The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, just wondering u guys what u think of magdalen oriel and christ church? How is the offsite accomodation especially??
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Thank you for replying :smile: I will decide when the time is closer and after I have done more research :smile:

Just saying if I do get those grades, it will be the highest grades the school has ever got and will be the one with the highest grade in my year group! Does this change anything?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should improve your odds since grades are seen in context, but I'm still very hesitant to say you should therefore apply to Oxford for Medicine because very, very few people with that grade profile will ever be admitted. The emphasis on GCSEs, especially at the shortlisting stage, unfortunately really doesn't work in your favour, and given how competitive Medicine admissions is, you really do want to maximize your odds at all 4 choices.

Perhaps you could email the Medical School ([email protected]) once you have your grades and ask them about your chances in light of your school. They are probably best placed to advise on whether you'd make a competitive application.
Original post by square_peg
The statistics may say this, but individual cases are different, and applications considered holistically. The acceptance rate is already low, even for people with many A*s, and a LOT more goes into an application than their GCSEs, such as admissions tests, interviews, personal statement, and personal circumstances. Was just letting the poster know that I know several medics with Bs and Cs and that in my personal opinion, it it worth considering applying :smile:

Hi, this isn't literally specific to oxford. But does a retake at GCSE to get an A* from an A, put you at any disadvantage when applying for medicine anywhere? Even if you get top A level grades?
Original post by mishieru07
They are probably best placed to advise on whether you'd make a competitive application.

Not really tbh. They have a large incentive to tell you everything is fine (they get an extra applicant who, you never know, might get 100% in the BMAT and get admitted) and no incentive to consider the candidates risk of getting 4 rejections. Plus they wouldn't want to risk a 'state school wonderkid told he can't possibly get into Oxford' story. I think the stats are the most objective data to base the decision on, and unless Oxford can produce specific data on for example the %success rate of state-comp applicants with x number of A*s, I'd be cautious in interpreting what they say.
About the SoftEng Msc at Oxford:

1- Can you walk me through the application process?
2- There are any differences between a full time vs part time master?
3- I saw the entry requirements and there arent any references to grades... Is there a pre existing condition regarding minimum grades to get admitted to the SoftEng MSc (part-time)?
4- Can you describe the classes and the environment in the classes (number of students, age of students, etc)?
5- What is the difference between the CS MSc, the SoftEng Msc and the Software and Systems Security MSc? Which one is more complete?
6- Is possible to have a full time job (40h/week) while attending the SoftEng MSc?
Original post by vascobailao
About the SoftEng Msc at Oxford:

1- Can you walk me through the application process?
2- There are any differences between a full time vs part time master?
3- I saw the entry requirements and there arent any references to grades... Is there a pre existing condition regarding minimum grades to get admitted to the SoftEng MSc (part-time)?
4- Can you describe the classes and the environment in the classes (number of students, age of students, etc)?
5- What is the difference between the CS MSc, the SoftEng Msc and the Software and Systems Security MSc? Which one is more complete?
6- Is possible to have a full time job (40h/week) while attending the SoftEng MSc?

I just do engineering at Ox but I don't think they do part-time degrees here
How would you grade magdalen oriel and christchurch out of 10 in the following:
OFFSITE accomodation
Rowing
Feeling
Formals
Thanks!
Original post by Ayman19
How would you grade magdalen oriel and christchurch out of 10 in the following:
OFFSITE accomodation
Rowing
Feeling
Formals
Thanks!

I'm not trying to be rude, but you do appear to ask this same question quite frequently in different threads... The bottom line is that everybody will have their own feelings about a college - there might be aspects of a college that one person really likes, another really dislikes and a third is pretty ambivalent towards. Your best bet would be to come and visit on an open day to get a feel for colleges if you have the opportunity to do so. Most students invariably love the college that they're at (whether they applied there or not) and there's also no guarantee that somebody will have a fully-informed opinion on a college that they don't attend.

But anyway to your questions:
1. Offsite accommodation - how these grade will vary, but again it depends on what you are looking for. JCR and college websites might have some information and pictures on these, and you might have the opportunity to look on an open day. There are college threads on here that you could post to but there might not be anybody from the colleges online...
2. Rowing - I was never a rower myself, but all colleges will have rowing clubs, and if you're in the M1 or W1 boats, you're bound to train equally in all colleges. I believe some colleges are historically (or at least claim to be) more successful than others but that doesn't mean that other colleges are not worth applying for. I can remember Christ Church and Oriel both being head of the river at some point, and if you're really interested you can check the results from the Christ Church Regatta (http://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/current-students/oliver-wyman-christ-church-regatta), Torpids and Summer Eights (http://www.ourcs.org.uk/racing/index).
3. Feeling - this is entirely subjective. In my opinion, Magdalen and Christ Church seem grander than Oriel, however, that's only because the quads seem bigger. Oriel has less open space, but that's not to say that it's small in any way. Others might argue that they might feel less cosy and are more imposing. Again, it's something only you can decide.
4. Formals - I've only ever been to Christ Church and Magdalen formals. In ChCh, our official 'formal' sittings were every night, and in fact aren't particularly formal at all. The food is the same as informal, and the only differences are that latin grace is read and you are required to wear your gown. Smart dress isn't really enforced so you can rock up in shorts and flip flops if you'd like. However, we do have 'guest dinners' twice a term which are most equivalent to what other colleges would call formals. These are black tie events serving fancy food where you don't need your gowns, and every student is guaranteed to attend at least one in a year if they'd like to. You *might* be able to find information on menus etc for these if you look on JCR websites, but there's no guarantee.

I would say, though, personally, I would try to not get too hung up on a college. You should definitely consider applying to one that you have a preference for, but statistically, many applicants are allocated to a different college before interview invitations are given out. And even then, if offered a place to study, there is no guarantee that the offer will come from the colleges where you were interviewed anyway.
Thanks!!! I had to keep asking this becuase no one boyhered to answer!!
Original post by Ayman19
Thanks!!! I had to keep asking this becuase no one boyhered to answer!!

I know how it feels. Lol. This happened to me today on another thread.

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
Hi all, I'm planning on applying to Oxford for French and Arabic (i.e. for European and Middle Eastern Languages) and was wondering if
- anyone else is applying for French and Arabic
- anyone else has applied for French and Arabic
- if anyone has done the MLAT or the OLAT

Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Hi all, I'm planning on applying to Oxford for French and Arabic (i.e. for European and Middle Eastern Languages) and was wondering if
- anyone else is applying for French and Arabic
- anyone else has applied for French and Arabic
- if anyone has done the MLAT or the OLAT

Thank you :biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking. What GCSEs are you applying with ? Thanks.

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
If you don't mind me asking. What GCSEs are you applying with ? Thanks.

English Language A*
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
French A*
Art A*
Religious Studies A*
English Lit A
Further Maths A
Music A

All IGCSEs except Art and RS which were GCSEs.
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
English Language A*
Maths A*
Biology A*
Chemistry A*
French A*
Art A*
Religious Studies A*
English Lit A
Further Maths A
Music A

All IGCSEs except Art and RS which were GCSEs.

Well done. Those are an excellent set of grades.

My bad didn't realise you were up for post grad haha
I've been reading some threads and I see that GCSE grades are taken into consideration in addition to A-level grades. If I'm an IB student interested in applying to Oxford, would my pre-IB year marks be taken into consideration when I apply? Or would they simply look at my final IB grade?
@221Breezeblocks @MR.ANONYMOUS 786 @SamLLLLiu @sarahbuxton20

My friends and I were wondering if we should apply to Oxford but my friends have since backed out of the idea because they say that Oxford's workload is just too much to bear. I find their reasoning silly but I admit it has got me wondering if Oxford's workload is indeed quite heavy to take on? Can anyone advise me?
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/Studies/oxford-university-oxbridge-excessive-workload-coursework-higher-education-qaa-a7085356.html

I've also seen many EU students on the Oxbridge threads who are desperate for the student loans and are worried about UK pulling out of EU.

As far as we are concerned, two things will happen when UK pulls out of the EU on June 23. We will need to apply for student visas just like the rest of the students from outside the EU who want to study in the UK. These student visas are subject to stringent checks for fraudulent prior qualifications, criminal convictions, proof of healthy bank balance and evidence of English proficiency level.

Next, the fee structure will be amended accordingly. We would need to pay International fees like all the students from the rest of the world, who for several decades have diligently paid up their costly tuition fees to the UK universities directly prior to the commencement of their studies, completed their degrees and then return to their home countries to seek employment.

This is different to most of us EU students who take up these student loans, one after another and simply disappear after we've completed our studies without repaying the loans and the British government has to write off our bad debts. It's been reported several times and I'm really embarrassed when I read such articles. Why do we have such poor attitudes?
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/672898/eu-students-uk-taxpayers-89-million-fee-fleeing-tuition-fees

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/9948449/EU-students-10-times-more-likely-to-avoid-repaying-loans.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10479178/Student-loans-thousands-of-Europeans-failing-to-repay-debts.html
Hi people at Oxford :biggrin:

Just a couple of questions for you...!

1. Does the university have a lot of research going on that the students can get involved with? So, for example, I would hopefully be studying Classics and wondered if there would be projects I could get involved with?

2. Without this coming across in the wrong way(!), can you have a good time or does everyone like to work?! I would like a university that you can have a good time at and you can easily make friends and not where everyone just goes to study. I've heard about the typical Oxford stereotypes and just hoped to shed some light on whether that's true...?!?!

3. How's the sport at Oxford? Are there lots of matches you can play against the other colleges? Also are there sports facilities around the city, where's the nearest gym for example?

4. Are there many societies you can get involved with to mix with people who aren't in your year and don't take your subject?

Thanks for your help guys :p:)
Can I have the £9000?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending