that for the summer and then the questions were the worst possible in section B, so who knows really...

yes.. Probably that or voices? either one of them has to come up since they havent come up yet.. what books are you studying?
Original post by just.wondering
yes.. Probably that or voices? either one of them has to come up since they havent come up yet.. what books are you studying?

Oooh a question on voices would be good.

I'm doing Gatsby, Rossetti, Mariner and Birdsong. I have never ever seen anyone else, except for at my school, doing Birdsong. Do we have any texts in common?
Reply 6
Hi guys!
I'm retaking this exam and am starting to get very panicked...
Is anyone doing Tennyson? I am really struggling to analyse Godiva, and because I'm doing Tennyson for Section A I'm worried in case it comes up!

I can't find anything on the internet, and I don't have my notes on Godiva anymore :frown: (long story!)
So does anyone have any notes on Godiva that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Also, my teacher has predicted (and she's been right for the past 3 years!) that CONTRAST will be the section B question..
Does anyone know if there are only a certain amounts of things the examiners can use for Section B, or could they do the question on pretty much anything.
Does anyone have any examples of things that can come up, apart from the past questions?

Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by TheatreLovely
Oooh a question on voices would be good.

I'm doing Gatsby, Rossetti, Mariner and Birdsong. I have never ever seen anyone else, except for at my school, doing Birdsong. Do we have any texts in common?

The ancient mariner? - what tex tare you doung for section A? iknw, i actually havent even heard of bridsong before
I did Birdsong, I hate it, what did you think about it?
Original post by paigums
Hi guys!
I'm retaking this exam and am starting to get very panicked...
Is anyone doing Tennyson? I am really struggling to analyse Godiva, and because I'm doing Tennyson for Section A I'm worried in case it comes up!

I can't find anything on the internet, and I don't have my notes on Godiva anymore :frown: (long story!)
So does anyone have any notes on Godiva that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Also, my teacher has predicted (and she's been right for the past 3 years!) that CONTRAST will be the section B question..

I know the feeling! I'm doing Tennyson aswell and didn't get taught it very well. I'm just going to do it for my section B instead.
Reply 11
Original post by Laurenfrances
I know the feeling! I'm doing Tennyson aswell and didn't get taught it very well. I'm just going to do it for my section B instead.

:frown:
What are you doing for section A instead of Tennyson?
Original post by Laurenfrances
I did Birdsong, I hate it, what did you think about it?

I really like it, it's just very difficult to use in the exam because of how long it is. Plus we didn't get taught it in the context of the AOs, so it's quite hard having to go through and find all the quotes for yourself that relate to this.
Reply 13
Hey guys,
I am studying Browning and Hardy for poetry,
Enduring Love and Curious Incident for literature.

Is there any way of guessing which poems might be asked for Hardy or Browning? And also any way of guessing which sort of question will be in section B.

Struggling revision here, would appreciate the help!:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by louiejacob
Hey guys,
I am studying Browning and Hardy for poetry,
Enduring Love and Curious Incident for literature.

Is there any way of guessing which poems might be asked for Hardy or Browning? And also any way of guessing which sort of question will be in section B.

Struggling revision here, would appreciate the help!:smile:

Look through all the past papers. I think there's been 6 papers? I think there's 6 Browning poems which presumably have all been covered... if say there had only been 5 past papers then you may have been able to guess at what might come up.
I'm doing Tennyson and I looked at all the past papers and discovered that only Part 3 (i think) from the Lady of Shallot had been asked, so I'm guessing that seeing as all the other Tennyson poems have been asked, they might ask Part 1/2/4 of Lady of Shallot. You see? :smile:
So maybe for Browning they might have already asked all poems apart from Part 3 of Pied Piper, for example....
Sorry, hope that ramble helped a little!
Reply 15
Quick question.
For Section A(i) do we still offer different interpretations, and can we link to other texts? For example I've found a connection between Tithonus and Lady of Shallot, so in my answer would it be worthwhile mentioning this link and the connotations it produces and therefore the effect on readers?
Reply 16
Section A(i) asks only for AO2 marks. Which is form language and structure. So I don't think credit would be given for that. Comparing and contrasting texts usually comes up in section B. Thanks for your help though paigums!

I was going to check all past papers and try and notice if any poems hadn't been asked, I just wasn't sure if that means the poem which I find will definitely come up :redface:
Reply 17
Can somebody also help me out with the reason for certain rhyme schemes. For example:
In 'The Patriot', Browning decided to include a rhyme scheme of ABABA. The purpose of this was to...

I wouldn't know what to say after that.
Reply 18
Can somebody also help me out with the reason for certain rhyme schemes. For example:
In 'The Patriot', Browning decided to include a rhyme scheme of ABABA. The purpose of this was to...

I wouldn't know what to say after that.

I'm stuck on this too! I can't find anything on the Internet to help me though.
I guess that the even, constant rhythm paired with stanza's of equal length reflects the continuum of time? It never ceases. Time is also mentioned at the end of each stanza highlighting its importance.

I don't know if that's right. I hate The Patriot! Hopefully someone else will put forward their ideas!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 19
Section A(i) asks only for AO2 marks. Which is form language and structure. So I don't think credit would be given for that. Comparing and contrasting texts usually comes up in section B. Thanks for your help though paigums!

I was going to check all past papers and try and notice if any poems hadn't been asked, I just wasn't sure if that means the poem which I find will definitely come up :redface:

Thankyou!! Yeah I was going to say, if you find one poem hasn't come up yet don't count on it definitely appearing. They're more likely to try and trick you!
One more quick question!

Again referring to Section A(i). In the Lady of Shallot Lancelot says "Tirra Lirra". Tirra Lirra is the song of the lark in English poetry. The lark is a symbol of freedom, and so Lancelot is presented as free.

Do you think this still fits the criteria of AO2 or is it verging on being too contextual?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending