The Student Room Group

Costa Concordia: captain ‘says he tripped and fell into lifeboat

i just read this and heard it on the news, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022170/Costa-Concordia-captain-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-lifeboat.html
i thought his excuse was abosultuely hilarious, but do you think its a captain's duty to stay on the ship till the end?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Reply 2
what happened to captain goes down with the ship?
Reply 3
Original post by Square

we moved out of the middle ages.
Reply 4
:sigh:This is so daft and shouldnt be funny.. and yet it sounds like something from mr bean :giggle:
Reply 5
Priceless.

Does he seriously expect people to believe that?
Reply 6
Original post by Square

He certainly isn't a fan of Dido's 'White Flag' :biggrin:
I really don't get why the Captain has to "go down with the ship" .. seriously..

You get one life.. the Captain could say.. decide to stay and possibly die or stay alive.. what would you honestly do?
Did he slip and fall into the taxi he allegedly ended up taking?
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm not sure about to the very end, however this man not only failed on a moral level he also broke the law, in Italy the captain has a duty of care towards his passengers and by him "falling" on a lifeboat so early when so many were still on the ship he utterly breached it, he also spat in the face of international customary law when he jumped boat

I would say it is his duty to stay until he has done his utmost to ensure the safety of as many passengers as possible, but if theres nothing more he could do then i expect he would leave the ship.
Reply 10
Original post by Dee Leigh
Did he slip and fall into the taxi they he allegedly ended up taking?

:rofl:
Reply 12
Apparently he fell up the stairs into the lifeboat
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9027129/Cruise-disaster-Costa-Concordia-mystery-blonde-defends-captain-Francesco-Schettino.html

according to this lady the captain was not one of the first to leave, he was there until at least 23:50

it will be an interesting court case
Original post by Darth Stewie
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9027129/Cruise-disaster-Costa-Concordia-mystery-blonde-defends-captain-Francesco-Schettino.html

according to this lady the captain was not one of the first to leave, he was there until at least 23:50

it will be an interesting court case

there was a recording of the captin/coast gaurd conversation and I think the captain said he was no longer on the ship and he had called abandon ship. So if they can get an accurate time frame for that then it won't matter what this woman says.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
:rofl:

:biggrin:
Reply 17
Isn't that usually the excuse people make when they turn up at hospital with things stuck up their backside?

"I was doing x,y or z naked and I tripped and fell onto the deodorant can/dildo/action man/butt plug/bratwurst......"
Reply 18
wouldnt it be ironic if he did actually 'fall in to' the life boat ? no one would believe him anyway :P
its like when you hear about people ending up in hospital to have off objects removed from them like i remember reading about a chap who had an action man or the like complete with condom removed from him who said he fell on it ... did his pants also fly off and he drop an unwrapped jonny in it aswell?:daydreaming:
but as for whether he should have stayed on the ship? of course! it is a captains duty to stay on board untill everyone who can be saved is saved not flee like a bloody lost rabbit, disgraceful!
Reply 19
This guy obviously had a total nervous breakdown once he realised the ship was sinking.... But the excused he is making to claw back some dignity just make him sound like a complete fool.
He won't be prosecuted for making himself look like an a***, but it changes nothing in the coming manslaughter trial.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending