The Student Room Group

Law 03 AQA 25th Jan 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I actually prefer the contract bit in AQA more than the criminal bit ....may be a personal preference though...
Original post by SKPD11

Original post by SKPD11
Haha yeah I thought of doing that cause in old papers they usually put like" discuss x's liability for the murder of y" but in the new papers they don't give hints they just say for the incident with y, if you get me :s
And no not at all, got B's in both (resitting to pull them up to a's hopefully) you?

do they not? :s im sure in atleast one of the scenario questions they tell u whether its murder or involuntary
that's really good, i got A's in both the law exams, and a C overall in bio but im re-sitting the unit 2 need atleast a B - i absolutely hate biology :frown: lol
Original post by Durido

Original post by Durido
I actually prefer the contract bit in AQA more than the criminal bit ....may be a personal preference though...

have u sat both the exams?
Reply 23
Original post by messy_teardrops
do they not? :s im sure in atleast one of the scenario questions they tell u whether its murder or involuntary
that's really good, i got A's in both the law exams, and a C overall in bio but im re-sitting the unit 2 need atleast a B - i absolutely hate biology :frown: lol

Well done! I love biology but I still find it really hard, and it's just getting harder. I'm redoing unit 1 (for the third time) and both the law units but I never finish a law paper! Especially unit 1 , there's far too much to write.
Original post by SKPD11

Original post by SKPD11
Well done! I love biology but I still find it really hard, and it's just getting harder. I'm redoing unit 1 (for the third time) and both the law units but I never finish a law paper! Especially unit 1 , there's far too much to write.

i used to love biology thats why i chose it for a-level, urghh its not even that i dont understand it cos i do, there is just sooo much to remember! they just cram everything in
i always need a extra 5 minutes in the law exams, but doing model answers for the first 2 units really helps especially if u time them and then improve :smile:
Reply 25
i used to love biology thats why i chose it for a-level, urghh its not even that i dont understand it cos i do, there is just sooo much to remember! they just cram everything in
i always need a extra 5 minutes in the law exams, but doing model answers for the first 2 units really helps especially if u time them and then improve :smile:

Actually I take back what I said had my law mock today and one of the questions specified that it was murder not manslaughter, really hope that happens in the real exam! Biology yeah I guess unit two was pretty long especially the stupid chapter on transport in organisms - that never ended honestly!
Original post by SKPD11

Original post by SKPD11
Actually I take back what I said had my law mock today and one of the questions specified that it was murder not manslaughter, really hope that happens in the real exam! Biology yeah I guess unit two was pretty long especially the stupid chapter on transport in organisms - that never ended honestly!

yeah i hope so too! so is the question always gonna be on either murder or invol?
i really hate the stuff on biodiveristy its taking me forever to learn it again!
Reply 27
yeah i hope so too! so is the question always gonna be on either murder or invol?
i really hate the stuff on biodiveristy its taking me forever to learn it again!

I think so yeah. All we have to do is recognise the 3 main posibillities like murder with the two defences, both involuntary manslaughters with a general defence and then the combination of murder with 1 defence and 1 kind of involuntary manslaughter.
Reply 28
Hi, i took my mock today didnt go as well as i thought it would. The C question is pretty simple but a lot of effort, you can just prepare as there are certain things they can ask from. Is there a standard structure for the criminal liability questions? E.g. go through:
AR/MR
Offence.. As i find it hard to write a lot of content i only wrote 3/4 of a page for 25marks which is way too less!
Reply 29
have u sat both the exams?

Well I did the contract and the criminal combination at As and I must admit that when it came to deciding whether I wanted to do contract or criminal for unit 3 I remembered the contract cases as being more memorable , as I said it might a personal preference .....
Reply 30
I am doing the criminal section on the paper and I'm really confused because i've just looked at past papers and question 03 and 06 are the EXACT same question! Does this mean you answer it twice? I really don't understand! Please can someone explain.
Original post by blue_

Original post by blue_
I am doing the criminal section on the paper and I'm really confused because i've just looked at past papers and question 03 and 06 are the EXACT same question! Does this mean you answer it twice? I really don't understand! Please can someone explain.

u only answer 3 questions (25 marks each)
theres going to be 2 scenario questions, so its best to read both of them n look at the questions and choose which ONE you like best BUT dont do both of them!
the third question is always the same, so u do have the revise all the evaluation questions
hope i helped :smile:
Reply 32
u only answer 3 questions (25 marks each)
theres going to be 2 scenario questions, so its best to read both of them n look at the questions and choose which ONE you like best BUT dont do both of them!
the third question is always the same, so u do have the revise all the evaluation questions
hope i helped :smile:

Ok thanks so much! Don't know why I didn't know this. Just to clarify, only pick ONE scenario? :smile:
Original post by blue_

Original post by blue_
Ok thanks so much! Don't know why I didn't know this. Just to clarify, only pick ONE scenario? :smile:

yes, there are going to be two but you only answer one
Reply 34
yes, there are going to be two but you only answer one

woo! Do are the papers follow the same structure that one scenario is murder and an offences against the person and the second scenario is oapa and invol or vol manslaughter? :smile:
Original post by blue_

Original post by blue_
woo! Do are the papers follow the same structure that one scenario is murder and an offences against the person and the second scenario is oapa and invol or vol manslaughter? :smile:

yea both scenarios are going to be :
non-fatal
either murder/invol - sometimes it tells u which one its going to be, but other times they try to trick u nd just write 'discuss the liability of bla bla'
evaluation

(just in case if u dont know - voluntary (DR & LOC) are used as defences for murder so they go hand in hand - there wont be a direct question on vol) :biggrin:
Reply 36
I'm confused, with regards to the section on murder, do you always have to write about DR and LOC as well??
Reply 37
Original post by blue_
I'm confused, with regards to the section on murder, do you always have to write about DR and LOC as well??

Yes you do have to apply both if they are present. But they can ask you a question when you talk about murder on of the above defences and 1 kind of involuntary manslaughter
Reply 38
Original post by blue_

If there's a question and you can see that it's not involuntary manslaughter (unlawful act manslaughter or gross negligence manslaughter)* because the defendant has the mens rea for murder (malice aforethought, express (intention to kill) or implied (intention to cause serious harm))* you first identify, define, explain and apply murder to the scenario. Then identify whether either defence of loss of control or of diminished responsibility is present. If one of them is you identify, define, explain and apply it to the scenario, explaining that this would mean that the defendant was convicted of voluntary manslaughter instead of murder.

*Sorry for the little notes, I'm not implying you don't know anything! I'm just trying to be clear and I don't know if I've been taught in the same way as you!

Hope this helps!
Reply 39
Original post by lorab
If there's a question and you can see that it's not involuntary manslaughter (unlawful act manslaughter or gross negligence manslaughter)* because the defendant has the mens rea for murder (malice aforethought, express (intention to kill) or implied (intention to cause serious harm))* you first identify, define, explain and apply murder to the scenario. Then identify whether either defence of loss of control or of diminished responsibility is present. If one of them is you identify, define, explain and apply it to the scenario, explaining that this would mean that the defendant was convicted of voluntary manslaughter instead of murder.

*Sorry for the little notes, I'm not implying you don't know anything! I'm just trying to be clear and I don't know if I've been taught in the same way as you!

Hope this helps!

This is great thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending