The Student Room Group

Oxford University invests in cluster bombs that kill innocent people!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Magnentius
Financial sense over morals? You'd make an excellent banker.

They are not responsible for companies they invest in, obviously, but to choose to fund a company with such a reputation is a bad move, since it is to knowingly fund such undesirable technologies.

Then why put money in any American company, knowing that the taxes it pays will be used for the army?
Reply 21
Original post by Organ
Yeah yeah whatever. You might be pleased that I wrote to an individual at Oxford University Endowment Management Ltd about this investment ages ago (this is old news - it was reported ages ago) and the morality of one of the world's best universities investing in human butcher devices. Happy? :flutter:

True story, bro. Twas on the homepage this thread.

Lol :lol: got nothing to be happy about. But yes, what you did was good :yy:
Reply 22
Original post by ForKicks
Lockheed Martin also work in renewable energy, healthcare, IT and Space. What is to say the money isn't being used to fund that? It is stupid to say they are condoning cluster bombs just because they invest in a company that manufactures them. It is not even like the company drops it themselves, the bombs are contracted by US army. If they didn't make them, then someone else would. It is the army that makes everything possible.

Arms manufacturers commonly invest in areas such as the environment, and other pleasant areas in order to distract attention from their more undesirable projects.

Clearly, you have been taken in by this.

If you invest in a company that manufacturers a certain weapon, then you are implicitly acknowledging that your money may go to that area of development. Ergo, you have taken a moral position where you consider that not to be an obstacle to investment. Which is tantamount to not caring about cluster bombs and the mass civilian casualties that result from them.

The army does not create munitions, companies do. This should be obvious to you because we are talking about Lockheed Martin whom, unless you consider them in a rather abstract way, are not an army.

I find your statement that 'it is the army that makes everything possible' extremely terrifying.
Reply 23
Arms manufacturers commonly invest in areas such as the environment, and other pleasant areas in order to distract attention from their more undesirable projects.

Clearly, you have been taken in by this.

If you invest in a company that manufacturers a certain weapon, then you are implicitly acknowledging that your money may go to that area of development. Ergo, you have taken a moral position where you consider that not to be an obstacle to investment. Which is tantamount to not caring about cluster bombs and the mass civilian casualties that result from them.

The army does not create munitions, companies do. This should be obvious to you because we are talking about Lockheed Martin whom, unless you consider them in a rather abstract way, are not an army.

I find your statement that 'it is the army that makes everything possible' extremely terrifying.

But you can stretch that to: you know every American company pays taxes, you know the American government spends taxes on the army. Therefore you know that your money can be spent on these weapons.

If Lockheed didn't make them, someone else would! It's not like by not investing a few hundred k you are changing this.
Reply 24
Then why put money in any American company, knowing that the taxes it pays will be used for the army?

Precisely my point.
Reply 25
But you can stretch that to: you know every American company pays taxes, you know the American government spends taxes on the army. Therefore you know that your money can be spent on these weapons.

If Lockheed didn't make them, someone else would! It's not like by not investing a few hundred k you are changing this.

Ah, but directly funding an arms manufacture is a rather different matter. It is extremely direct.

This seems to be a defence of Lockheed Martin. I am not sure there's much logic in simply saying that somebody else would do it. Is that the limit of your morals?
Reply 26
Ah, but directly funding an arms manufacture is a rather different matter. It is extremely direct.

This seems to be a defence of Lockheed Martin. I am not sure there's much logic in simply saying that somebody else would do it. Is that the limit of your morals?

I see the demand for these weapons as immoral, not their production. I guess that is the fundamental divide between our opinions :smile: Morality is always individual like this!
Reply 27
Original post by Manzzzzz

Oxford University was one of those Universities who last year were vocally supporting the massive student tuition increase that was shoved through by the current Conservative government. Crying "poor", Oxford stressed the money was needed to strengthen Oxford's position in the top 10 countries of the world.

Fight this investment university students, it is not all it seems. Don't let your money help a company make deadly weapons.

Some students have said they will be fighting this investment and I urge you to join them if you are present. Also to add, when the UK is going through one of the worst economic climates, why is one of it's most venerable educational bodies investing in an American company? Did "invest in the UK" not spring to mind!

Peace.

SOURCE

Would you say the same if a university invested in a cigarette company? An alcohol company? Perhaps McDonalds?
Reply 28
I see the demand for these weapons as immoral, not their production. I guess that is the fundamental divide between our opinions :smile: Morality is always individual like this!

For your sportsmanly like attitude to debates, which is a rather nice change for TSR, i salute you :tongue:.
Reply 29
Original post by Xarren
Errmm. I really don't understand your argument.

Its research. Universities support research. Universities perform research.

You might disagree with what is being researched - Yet you wish to live in a safe country.

Would you invest in Iran's Nuclear Program?

And I don't know what your on about, safe country?
Reply 30
Would you invest in Iran's Nuclear Program?

And I don't know what your on about, safe country?

Research is undertaken on weapon programmes to ensure that UK defense systems are up to date. Hence keeping the country safe.

Why Iran's? English one, if I had the money? Probably not, but there are many other military research fields I would invest in - Fields I currently work in.
Reply 31
Original post by Xarren
Research is undertaken on weapon programmes to ensure that UK defense systems are up to date. Hence keeping the country safe.

Why Iran's? English one, if I had the money? Probably not, but there are many other military research fields I would invest in - Fields I currently work in.

This is not the point I am trying to make, but I understand.

It's about a reputable UK university investing in a company that creates these cluster bombs for which there is a treaty against and which have been used illegally by countries. Finding loopholes in a treaty is no exception.
Reply 32
Original post by JOR2010
Would you say the same if a university invested in a cigarette company? An alcohol company? Perhaps McDonalds?

It is a persons choice to smoke, drink and eat. Dropping illegal bombs on innocent people on the other hand.
Reply 33
:facepalm:

What you mean of course is, Oxford have invested in a multi-billion dollar company that has one small section producing cluster bombs, with other, far more active, profitable and productive sections producing planes, ground vehicles and other technology.

Why do you people always miss out the context.
Reply 34
Original post by Steevee
:facepalm:

What you mean of course is, Oxford have invested in a multi-billion dollar company that has one small section producing cluster bombs, with other, far more active, profitable and productive sections producing planes, ground vehicles and other technology.

Why do you people always miss out the context.

Yes they also have more advanced and cleaner ways to kill people.
Reply 35

It is a persons choice to smoke, drink and eat. Dropping illegal bombs on innocent people on the other hand.

Do you believe America just drops cluster bombs on civilians on purpose? Or perhaps, for fun?
Reply 36
Yes they also have more advanced and cleaner ways to kill people.

Oh no. Arms companies exist. These companies that give us the ability to totally overpower and stop killings in general, that allow us the overwhelming force to stop conflicts before they escalate, these weapons that allow us to advance to a stage in warfare where we don;t send wave after wave of man to their death. What terrible, terrible people they are :facepalm2:
Reply 37
Original post by Organ
But look how cool Lockheed Martin F-35 lightning's look!

I know lol. be honest everybody would you rather spend money on cool shizz like the above or chuck it into the sinkhole that is

Reply 38
Original post by JOR2010
Do you believe America just drops cluster bombs on civilians on purpose? Or perhaps, for fun?

All I'm saying is nobody has a right to kill innocent people including children.

Original post by Steevee
Oh no. Arms companies exist. These companies that give us the ability to totally overpower and stop killings in general, that allow us the overwhelming force to stop conflicts before they escalate, these weapons that allow us to advance to a stage in warfare where we don;t send wave after wave of man to their death. What terrible, terrible people they are :facepalm2:

Obviously, on the other hand what do you think of Iran's nuclear program?
So is this thread officially declared a fail?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending